Howard University College of Dentistry IDP 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey roodoc, dont get disheartened, I admit the application and going through this process requires a lot of money but when you get a seat it is all worth it! I didnt even believe when I got in at Howard. It doesn't matter the total number of seats, apply everywhere & where is your destiny, you will go there. Keep working hard!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for your help, Diamond Dental. This really helps.

Hey Diamond_Dental, did you have any certification, I mean like dental assistant any? apart from volunteer, and CE course. did you done volunteer in research , do I to take help of professional for sop? I appreciate if could help me by answering these question as I didn"t get iv from any school it will be great help . thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Diamond_Dental, congratulation on your acceptance! You've done a great job!:clap:
Could you please clarify on which teeth you have performed Class II and Class III preparations.
Did they ask you to design RPD?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Hey Diamond_Dental, did you have any certification, I mean like dental assistant any? apart from volunteer, and CE course. did you done volunteer in research , do I to take help of professional for sop? I appreciate if could help me by answering these question as I didn"t get iv from any school it will be great help . thanks in advance

Hey Savvy,
I didnt have any certification in dental assisting but I voluntarily assisted, helped in research & shadowed in dental office since last year. I did have Masters in Health Admin. I wrote my SOP myself, but you can take help from people you know. For me, I thought I knew myself better than anyone knew me, so I customized my SOP according to my personal experiences, interests & priorities. But the foremost requirement is the belief in yourself. This application procedure involves a lot of hardship & requires persistence from your end. I know not getting an iv sucks, but people have gotten into the school past years and will get in the future. You should not lose hope! Just keep working hard & your dreams will come true.

Hi Diamond_Dental, congratulation on your acceptance! You've done a great job!:clap:
Could you please clarify on which teeth you have performed Class II and Class III preparations.
Did they ask you to design RPD?
Thank you in advance.

Hey Dr Mary,
Thank you! As far as I remember, Class 2 was on #12, Class 3 on #9. We were not asked to design RPD practically, but there was a lengthy interview regarding RPD. Just read it in detail & remember what you did in your dental school. The questions can vary depending on the interviewer, but they will try to gauge your experience, knowledge and skill by your answers. Good Luck!

Well deserved Diamond Dental!!
I wanted to ask on what teeth number were the PFM and FGC asked?
Thank you in advance.

Well deserved Diamond Dental!!
I wanted to ask on what teeth number were the PFM and FGC asked?
Thank you in advance.
Thank you ZFZ, tooth #19 was full metal & tooth #21 was PFM.

Thank you everyone!
I had my iv on 19th Nov, the bench test was elaborate including endo access opening, cavity preps & crown preparation. There were 2 personal interviews. Total 6 candidates were interviewed & as far as I know 3 were selected. So there might be more ivs, but I have no idea regarding that.
For bench test we bring everything ourselves except the typodont. I must say that Howard is the University that I respect not just because I got accepted there; but I felt a very professional and ethical system prevailing there. They choose candidates on basis of credentials & test every aspect of the candidate.
All the best everyone & hope your dreams come true. I would strongly suggest you guys to have perseverance & belief in ones abilities!!
Congrats, could you pls tell me which teeth did you get for endo? Do we have to mount them in plaster? Any specifications? Can we use any burs like diamond or carbide for crown prep? I would greatly appreciate your help.

Congrats, could you pls tell me which teeth did you get for endo? Do we have to mount them in plaster? Any specifications? Can we use any burs like diamond or carbide for crown prep? I would greatly appreciate your help.
I used lower premolar & upper CI for Endo. Yes they have to be mounted on plaster black with wax at the root tip. You can use any bur, they have no restrictions! But for crown prep, diamonds are used mostly..

Hello everyone, i got accepted at Howard idp. I am here to help, please feel free to ask your queries.
I would also like to say just believe in your dreams & go for it!!
I want to join howard

Do you mind sharing your email or contact with me - [email protected]

any help would be appreciated. thank u in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
I used lower premolar & upper CI for Endo. Yes they have to be mounted on plaster black with wax at the root tip. You can use any bur, they have no restrictions! But for crown prep, diamonds are used mostly..
Thanks a lot for your reply, so that means we can use any two teeth. Please reply.

Thanks a lot for your reply, so that means we can use any two teeth. Please reply.

They ask you to bring three teeth, but for us we were allowed to choose any 2 teeth for the test! Good luck

Hey Savvy,
I didnt have any certification in dental assisting but I voluntarily assisted, helped in research & shadowed in dental office since last year. I did have Masters in Health Admin. I wrote my SOP myself, but you can take help from people you know. For me, I thought I knew myself better than anyone knew me, so I customized my SOP according to my personal experiences, interests & priorities. But the foremost requirement is the belief in yourself. This application procedure involves a lot of hardship & requires persistence from your end. I know not getting an iv sucks, but people have gotten into the school past years and will get in the future. You should not lose hope! Just keep working hard & your dreams will come true.
Hey Savvy,

congratulations for acceptance and interview calls.can you share which state you belong to? your help will be highly appreciated.(Diamond dental, savvy)

I have another silly question, Diamond Dental... Is the wax supposed to be embedded in the plaster or should the plaster end at the root tip?

I have another silly question, Diamond Dental... Is the wax supposed to be embedded in the plaster or should the plaster end at the root tip?
The wax is only at the root tip, but the plaster covers the whole root uptil the cervical margin..

congratulations for acceptance and interview calls.can you share which state you belong to? your help will be highly appreciated.(Diamond dental, savvy)
Hey Springcherry, thank you! I am from the east coast..

Hello everyone Merry Christmas!!
Hey ZFZ, Thank you for all your good wishes! Regarding the answers to your queries, the typodont was provided by the University, it was columbia. It was mounted, not table top. The exercises asked were 2 access opening on extracted teeth, 1 class 2 prep, 1 class 3 prep on max CI, 1 PFM on lower Pm and 1 Cast metal prep on lower molar. The time allotted was around 3 hours.

Hi Diamond_Dental,

Could you please tell us more about the class II prep. Was it MO or DO?

Thank you.

Hey roodoc, dont get disheartened, I admit the application and going through this process requires a lot of money but when you get a seat it is all worth it! I didnt even believe when I got in at Howard. It doesn't matter the total number of seats, apply everywhere & where is your destiny, you will go there. Keep working hard!

could you please share your contact details? I am a local resident in MD since 2007 and graduated in in 2001 ( yes been a while)switched carreer to IT and am very successful. But my heart is to do dentistry. want to join Howard since it is local to me.

feel free to contact me 2403388727 / email [email protected]

I would really appreciate your reply

I want to meet the admissions committee in person. I havent got a reply for several voice messages I got.

I want to know tuition details, volunteering opportunities etc.

Also, does Howard need Bench exams besides part1,part2? I passed a score based part 1 in 2012.

thanks in advance Diamond_dental !

could you please share your contact details? I am a local resident in MD since 2007 and graduated in in 2001 ( yes been a while)switched carreer to IT and am very successful. But my heart is to do dentistry. want to join Howard since it is local to me.

feel free to contact me 2403388727 / email [email protected]

I would really appreciate your reply
Hey I don't think it will be a problem for you. Just try to fulfill their requirements and pursue your dream!

I want to meet the admissions committee in person. I havent got a reply for several voice messages I got.

I want to know tuition details, volunteering opportunities etc.

Also, does Howard need Bench exams besides part1,part2? I passed a score based part 1 in 2012.

thanks in advance Diamond_dental !
I didn't volunteer at howard, so have no idea for that. Even haven't received the fee structure yet. They do require you to clear the bench test for admission.

Hey Diamond, it says wear professional, comfortable clothing.. Does that mean business suit, a trouser and short ... I mean what did u n others wear in nov.. Is it ok to change into scrubs for the bench test?
Also I am getting a paper print of x rays of the teeth.. Do u know if that is acceptable?

Thanks in advance!!

Hey Diamond, it says wear professional, comfortable clothing.. Does that mean business suit, a trouser and short ... I mean what did u n others wear in nov.. Is it ok to change into scrubs for the bench test?
Also I am getting a paper print of x rays of the teeth.. Do u know if that is acceptable?

Thanks in advance!!
Hey you can wear suit with pants or skirt whichever is comfy for you. You can remove your jacket and work for bench test. Some people were putting scrub shirt over their suit shirt so that it doesn't get messed up. Just remember you have to be comfy and relaxed whichever way it might me.
They do accept the paper xray prints.
Good luck!

Good luck to people who are gonna get interviewed at Howard!!
Believe in yourself & go for it..

Hi Diamond_Dental... Where did u do ce courses.. If online plzz share the link and need advice for what courses?

Hey Diamond_Dental! Will it be possible for you to share what all has to be done specifically for the endo exercises in detail ? Looking forward to hear from you !