Howard University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptstudent85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applied to Howard University in DC?? They recently got Accreditation for DPT this february.

Members don't see this ad.

PTCAS says 100% of their students are instate residents. is this true of Howard University?

thats because its in D.C. they just classify everyone as instate- they are private

Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful - not to long ago the pass rate on the NPTE for Howard's graduates was not very good. You may want to look into that before you apply.

Anyone get accepted into HU, or attend HU in the past? how is it?

Be careful - not to long ago the pass rate on the NPTE for Howard's graduates was not very good. You may want to look into that before you apply.

Also, you may want to visit the school in person before applying. The area around the school is not the safest. (understatement!)

Also, you may want to visit the school in person before applying. The area around the school is not the safest. (understatement!)

Of course, but some people can't control what schools they get accepted to :(

I got accepted into Howard Universitys PT program and I will be attending in the Fall of 2010. Coming up from Miami....anybody heard anything about the program?? With us graduating in 2012, does that mean there will be more credits per semester??

What was your guys stats, if you don't mind, for those who got accepted into Howard's DPT program?

do you mind sharing your stats?? Is anyone currently on the waiting list or have any success stories to share??

I got accepted into Howard Universitys PT program and I will be attending in the Fall of 2010. Coming up from Miami....anybody heard anything about the program?? With us graduating in 2012, does that mean there will be more credits per semester??

I graduated from HU many moons ago when it was a MPT program. What people are posting holds very true. Howard has a very low pass rate when it comes to taking the NPTE. I still have not passed. While the blame is not on Howard alone. They did very little at the time to prepare us for the boards and did not help when you failed. While there are many successful PT's that hold degrees from HU, there were over 30% of my graduating class that struggled with passing the boards. When you fail the NPTE more than 3 times (depending on the state), you will be in a hole that you can't get out of trust me. A very expensive hole! Having said that if I were you I would weigh my options, and ask about the pass rate for the NPTE for any school BEFORE choosing a program.

How many "moons ago" did you graduate? I went on npte's website and their passage rate (on average) for the years 2006-2009 were 89%. It definitely isn't as competitive as some of the other programs but it's not as terrible as I imagined after reading your post. So what constructive advice can you give to the students on this post who had no other options or who chose Howard as their first choice? Your input was very insightful and did put things in a different light than most may be looking at it!

I graduated from HU many moons ago when it was a MPT program. What people are posting holds very true. Howard has a very low pass rate when it comes to taking the NPTE. I still have not passed. While the blame is not on Howard alone. They did very little at the time to prepare us for the boards and did not help when you failed. While there are many successful PT's that hold degrees from HU, there were over 30% of my graduating class that struggled with passing the boards. When you fail the NPTE more than 3 times (depending on the state), you will be in a hole that you can't get out of trust me. A very expensive hole! Having said that if I were you I would weigh my options, and ask about the pass rate for the NPTE for any school BEFORE choosing a program.

Pass rates can be deceiving. Lets say the 1st year class is 30 students. Out of the 30, only 15 actually graduate. Out of the 15, 15 pass the exam, voila 100% pass rate. When looking at any school, ask admissions how many that enrolled actually graduated. If the dropout rate is high then find out why.

If you haven't passed the licensing exam have you tried using O'sullivan's book? I found that by reading it through multiple times and by highlighting what I did not know and then rereading that until I knew almost everything really helped. While taking the test I realized that people who didn't have the timing down well could do poorly. Maybe if you practice how many you should have done in a certain amount of time it could help you decide whether you have to move faster during the testing. It's just really upsetting to know that there are people that go through what I did (3 yrs of school and major loans) and can't practice.

How many "moons ago" did you graduate? I went on npte's website and their passage rate (on average) for the years 2006-2009 were 89%. It definitely isn't as competitive as some of the other programs but it's not as terrible as I imagined after reading your post. So what constructive advice can you give to the students on this post who had no other options or who chose Howard as their first choice? Your input was very insightful and did put things in a different light than most may be looking at it!

Don't get me wrong, Howard can be and may be a wonderful experience for you. it really depends on your abilities as a student, to put up with disorganization. I graduated in the 1990's so a lot can change. My advice to those that want to attend Howard, is to utilize ALL of your resources. When I went to Howard there were very limited resources, our only practice outside of clinical affiliations was on healthy students. And many of our modalities did not work (e-stim, traction, us etc). The MPT program was new, and they did not really know what to do with us. Just take that into consideration. Especially considering that Howard may be a new DPT program. By the way, the pass rate makes a BIG difference because it reflects the BASIC skills a PT needs in order to practice.