How would you run a clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think if a client knows they are screwing their dog over and not getting it treatment and they have the money, then they shouldn't be pet owners.

That said, do my animals need things right now? Yes, a dental and a possible tooth extraction. Can I afford it? No. But in the mean time I am doing what I can, and bringing her into work every so often to have her looked at to make sure she is okay.

The expensive nail trims etc are a bunch of malarky and I will never charge my clients that sort of price if I ever own my own practice.

Vet med will let me help all animals, humans included. I think if you don't like people you should go work for the irs or become a political campaign manager

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Not giving Frontline in the winter and brushing your pet's teeth instead of getting dentals does not make you an irresponsible owner nor does it make you ignorant. Solid point!!

Thanks for contributing to the discussion in a meaningful way.

hand scaling and brushing teeth are NOT the same thing.

thats all.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if they are just animals, what's the reasoning for going into vet med? :confused:

I love my pets, without them I probably would not be the person I am today. That is why I want to go into vet med, and clearly the admissions committee believes I can do this too.

That being said everyone has limits to what they can afford. If my dog, say, suffered a lesion to his spinal cord due to a herniated disk I would probably euthanize her because I can't afford the surgery. If my child had the same problem I would go bankrupt trying to do everything possible. That is the difference I am talking about. I would not go bankrupt for a dog. That's irresponsible.

So I am a bad dog owner because I can't spend 1000s on her? Her whole life she has been on a good dog food, she is healthy, I walk her 5 miles a day, and she is extremely happy. But if it came down to buying groceries and paying for expensive surgery for a dog, I would pick groceries.

So because I can't afford what many people can, some people on here say I should not own pets... that is kind of snobby if you ask me. Everyone has personal limits on what they can and can't afford.

I would rather take a dog out of a shelter and give it the best life that I can then seeing it euthanized. There are millions of unwanted dogs and cats... saying someone should not own pets because they don't make that much money is crazy. For you people on here that would rather see a dog euthanized then to be owned by someone who makes minimum wage, maybe you need to re-evaluate the whole picture, instead of judging someone for how much money they make.

Thanks for contributing to the discussion in a meaningful way.

Seeing that I am the only one to acknowledge or respond to your comment is pretty telling about the merits of your own contributions. In other words: you're welcome...

hand scaling and brushing teeth are NOT the same thing.

thats all.

I think he scales and brushes and wonders if such behavior is to be deemed irresponsible. Not to mention, he doesn't apply Frontline in the winter!!! :eek:

Golden, I'm not really referring to not being able to pay for certain things. Just the attitude of it's just a dog. I'm ok with not making your pet the most important thing ever, but I still don't see them as just pets.

I think he scales and brushes and wonders if such behavior is to be deemed irresponsible. Not to mention, he doesn't apply Frontline in the winter!!! :eek:

I don't think he is wondering if its irresponsible to do that, he knows its not. He is making the point that you don't need to give your animal the best of the best to be considered a responsible pet owner.

My mom has a dog that has never been on flea protection, has never gotten fleas, and he is fine.

I don't think he is wondering if its irresponsible to do that, he knows its not. He is making the point that you don't need to give your animal the best of the best to be considered a responsible pet owner.

My mom has a dog that has never been on flea protection, has never gotten fleas, and he is fine.

Fair enough. I was just trying to clarify and he responded with sarcasm. Over it. :D

Golden, I'm not really referring to not being able to pay for certain things. Just the attitude of it's just a dog. I'm ok with not making your pet the most important thing ever, but I still don't see them as just pets.

Don't worry. It was just a human that said it. ;)

When I said the statement "just animals" I was referring to the fact that all pets are not going to have the GOLDEN standard of medical care until they are all covered under medical plans similar to humans which will never happen because, well, they are just animals! The reason we can spay, castrate, and euthanize them is because of the fact that they are just animals. My main point was that some people can and do treat pets as children and will go bankrupt for them, but the majority of your clients will not.

This does not mean that pets are not special, nor does it mean that they should be treated like a inanimate object like a lamp or a table. It just means that because they are animals we have a choice on how much money to spend on them. In my opinion, a responsible pet owner is one who provides what they can for there animal, not someone who spends 1000s.

This is an example of taking a statement out of context and changing it around to mean something completely different.

I was sorta referring to this:

I don't think that the "irresponsible owners" they were referring to were the ones that don't apply Frontline in the winter and hand brushed their pet's teeth instead of getting dentals.

hand scaling and 'hand brushing' (what else would you brush with?.... :scared:) are two different things.

When I said the statement "just animals" I was referring to the fact that all pets are not going to have the GOLDEN standard of medical care until they are all covered under medical plans similar to humans which will never happen because, well, they are just animals! The reason we can spay, castrate, and euthanize them is because of the fact that they are just animals. My main point was that some people can and do treat pets as children and will go bankrupt for them, but the majority of your clients will not.

This does not mean that pets are not special, nor does it mean that they should be treated like a inanimate object like a lamp or a table. It just means that because they are animals we have a choice on how much money to spend on them. In my opinion, a responsible pet owner is one who provides what they can for there animal, not someone who spends 1000s.

This is an example of taking a statement out of context and changing it around to mean something completely different.

Is somebody that takes in a pet knowing that they would not be able to afford to treat the animal should it get ill or hurt a responsible pet owner?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is somebody that takes in a pet knowing that they would not be able to afford to treat the animal should it get ill or hurt a responsible pet owner?

ill or hurt is a extremely broad category. Treating a broken toe vs. treating a broken back are two totally different things in terms of price.

I had a nutella banana strawberry crepe today.. :3

My main point was that some people can and do treat pets as children and will go bankrupt for them, but the majority of your clients will not.

This.

The take-away point of the last 3 pages.

I am glad that you want to practice the GOLD STANDARD... but we ARE just talking about animals here... not people. Believe it or not I would not spend 1000s of dollars on my dog, even if I could afford it... Because ITS A DOG. If a client comes in with a 7 yo dog with treatable cancer then I would refer them to a oncologist. But if it were my dog I would put it to sleep.

So I am a bad dog owner because I can't spend 1000s on her? Her whole life she has been on a good dog food, she is healthy, I walk her 5 miles a day, and she is extremely happy. But if it came down to buying groceries and paying for expensive surgery for a dog, I would pick groceries.

So because I can't afford what many people can, some people on here say I should not own pets... that is kind of snobby if you ask me. Everyone has personal limits on what they can and can't afford.

If you look back to the post about it "just being a dog", you wrote that you wouldn't pay $1000s even if you could afford it. I don't think anyone's a bad pet owner for not being able to afford medical care that's beyond their means, but if you can afford to treat your pet and choose not to just because you don't want to..... that's irresponsible. IMHO, if you don't want to spend money on your pets' dental care and other treatable conditions when you can comfortably afford it then you shouldn't have a pet.
Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's how it came across.

I thought there was something like that! I did not twist your words!

If you look back to the post about it "just being a dog", you wrote that you wouldn't pay $1000s even if you could afford it. I don't think anyone's a bad pet owner for not being able to afford medical care that's beyond their means, but if you can afford to treat your pet and choose not to just because you don't want to..... that's irresponsible. IMHO, if you don't want to spend money on your pets' dental care and other treatable conditions when you can comfortably afford it then you shouldn't have a pet.
Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's how it came across.

Oh snap!! At least somebody here is paying attention......:corny:........

Oh snap!! At least somebody here is paying attention......:corny:........

Fink1.jpg

My issue with your issue with golden standard medical care for animals is not that you wouldn't do it with your personal pets. To me, thats like whatever. My issue is that you said you would not offer your clients and patients gold standard medical care, and to me, this is extremely wrong. You said that because they're "just animals" you didn't see the need to offer such services.

I'm not talking about you having every toy imaginable onsite. I'm talking about after you make a diagnosis, you go in and explain the treatment plan that is MOST LIKELY to cure their animal - regardless of cost and the need to refer. Only and ONLY after that plan is refused do you go to the next plan that is not as good but the next best. Your job as a veterinarian is not to judge how much people can and should pay - but to give them options for the treatment of their pets - and those options should ALWAYS start at the best option. REGARDLESS of whether you have that equipment on site or the cost. (Obviously there are a few extreme examples of this - super remote communities where referral is completely out of the question etc. Though you still shouldn't judge. We had a farmer drive his dog for 7 hours to bring it to our emergency clinic because it was the dogs best chance).

Also if you explain "this is the best plan for your pet and the one most likely to yield a good result" you would be surprised how often even cash strapped people say yes and make it work financially.

If you are not prepared to offer your patients gold standard options because "their just dogs" (as in your attitude, not the clients) that does disgust me and makes me very sad about your future patients.

I would rather take a dog out of a shelter and give it the best life that I can then seeing it euthanized. There are millions of unwanted dogs and cats... saying someone should not own pets because they don't make that much money is crazy. For you people on here that would rather see a dog euthanized then to be owned by someone who makes minimum wage, maybe you need to re-evaluate the whole picture, instead of judging someone for how much money they make.

Sometimes I do wish they would just leave them there. Because we're not talking about people who have trouble paying expensive emergency bills - I've seen people who literally cannot afford basic care - vaccinations, even antibiotics and pain relief. We even had someone refuse euth the other night because they could not afford the euthanasia (we did it for free in the end). That IS wrong. Adopting a pet is a responsibility. You should not take on the responsibility if you actually CAN NOT afford to. Obviously we're not talking about most of the general population but I do feel strongly against really poor people adopting animals. If they're struggling to put food on THEIR table, HELL NO should they adopt a pet.

My issue is that you said you would not offer your clients and patients gold standard medical care, and to me, this is extremely wrong. [/B]You said that because they're "just animals" you didn't see the need to offer such services.

I never said I would not offer it. In fact I previously stated that if I made my diagnosis and I didn't have the equipment to fix the problem then I would refer... I also said that I see no problems with putting all options on the table and discussing with each option and letting the client decide what to do with the animal. I also love how you say that you should not judge people when it comes to how much money they are willing to spend on a pet (farmer situation) and then say poor people should not own pets. Sounds a little judgie to me. :rolleyes:

Idk how this thread went from business practices to attacking me because "I am going to be an awful vet" but its getting a little crazy. I don't feel like you can judge someone on how good of a vet they are going to be over the internet and especially when that person has not even been through vet school yet. Everyone has there own opinions/ values/ ways of doing things and every vet clinic is run differently on the business side of things. I am more interested in knowing about business practices. If you all want to talk about morality and animals go for it, make a new thread about it. But that is a subject that has no right answer so I'll just stick with my opinions about animal welfare and you can stick with yours. Leave it at that.

I never said I would not offer it. In fact I previously stated that if I made my diagnosis and I didn't have the equipment to fix the problem then I would refer... I also said that I see no problems with putting all options on the table and discussing with each option and letting the client decide what to do with the animal.

Didn't get that feeling when you said this:

I am glad that you want to practice the GOLD STANDARD... but we ARE just talking about animals here... not people.

Doesn't exactly scream "DW i will offer gold standard treatment options!"

I also love how you say that you should not judge people when it comes to how much money they are willing to spend on a pet (farmer situation) and then say poor people should not own pets. Sounds a little judgie to me. :rolleyes:

Thats two different things out of context. When I said don't judge how much people may or may not spend on a pet, I meant in the consult room. No matter how poor they look, how uncaring they look, how much they seem like they'll take the cheap/easy option, offer the gold standard first anyway. Lots of vets judge clients in the consult room and tailor their initial treatment plan off how the clients seem instead of just offering the best option to everyone. Which obviously shouldn't be happening.

I don't think really really poor people should be owning pets. I say that for the pets best interest. Would be ok with people adopting a pet if they could not afford to feed it? So why be ok with people adopting pets if they cannot afford basic health care? Its another essential need. So many of the reasons pets get abandoned in the first place is because people don't think about the true cost of owning a pet, and all it entails. So not discourage people who clearly cannot afford the expenses involved in getting a pet?

Idk how this thread went from business practices to attacking me because "I am going to be an awful vet" but its getting a little crazy. I don't feel like you can judge someone on how good of a vet they are going to be over the internet and especially when that person has not even been through vet school yet.

And yet for someone who hasn't been through vet school yet you have some very strong opinions as to how things should be done... strong opinions breed strong responses.
Especially when you start talking about money. How much you charge a client directly affects how much you can pay your vets. Which I'm sure we can all agree is generally dismal and needs to be improved.

Didn't get that feeling when you said this:

This is so funny because that was not what I was talking about, I was referring to ALL clinics not having every piece of equiptment in there clinic and how thats not necessary. Not only would you not use the equiptment as much because not all clients want to pay for it but its just unreasonable. Having 100,000s of dollars of extra equipment in a human doctor office might be needed because it will be used a lot. But for vet med its probably more reasonable to refer. Lets look at the NEXT statement in that SAME POST. Wow, talking about taking something out of context :laugh:

"I have never stepped foot inside of a small animal vet clinic that had these things that was not a secondary or tertiary clinic. Why would you need to buy all these expensive things if you can just refer? Keep your prices lower for the general care and if they want more they can easily have it. If I don't believe that I could care for an animal safely is when I would talk to the owner about other clinics. Every vet has a limit to what there clinic can do.

Just an example: I did have to put one of my dogs to sleep recently. The vet I take her too never once offered euthanasia as an option. He offered all the options which were all referrals and the only place that could could take her to fix her problem was the vet school. I simply cannot afford the treatments at the vet school so I told him I would like her euthanize instead. He is a very reasonable priced vet AND he is a good vet. He even refunded all of the charges for the medicine I bought the previous day even though I chopped all the pills up in half and he waved the PE fee. I did not ask him to do this he just did. We don't talk about how much money I have he just puts all the options on the table and lets me pick the one that is suitable for my budget. Do you not think this is a reasonable thing to do? He was offering me the best of the best but I just didn't take it. "

Thats two different things out of context. When I said don't judge how much people may or may not spend on a pet, I meant in the consult room. No matter how poor they look, how uncaring they look, how much they seem like they'll take the cheap/easy option, offer the gold standard first anyway. Lots of vets judge clients in the consult room and tailor their initial treatment plan off how the clients seem instead of just offering the best option to everyone. Which obviously shouldn't be happening.

I don't think really really poor people should be owning pets.

Ok so basically your are saying don't judge someone by the way they look. But you can judge the really really poor people.... how can you judge someone at all based on this?
Maybe they used to have jobs and they lost there jobs and they are attached to there beloved pet? Maybe they are just going through a rough patch in there lives and they are trying to get back on there feet. I know a girl who was homeless for a time and she lived in her car with her cat.... now she is doing great and can afford everything the cat needs. She says that she would have given up if it was not for that single cat. The cat kept her sane through her ordeal and she got through it. But according to your standards that cat should have been euthanized.

How would you know how much money a person makes or how they live there lives with out judging them? Unless you have a copy of there life story + there finances I don't think you should be the one telling them they can't have there pet. Just like you said, you would be surprised how much someone is willing to spend on an animal.

If a person literally had NO money and they went to a shelter to adopt a pet they would not be able to pay the adoption fee, which is often a few hundred dollars. And if they have no money and they find a dog or cat on the street or something, the animal would probably be better off hanging around someone who has no money vs. no one.

just+google+homeless+man+with+dog.+who+would+want+to+_ad5f14fdde530612d1526ce74557a007.jpg

That is just my opinion though. You can choose who you judge as much as you like. :shrug:

So why be ok with people adopting pets if they cannot afford basic health care?

Primarily I try to adopt a non-judgmental attitude about it because there's no set definition of "basic health care." Does it include a yearly wellness exam? Just vaccines from a free clinic? Flea/tick medication every month it's above 45 degrees? Year-round heartworm meds? Dentals or not? High-quality premium foods, or just whatever the owner can scrounge?

I think the animals are a whole lot better off in a low-income household with people who love them but can't provide medical care than they are getting stuck in a shelter for a few months and then put down when they don't get adopted.

My problem with not offering the golden standard first is that when clients see a list of options they will most likely choose the cheepest option first. My parents who are wealthy and love their animals would probably always choose the cheepest option because it was listed in the possibilities to cure their animal, so it must be viable. So why not save a couple hundred bucks?
In not listing the "BEST" option first you may be doing a diservice to the pet. Clients have typically not gone to vet school and are probably not human doctors either. If a chihuahua has a broken limb and the doctor tells them that splinting it is an option instead of doing a surgery to attatch the fragments with metal plates (sorry about the poor terminology) then a client will probably choose splinting because to them they see a price in the hundreds instead of the thousands. But when this exact case occured in my vet clinic, and the bone never healed because as the doctor had pointed out previously, the bones were broken at too much of an angle, and the owners eventually had to amputate; they ened up spending MORE money than they initially would have if they had gone with the best option, and the poor dog had to be in pain for months! (Sorry very run-ony).
Should this dog have been euthanized because it's owners couldn't initailly pay the large sum as you sugest Golden10? Or should it have been put in a shelter for the shelter vets to deal with? With every case there will be a grey area, and as vets we will have to navigate our clients through this.
"I never learned from a man who agreed with me.” Robert Heinlein

And yet for someone who hasn't been through vet school yet you have some very strong opinions as to how things should be done... strong opinions breed strong responses.

:thumbup:

golden i think where this thread went awry is that you started it asking for people's thoughts on how to run a clinic but then came in with very strong opinions about techs being compensated, certain prices (dentistry) being set too high, spending x amount of dollars on equipment is too much, etc...and then you dislike it when people disagree or argue against you. you can't expect to make strong statements about money and finances thinking everyone's going to agree with you. for what it's worth, i think while you're in school you'll be exposed to so much more of the behind the scenes aspects (how much of your time and energy and training comes into play, as well as how much your services are actually worth) that you might start to see a different side to things.

as a side note, i don't think having the mentality of catering towards the 'cheaper' side of medicine and referring out those things that you aren't able to handle is going to be the best for you in the long run. if you're trying to keep things affordable by not having certain types of equipment in house then what's going to keep the clients coming back to you after referrals? for the clients that are only after AHE/vax you're fine but you're only going to get their business once a year; if you have to refer a client for more than the basic derm issue because you don't have biopsy equipment, or aural hematomas because you don't want to spend the money on buying straight needles for that surgery, eventually they're going to think "hey why don't i just go to this second vet from now on because i'm probably going to be referred here anyway". the more services you can offer your client, the more loyal they're going to be to your practice because you'll be more convenient as well as more invested in their pets' care.

How can I reconcile not having money to take the gold standard of measures for my pets, while accepting the burden of hundreds of thousands in expenses for attending vet school...??

How can I reconcile not having money to take the gold standard of measures for my pets, while accepting the burden of hundreds of thousands in expenses for attending vet school...??

I was just going to say this....mind reader!! Refusing to pay thousands to save your own pets, but spending 100s of 1000s to save other peoples. If you didn't have the money to help your own dog where are you going to find the money for vet school. Obviously people can spend money how they see fight, but these things seem mutually exclusive....?

I was just going to say this....mind reader!! Refusing to pay thousands to save your own pets, but spending 100s of 1000s to save other peoples. If you didn't have the money to help your own dog where are you going to find the money for vet school. Obviously people can spend money how they see fight, but these things seem mutually exclusive....?

Because education is a long term investment that will hopefully pay for itself in the end.

I was only referring to my own perspective. I am pursuing this path so that I can can help protect the animal-human bond and many other reasons. I am willing to pay ungodly amounts of money to do so. If anything, this is just an extension of how I strive to care for the animals that are already in my life, from my own pets to the orphans that I foster and help run a rescue for. Again, this is just my own perception. I would never judge what others choose to do. :thumbup:

Investment in what? What are you hoping to get back in return?

Hopefully by getting a higher education one would a) make more money, b) have more opportunities for jobs c) be able to handle more problems in life because of education.

There are also other intangible benefits to getting the degree you want. Such as job satisfaction and living the type of lifestyle you want etc.

That is the reasons why I would like to go for a higher degree. I think I would have immense job satisfaction just being a vet tech too, but unfortunately I would like to make more money so I can live a more comfortable lifestyle. Not to mention that I really like working hard for something and then seeing it become a success in the end.

Hopefully by getting a higher education one would a) make more money, b) have more opportunities for jobs c) be able to handle more problems in life because of education.

There are also other intangible benefits to getting the degree you want. Such as job satisfaction and living the type of lifestyle you want etc.

That is the reasons why I would like to go for a higher degree. I think I would have immense job satisfaction just being a vet tech too, but unfortunately I would like to make more money so I can live a more comfortable lifestyle.

Thanks for sharing your motivations. After all, one's perceptions and values definitely shape the type of company, in this case a clinic, they will likely run. I think it is much more important to sort through ideas of why one really wants to pursue this path before ever figuring out how much they should charge for a dental. Personally, I would be very wary of going into this particular field primarily for financial benefits. But that is just me. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing your motivations. After all, one's perceptions and values definitely shape the type of company, in this case a clinic, they will likely run. I think it is much more important to sort through ideas of why one really wants to pursue this path before ever figuring out how much they should charge for a dental. Personally, I would be very wary of going into this particular field primarily for financial benefits. But that is just me. :thumbup:

Personally, I am going into the profession for the job satisfaction. I would also be just as happy being a tech, but since they don't make as much, I decided to go a few steps further. It's a mix of all those reasons, not just the money aspect. Material things really don't make me happy but having financial security is important for me. I don't plan on rolling in money... the only thing I hope for is just to live comfortably.

Personally, I am going into the profession for the job satisfaction. I would also be just as happy being a tech, but since they don't make as much, I decided to go a few steps further. It's a mix of all those reasons, not just the money aspect. Material things really don't make me happy but having financial security is important for me. I don't plan on rolling in money... the only thing I hope for is just to live comfortably.

What about being a veterinarian do you imagine will be more satisfying than your role as a technician? I personally feel that, while both fueled by similar passions and motivations, the two are vastly different professions that involve different lifestyles and academic paths. How have you determined that you will be happier with a DVM than without?

What about being a veterinarian do you imagine will be more satisfying than your role as a technician? I personally feel that, while both fueled by similar passions and motivations, the two are vastly different professions that involve different lifestyles and academic paths. How have you determined that you will be happier with a DVM than without?

Having a DVM gives you more opportunities to expand, grow, etc. It just opens more doors and you can do more with it then just a tech degree. Also, I really like school and learning so the more prolonged education path is really not that much of a deterrent for me. I also think that DVMs have a more comfortable lifestyle then techs. But that is just from what I have seen. I am sure every case is different.

Having a DVM gives you more opportunities to expand, grow, etc. It just opens more doors and you can do more with it then just a tech degree. Also, I really like school and learning so the more prolonged education path is really not that much of a deterrent for me. I also think that DVMs have a more comfortable lifestyle then techs. But that is just from what I have seen. I am sure every case is different.

I think the financial aspect is a trade-off. While it is true that veterinarians typically have higher income than their technicians, there are other factors involved. For starters, technicians are more likely to work set hours and get to leave after their job is completed each day. Whereas the doctor must take home his cases and will probably need to be available to his clients at all hours of the day. If the doctor is also the owner of his or her own clinic, the pressures and responsibilities multiply as the veterinarian not only has the added risk of keeping his business afloat, but need to protect the livelihood of his or her employees as well. On top of that are the aforementioned costs of getting a DVM. You will likely find yourself working your way out of debt for quite some time. Something that technicians have the luxury or not worrying about and that plays a large role in one's relative idea of what "living comfortably" entails. Some people are just not comfortable with the debt-to-income ratio that accompanies being a veterinarian.

I think this is a healthy discussion for all of us to have. And I imagine what we might learn from such reflection and increased self-awareness will have a profound affect on the type of business we will operate and the fulfillment we will hopefully achieve.

I think the financial aspect is a trade-off. While it is true that veterinarians typically have higher income than their technicians, there are other factors involved. For starters, technicians are more likely to work set hours and get to leave after their job is completed each day. Whereas the doctor must take home his cases and will probably need to be available to his clients at all hours of the day. If the doctor is also the owner of his or her own clinic, the pressures and responsibilities multiply as the veterinarian not only has the added risk of keeping his business afloat, but need to protect the livelihood of his or her employees as well. On top of that are the aforementioned costs of getting a DVM. You will likely find yourself working your way out of debt for quite some time. Something that technicians have the luxury or not worrying about and that plays a large role in one's relative idea of what "living comfortably" entails. Some people are just not comfortable with the debt-to-income ratio that accompanies being a veterinarian.

Veterinary associates can also work set hours of the day.Vet techs often times have to be called in after hours as well. It just depends on where you work. If there is a emergency clinic in your area, you may never have to be on call after hours. Veterinary medicine is a very broad field and you will find all different lifestyles. I think as long as you are smart about your finances, you should be ok with the debt. That's why its considered a long term investment, because it does not pay off right after school but rather it takes time.

Veterinary associates can also work set hours of the day.Vet techs often times have to be called in after hours as well. It just depends on where you work. If there is a emergency clinic in your area, you may never have to be on call after hours. Veterinary medicine is a very broad field and you will find all different lifestyles. I think as long as you are smart about your finances, you should be ok with the debt. That's why its considered a long term investment, because it does not pay off right after school but rather it takes time.

So, have you crunched the numbers and figured out how much you would need to make to live comfortably minus your debt repayments? Would be an interesting and beneficial exercise, no?

So people who have tried very hard, but still couldn't find a job, ate stupid about their financials? You're assuming that you're gonna get a great, high-paying job that will wipe away all you worries. That's not always what happens. What of the only place that will hire you barely pays enough to pay for your loans and living expenses and they are not always pleasing people to work with? Does that mean you didn't try hard enough/are stupid about your financials?

After working as a tech for a while, I can definitely say that if I didn't get into vet school, I would not be happy working as a tech. That's just me, though. They are definitely different professions.

So, have you crunched the numbers and figured out how much you would need to make to live comfortably minus your debt repayments? Would be an interesting and beneficial exercise, no?

Yes I have crunched the numbers. But I am not even sure what veterinary school I would like to go to yet. Still deciding between the ones I am accepted to. And it all depends on where I am living after vet school, significant others income, etc to be able to really crunch numbers. But I have faith that it will all work out eventually.

So people who have tried very hard, but still couldn't find a job, ate stupid about their financials? You're assuming that you're gonna get a great, high-paying job that will wipe away all you worries. That's not always what happens. What of the only place that will hire you barely pays enough to pay for your loans and living expenses and they are not always pleasing people to work with? Does that mean you didn't try hard enough/are stupid about your financials?

No one says its all going to magically work out. Thats why its called a long term INVESTMENT. There is a good chance it will all work out but there is also a chance that it won't. There is always risk involved when making investments.

Because your reasoning for going to vet school seems to have very little to do with actually liking animals, and your motivations seem to have more to do with financial security- wouldn't you be happier in human medicine? You would make so much more money, and would be saving the species you really care about. Just a thought...

Yes I have crunched the numbers. But I am not even sure what veterinary school I would like to go to yet. Still deciding between the ones I am accepted to. And it all depends on where I am living after vet school, significant others income, etc to be able to really crunch numbers. But I have faith that it will all work out eventually.

Congratulations on your acceptances. What schools are you currently choosing between?