Howard University C/O 2017: Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yungnaira

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Im a current Howard Pre-Pharmacy Student looking at HU's COP as a first choice.

This is for everyone who is applying to HU for matriculation in Fall 2013.

This is a place you can share your stats, interview info, and other application related business.

My stats are:

Prereqs GPA: 3.33
PCAT composite: Taking it Sept 26th
LORs: 1 VP of my fraternity and 1 from my Organic Chem Lab Instructor
Interview Skills: SOLID
Experience: No Pharmacy experience YET

Does anyone have any idea of the type of stats the school is looking for, I walked into the COP and they told me, "competitive scores would be required". WTH does that mean??

Members don't see this ad.

Belmont is my first choice and Howard and Chicago State are tied for second.
My stats are:
Cum GPA 3.43 science and math GPA 4.0
PCAT scheduled Sept 18th
14 years CPhT
Is it true Howard prefers candidates with bachlors? I only have an AA
I think you have an advantage since you are already a student at Howard.

I'm sure having a BS helps in terms of seeing things that would be on the PCAT but Howard just requires you to fulfill its pre-reqs which you could have easily done while obtaining your AA.

I'm also not sure about having an advantage but I do know it helps you become familiar with Admissions fiasco you will be sure to experience if you decide to apply. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW how are you studying for the PCAT (Kaplan, Dr. C .. )

Dr. Collins. The class is minuets from my house but I can't see spending $700 on it. I will buy the material for $300 instead. I was going to take him for Organic but he just retired. I think that's why the cost of the class went up.

I wonder if Dr. C is worth the hype, still havent purchased yet!

3.62 PharmCAS GPA (58 credits)
Not taken PCAT yet. Taking September 26
1 year 9 months retail customer service experience
1 semester biology lab tutor experience
54 hours college blogging experience
24 hours rehab volunteer experience
6 scholarships and awards
Independent photographer with a personal website and portfolio

Downside
Submitted my WRONG DRAFT to PharmCAS, and PharmCAS doesn't replace it. I am request each college to replace it for me, and Howard has agreed to do that. Feels bad that I already left a negative first impression :(

Wow, 6 scholarships! I'm impressed. I have no idea how to even start looking for scholarships. & I love photography, but I'm a novice with a basic digital camera forever making photo books on Shutterfly, kind of photographer. As for your personal statement, I'm so very sorry, but you are not the first to do that. You will however, need to do well on the written essay during the interview. It's how you will redeem yourself.

Are you applying to other schools? And BTW those are great stats and extracurriculars. You should have no problem!!

BTW what are you shooting with, I'm a budding photographer myself!!!

does anyone know if i can submit my pharmcas app without the pcat score?

Yungnaira and Florange - Thank you :). You both have great stats too. Since I live in Maryland, I am applying to UMB, Notre Dame of Maryland as well. Initially I though I should apply at 10 schools lol...but I think I will make decisions of 2-3 other schools after my PCAT score. If I get in 90's I will shoot for top school, and if I get in 40's, I will shoot for a bottom school :p

I got my PharmCAS GPA today.
Overall: 3.62 for 58 credits
Science: 3.33 for 24 credits :eek:
Non-science: 3.77 for 26 credits
Math: 4.00 for 8 credits :smuggrin:

Yungnaira - I am shooting with Nikon D7000, with 4 lenses. And yes, you can submit your PharmCAS app without PCAT score. They will review it right away, and wait for your PCAT score to invite you for an interview.

So when you enter your classes in PharmCAS they will calculate your GPA. How does that work?:shrug:
I'm pretty sure then my science GPA is ****. :bang:
And do you have to list ALL the classes you took, even tho it might be a COMPLETELY unrelated course I took just because ... and received a F. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
You enter your classes, fill out the application, pick your schools, and e-submit your application. It takes them up to 5 weeks to calculate GPA, and then another 1-2 weeks to mail your application to the school.

However, they calculated mine in just 2 weeks.

You have to list all the classes you took at all the colleges regardless of repeat, failed, withdrawn, forgiveness, etc. They calculate everything into your GPA. I had one repeated course, which they counted twice. My college GPA is 3.74, but now PharmCAS GPA decreased it to 3.62.

Colleges, however, have different criteria. Some only look at the pre-reqs GPA, while some look at the PharmCAS Gpa. PharmCAS gives them Cumulative, Science, Non-science, and Math GPA of all the classes you have taken regardless of whether it's a pre-req or not.

Hope that helped..And submit your app ASAP !

Still havent submitted my app. Waiting for my transcripts from howard UG

Also I heard they received a $100mil grant and appointed a new Dean of COP

Big things for Howard!!

Still havent submitted my app. Waiting for my transcripts from howard UG

I believe you can submit ur app wo having received the transcripts; they'll simply wait for ur transcript to come in before sending out ur app.

Sent from a different Galaxy using Tapatalk 2.

Submitted the PharmCAS application, they havent received my transcripts yet. IDK whats taking so long.

Question for those who graduated from Howard COP or work as a Pharmacist in the DC.

What is the job outlook for the recent grads in the DMV area?

Any government opportunities?

Clinical or community?

Belmont is my first choice and Howard and Chicago State are tied for second.
My stats are:
Cum GPA 3.43 science and math GPA 4.0
PCAT scheduled Sept 18th
14 years CPhT
Is it true Howard prefers candidates with bachlors? I only have an AA
I think you have an advantage since you are already a student at Howard.

If you take the PCAT, please share us about the test . which portion is the most difficult? and which portion should people to concern?
Thanks

You enter your classes, fill out the application, pick your schools, and e-submit your application. It takes them up to 5 weeks to calculate GPA, and then another 1-2 weeks to mail your application to the school.

However, they calculated mine in just 2 weeks.

You have to list all the classes you took at all the colleges regardless of repeat, failed, withdrawn, forgiveness, etc. They calculate everything into your GPA. I had one repeated course, which they counted twice. My college GPA is 3.74, but now PharmCAS GPA decreased it to 3.62.

Colleges, however, have different criteria. Some only look at the pre-reqs GPA, while some look at the PharmCAS Gpa. PharmCAS gives them Cumulative, Science, Non-science, and Math GPA of all the classes you have taken regardless of whether it's a pre-req or not.

Hope that helped..And submit your app ASAP !

Owly, Share us your PCAT test if you made this test .

If you take the PCAT, please share us about the test . which portion is the most difficult? and which portion should people to concern?
Thanks

I took the PCAT in July. For me the reading comprehension was the most difficult. I used Dr. Collin material, Kaplan book, and 3 Pearson tests to study for it. I highly recommend these 3 soources.

Im using Dr. Collins as well. And HONESTLY either the material they provide is WAY TOO EASY or they significantly dumb it down for you. Is the actual PCAT an accurate representation of what Dr. Collins provides in his study packets.

Thanks

Collins was right on, EXCEPT for Biology and Analogies. My worst score was Math, but they may be more my fault than Collins as I do not have a strong math foundation.

you mind sharing your breakdown of the scores :)

you mind sharing your breakdown of the scores :)

Verbal 58 :confused:
Biology 67
Reading 91
QA :(
Chemistry 91
Composite 78

I have mixed feelings about my score. On one hand it's above average on the other hand I spent $384 for a 78. I do however, take ownership for my math score. I never mastered the subject, I only survived it with a B.

Verbal 58 :confused:
Biology 67
Reading 91
QA :(
Chemistry 91
Composite 78

I have mixed feelings about my score. On one hand it's above average on the other hand I spent $384 for a 78. I do however, take ownership for my math score. I never mastered the subject, I only survived it with a B.

Congratulation! i think you will have 1 seat in Howard Pharmacy. Your score is great.

I'm sure having a BS helps in terms of seeing things that would be on the PCAT but Howard just requires you to fulfill its pre-reqs which you could have easily done while obtaining your AA.

I'm also not sure about having an advantage but I do know it helps you become familiar with Admissions fiasco you will be sure to experience if you decide to apply. :)

I was thinking of applying to Howard if I don't get into Maryland...what do you mean the "fiasco" that ensues? This isn't the first time I've heard disparaging remarks regarding the administration at Howard...

Hey guys, just took the PCAT and I laid a fatty on the QA section

VA 421 78
Bio 436 91
RC 418 76
QA 393 33
Chem 438 92
comp 421 79

IDK if that math score is gonna kill me, IDK how i didnt finish that section but whatever. Anything above 65 is pretty much a guaranteed interview.

As far as the "fiasco" you really have to be on top of the paperwork and forms you send in. It is unlike any school you've ever been to. Trust me I came here in JAN from Cali and almost had to go back because my forms were never "received".

Some words of advice.

1. Make copies of everything, no matter how insignificant
2. Get a name of the person and department of person who gave you information
3. Make copies of everything

Follow those 3 tidbits and you will have a great time at Howard. If you dont, best of luck to you. LOL

I also applied at UMD-Balto.

Do you guys mind sharing some advice. I wanna apply to Howard but my Pcats is a 40 % and my GPA is a 3.95 (4.0 for math and science).......Howard has no minimum stated for Pcat so could I even have a chance at getting in with these stats or should I not bother?

Do you guys mind sharing some advice. I wanna apply to Howard but my Pcats is a 40 % and my GPA is a 3.95 (4.0 for math and science).......Howard has no minimum stated for Pcat so could I even have a chance at getting in with these stats or should I not bother?

I would retake the PCAT. A 40 is too low for most schools, so improving the score would give you more options. If taking it again is out of the question, also apply to Manchester or Sullivan. Both schools don't require the PCAT. Lastly, anything is possible. Make sure you have a good personal statement, strong LORs, experience, and faith. Good luck.

I would retake the PCAT. A 40 is too low for most schools, so improving the score would give you more options. If taking it again is out of the question, also apply to Manchester or Sullivan. Both schools don't require the PCAT. Lastly, anything is possible. Make sure you have a good personal statement, strong LORs, experience, and faith. Good luck.

I took it again recently and got lower scores :( so idk if I should take my chances in case I bomb a third time. I've interned at a pharmacy before and have a job as a pharm tech trainee right now. I've also tutored, volunteer at my local nursing home every summer since like middle school so I've amassed thousands of hours, I'm in about 4-5 school club and some are community service based so I do alot for organizations around the school and stuff. Most of my teachers love me and will write me great recommendations and prob the pharmacist I work with now will give me a good one and hopefully my personal statement is amazing. Idk if I should bother applying to Pcat schools or just stick with non Pcat schools (would I have a shot there?)

You're from Florida right? I was actually considering Florida A & M since they don't require Pcat, do you think I could get in with my stats eventhough I'm out of state and there is more limited space?

I took it again recently and got lower scores :( so idk if I should take my chances in case I bomb a third time. I've interned at a pharmacy before and have a job as a pharm tech trainee right now. I've also tutored, volunteer at my local nursing home every summer since like middle school so I've amassed thousands of hours, I'm in about 4-5 school club and some are community service based so I do alot for organizations around the school and stuff. Most of my teachers love me and will write me great recommendations and prob the pharmacist I work with now will give me a good one and hopefully my personal statement is amazing. Idk if I should bother applying to Pcat schools or just stick with non Pcat schools (would I have a shot there?)

Keep in mind, this is also my very first time applying, but always apply to your reach/ first choice school, because you never know. Also, be realistic and apply to a school where your stats are very competitive. If you have money left over (because this is a very expensive process) apply to schools that are in the middle. Since you have taken the PCAT twice, I would advise against taking it a 3rd time unless you also invested in Kaplens, Collins, or the Pearsons practice tests also. The rest of your application looks good so applying to your state school may give you an advantage if they don't have a PCAT minimum.
Whatever you do, keep swimming (I love Dori)

Keep in mind, this is also my very first time applying, but always apply to your reach/ first choice school, because you never know. Also, be realistic and apply to a school where your stats are very competitive. If you have money left over (because this is a very expensive process) apply to schools that are in the middle. Since you have taken the PCAT twice, I would advise against taking it a 3rd time unless you also invested in Kaplens, Collins, or the Pearsons practice tests also. The rest of your application looks good so applying to your state school may give you an advantage if they don't have a PCAT minimum.
Whatever you do, keep swimming (I love Dori)

I think that's my problem, I have no idea what schools would consider my application competitive since most take Pcats. Should I take my chances with non Pcat schools? Idk if my stats are good enough for that either.

Does anyone know when Howard starts sending out invites for interviews? I submitted my application over a month ago and I haven't really heard anything back. Just wondering if this is normal or a not so great sign.

@ lovergurl, you should invest and retake the PCAT in Oct/Nov. Like previously said a 40 comp isnt very competitive for schools that require the PCAT.

Your GPA is however and if you can increase it to above 50% you will increase your chances for an interview (at Howard or any other school for that matter) 10x.

@BobbyV, if you applied for early decision you should hear something very soon (this month, perhaps Nov). If not you will most likely hear back by DEC for interviews in Jan. Or sooner if your application was competitive.

Howard is one of the slowest when it comes to processing applications.

@ lovergurl, you should invest and retake the PCAT in Oct/Nov. Like previously said a 40 comp isnt very competitive for schools that require the PCAT.

Your GPA is however and if you can increase it to above 50% you will increase your chances for an interview (at Howard or any other school for that matter) 10x.

@BobbyV, if you applied for early decision you should hear something very soon (this month, perhaps Nov). If not you will most likely hear back by DEC for interviews in Jan. Or sooner if your application was competitive.

Howard is one of the slowest when it comes to processing applications.

Even if I get above 50, wouldn't that look bad if that's all I managed on my third try? Idk, I'm just trying to gauge how admissions would view that. I don't mind taking it over again......it's just that if I don't do well again, I'm scared it'll make everything even worse.

Tbh, the only people who can really answer ur question would be the board members. We can only speculate so far.
I say apply. U won't know unless u try. Some members have written about getting into schools with 40's. Idk about Howard.
Ur extra curricular activities seem great. Maybe u simply aren't good at taking tests; some people are like that. Perhaps they'll take that into account.
If u get an interview then there's a chance. Be yourself, be genuine, and maybe they'll look past the PCAT. Many schools writ about accepting "full package" applicants.
I didn't do too well on my PCAT either. I still applied and hope to get an interview before I retake the PCAT.
You can't hit a homerun if u don't swing the bat...
Good luck.

I just received an evaluation type letter in the mail yesterday which stated that I had completed all of the prerequisites and that they would be in the touch with me at a later time.

Got a call from Howard inviting me to interview. I had to decline. Good luck to the rest of you.

Just got a call this morning inviting me for an interview. :) Seems like there are two dates they're offering, both on Saturdays. October 27th or December 1st.

Congrats to everyone who got a call for an interview. I havent yet!!!!!!!

Eeeks

@bobbyV those are fantastic stats, goodluck to you

Hi all, I got a call for an interview yesterday. It is on the 1st of December; really excited! Has anyone interviewed already or have the same interview date?

Hi all, I got a call for an interview yesterday. It is on the 1st of December; really excited! Has anyone interviewed already or have the same interview date?

I interviewed already. It was a much better experience than I thought it would be. I pictured several people scrutinizing everything I said, hard and cold looks, and really having to basically sell myself.
It wasn't like that. So don't get too worked up about it. Make sure to get a good night sleep and get there early. Of course you'll want to have your answers ready for the generic questions.
I found that once I was more relaxed, the answering process came easier to me.
Good luck to all.

I interviewed already. It was a much better experience than I thought it would be. I pictured several people scrutinizing everything I said, hard and cold looks, and really having to basically sell myself.
It wasn't like that. So don't get too worked up about it. Make sure to get a good night sleep and get there early. Of course you'll want to have your answers ready for the generic questions.
I found that once I was more relaxed, the answering process came easier to me.
Good luck to all.

Thanks Dazo, for sharing that! Have you heard from the school after the interview?

Just e-submitted, how long does it take for them to get you supplemental? I hope i get an interview..

Hey, I submitted my application for Pharmcas about 10 days ago and I was wondering if the application has to be mailed to Howard by Dec 3rd for them to accept it or if it just needs to be submitted to Pharmcas by Dec 3rd? Bc I'm scared they might take a really long time to calculate my GPA and I don't want to miss the deadline.