Howard University Hospital cuts nurse anesthetists, reorganizes nursing staff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are plenty of large hospitals in California that, while perhaps not larger than an arbitrary 1000 beds, are full service facilities taking care of complex patients, and without a CRNA in sight. (No anesthesia residents either.) And that includes Level 1 trauma centers.
Perhaps you believe that anything short of a university hospital is some second rate glorified ambulatory surgery center full of hacks, but you will find out that it is not. It's often the opposite.
Are they doing transplants there or have billion dollar proton therapy units? No, but you don't need that to be a great hospital and care for challenging patients.
I wish I could do all my complex cases by myself.

Would only add that in my neck of the woods, we do heart and liver transplants with MD only anesthesia. Level 1 trauma too. No residents or CRNAs in sight. While not >1000 beds, the largest hospitals in our region are all MD only. Just saying it is done.

And yes, it is easier to do it yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
There are plenty of large hospitals in California that, while perhaps not larger than an arbitrary 1000 beds, are full service facilities taking care of complex patients, and without a CRNA in sight. (No anesthesia residents either.) And that includes Level 1 trauma centers.
Perhaps you believe that anything short of a university hospital is some second rate glorified ambulatory surgery center full of hacks, but you will find out that it is not. It's often the opposite.
Are they doing transplants there or have billion dollar proton therapy units? No, but you don't need that to be a great hospital and care for challenging patients.
I wish I could do all my complex cases by myself.

I am well aware that there are MD only groups at medium sized hospitals taking care of sick patients. I've never said otherwise.