Howard and Meharry Dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phamdmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't really done my research, but how come these two schools have lower standards, for like DAT and GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I haven't really done my research, but how come these two schools have lower standards, for like DAT and GPA?

They are minority oriented schools. If you are not an URM, chances are you may be held to even higher standards than other dental schools.

What "standards" are you talkin about? Are you referring to GPA and DAT?

Neither school has lower standards then other schools. People just assume that they do because the accept alot URM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Jigabodo meant that if you are not an URM, you should have a very unique and incredible application to be considered (spectacular GPA, DAT, unique characteristics that make your application shine well above the rest).

Even if the standards are "lower" lets keep in mind that the ADA and ADEA have no problem shutting down school that don't meet requirement. As you can see, Howard and Meharry have been up and running for over 100 years. The long history of serving the underserved is their motivation. It baffles me how when you say "MINORITY" or serving the underserved people, let me say EDUCATED PEOPLE, automatically assume there is ignorance. I think at the end of the day a 99% board passing rate for the class of 2008 speaks for itself. My suggestions, stick to the facts with the ADA and not the subjective opinions on this forum. At the end of the day, whatever school they suggest as legitimate, that's what matter! Blessings on your journey.....s

Reactions: 3 users
Check this. IMHO Meharry as well as Howard are two very good dental/medical schools. As someone above said, the 99% passing rate for the boards speaks for itself. We all know that GPA/DAT are not the end-all-be-all for admissions. There may be students who come from hardships or are even first generation college/grad students. Bottom line is, these schools have been catering to the "under-deserved" for a very long time, and have proven to produce very successfuly health care practicioners. Now, another issue at hand is the difference when people say "under-deserved" and "under-represented". Folks, it is 2008, not 1959. There is a greater mix of cultures than ever before. It is now a globalized world. Anyway, IMHO some "minorities" such as Asians, and descendents from India are OVER-REPRESENTED in the health care industry (I have many close friends that are Indian descent, one in particular, she was raised in a highly priviledged lifestyle, and said to me once "my parents told me to either be a doctor or marry a doctor"......so tell me whos being ignorant here?? she gets to put down "minority" on an application where others that may have had a less priviledged lifestyle but are non-minorities do not). My point is, race should no longer be a factor in todays application. However people that are "under-deserved" and come from disadvantaged circumstances (white, black, or asian) should be allowed to have the same chances as anyone else who had a privledged upbringing. Regards.

Sorry for the stupid question but which race applies to the URM in the dental field?

Anyway, IMHO some "minorities" such as Asians, and descendents from India are OVER-REPRESENTED in the health care industry

That's true, but they are not considered as minorities in terms of admission.

Usually, URM represent African American, Native Indian and Hispanic.
And I think it's fair to say about 80~90% of these URM populations are 'undeserved'.

Reactions: 1 user
It looks like you strive for the mission at Meharry. Often time, the overwhelming majority of people apply to schools because of "status" or "name." When a dentist is actually in practice, patients could care less... Anyway, I am assuming you are in the application process, correct? What I would do is definitely highlight your interest and motivation in your personal statement. I did the same thing! Stay on Meharry like 'white on rice' once your file is completed. Often times, students apply to Meharry as a back-up school and just sit back in wait for an interview because of the 22 overall average DAT.... Scores are good, but once again you could still do horribly in the Clinic or in the classroom. Some people can't have it all... So, Meharry is not gonna waste there time on a student that is not persistant. Stay atop your game, really become aquainted with Dr. Farmer-Dixon and Ms. Connolly AND Mr. Mosley. They will become a vital link in actually giving breadth to you motivation. Honestly, I think you will get in because you have the same set of ideals as MMC. APPLY EARLY!!!! Make certain that they know that and I will help you if I can when you interview. Keep me posted on the process!

It looks like you strive for the mission at Meharry. Often time, the overwhelming majority of people apply to schools because of "status" or "name." When a dentist is actually in practice, patients could care less... Anyway, I am assuming you are in the application process, correct? What I would do is definitely highlight your interest and motivation in your personal statement. I did the same thing! Stay on Meharry like 'white on rice' once your file is completed. Often times, students apply to Meharry as a back-up school and just sit back in wait for an interview because of the 22 overall average DAT.... Scores are good, but once again you could still do horribly in the Clinic or in the classroom. Some people can't have it all... So, Meharry is not gonna waste there time on a student that is not persistant. Stay atop your game, really become aquainted with Dr. Farmer-Dixon and Ms. Connolly AND Mr. Mosley. They will become a vital link in actually giving breadth to you motivation. Honestly, I think you will get in because you have the same set of ideals as MMC. APPLY EARLY!!!! Make certain that they know that and I will help you if I can when you interview. Keep me posted on the process!

Good insight! I am applying this coming June and that advice was/is essential! Thank you! I've heard great things about MMC so far and I haven't even been there to visit yet lol