How would you run a clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Because your reasoning for going to vet school seems to have very little to do with actually liking animals, and your motivations seem to have more to do with financial security- wouldn't you be happier in human medicine? You would make so much more money, and would be saving the species you really care about. Just a thought...

Um actually it has everything to do with liking animals. I am going into it mainly for the job satisfaction as I previously stated. The reason I am not staying as a tech is because I want to improve my lifestyle. I really don't like human medicine. It has its upsides and downsides but its not really for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My problem with not offering the golden standard first is that when clients see a list of options they will most likely choose the cheepest option first. My parents who are wealthy and love their animals would probably always choose the cheepest option because it was listed in the possibilities to cure their animal, so it must be viable. So why not save a couple hundred bucks?

Think through how that one goes, though. So first you offer them only the 'gold standard'. They refuse because they can't afford it. So you say "Well, we can try this. It's a little bit cheaper."

Now you look like the public image of the 'money-grubbing vet' because you sound like you're just trying to get whatever money out of them you can.

In my (limited!) experience, it's better to provide them with all (or some, if they are too numerous to list all) the treatment options right away, along with the pros and cons - including cost - of each.

If people are consistently choosing your cheapest option just because it's cheapest, you're probably not doing a good job enumerating the benefits of the more expensive therapy.

No, I don't think I am going in state because of where my SO wants to go.

Well, in that case, you are looking at at least $200K in cost of attending for your CHEAPEST option, that being Missouri. The other two would cost you tens of thousands more.

Starting a practice from scratch or buying a pre-existing one will cost at least 500K to get going and probably upwards of a million in some parts of the country. Maintenance costs are even tougher to gauge generically. Will depend on individial clinics and their needs and balance sheets. Thread on the topic of starting a practice:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=805829

How much income do you think you can bring in annually? Just a guess. Then we can start to understand what kind of financial stability and comfortability we're talking about.

Well, in that case, you are looking at at least $200K in cost of attending for your CHEAPEST option, that being Missouri. The other two would cost you tens of thousands more.

Starting a practice from scratch or buying a pre-existing one will cost at least 500K to get going and probably upwards of a million in some parts of the country. Maintenance costs are even tougher to gauge generically. Will depend on individial clinics and their needs and balance sheets. Thread on the topic of starting a practice:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=805829

How much income do you think you can bring in annually? Just a guess. Then we can start to understand what kind of financial stability and comfortability we're talking about.

When I mean financial stability I am talking about just paying bills. I dont need to live in a huge house and I don't even like material things.

Oh you forgot to add in my SO debt load as well ;) probably another 100K

I assume I will be paying around 1000 a month for student loans.

Can't tell you how much I can bring in annually because it depends on where I am living, what job I get... so many factors that I can't even begin to think about at this point.

When I mean financial stability I am talking about just paying bills. I dont need to live in a huge house and I don't even like material things.

Oh you forgot to add in my SO debt load as well ;) probably another 100K

I assume I will be paying around 1000 a month for student loans.

Can't tell you how much I can bring in annually because it depends on where I am living, what job I get... so many factors that I can't even begin to think about at this point.

My advice: MARRY RICH!!! Hope your significant other is headed towards a lucrative future on Wall Street. The real Gold Standard. :laugh:

Um actually it has everything to do with liking animals. I am going into it mainly for the job satisfaction as I previously stated. The reason I am not staying as a tech is because I want to improve my lifestyle. I really don't like human medicine. It has its upsides and downsides but its not really for me.

I just haven't gotten that impression from your previous posts, but if that is the case then great!

Think through how that one goes, though. So first you offer them only the 'gold standard'. They refuse because they can't afford it. So you say "Well, we can try this. It's a little bit cheaper."

Now you look like the public image of the 'money-grubbing vet' because you sound like you're just trying to get whatever money out of them you can.

In my (limited!) experience, it's better to provide them with all (or some, if they are too numerous to list all) the treatment options right away, along with the pros and cons - including cost - of each.

If people are consistently choosing your cheapest option just because it's cheapest, you're probably not doing a good job enumerating the benefits of the more expensive therapy.

I agree with you. It all has to do with appropriate communication. The most expensive option is not always the best option either.