How's the ortho job market now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jonassen

Too pale
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard it is to find jobs in ortho after residency/fellowship? The metro areas seem to me quite saturated and competition is fierce with many people who work in these places having top tier fellowships even in private practice (HSS etc). Are many people resorting to jobs in BFE?

Members don't see this ad.

How hard it is to find jobs in ortho after residency/fellowship? The metro areas seem to me quite saturated and competition is fierce with many people who work in these places having top tier fellowships even in private practice (HSS etc). Are many people resorting to jobs in BFE?

Just fyi, there are bottom-tier fellowships at HSS that don't even fill each year. But you're far too early in the process to be worrying about these things.

As with all fields in medicine, metro = more docs to compete with. But there is plenty ortho to go around.

I'm already a resident. It's just hard to gauge the market. Most chief residents leave for fellowships, so we don't get to see the job search process as junior residents. Most of the job listings are in BFE or in safety net hospitals. I suppose good jobs are rarely listed (or if listed, not up for long).

There's a demand for ortho for sure, but my feeling is many are in critical access hospitals in towns < 50k people or in the South. The benefits are fantastic and most have loan repayment plans as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm already a resident. It's just hard to gauge the market. Most chief residents leave for fellowships, so we don't get to see the job search process as junior residents. Most of the job listings are in BFE or in safety net hospitals. I suppose good jobs are rarely listed (or if listed, not up for long).

There's a demand for ortho for sure, but my feeling is many are in critical access hospitals in towns < 50k people or in the South. The benefits are fantastic and most have loan repayment plans as well.

Ahh, sorry for assuming premed. There is so much premed spam on this board in particular...

It seemed to me on rotations (n=4 programs) that a lot of people had jobs lined up or were interviewing for jobs by chief year... heard F&A is a great market right now, hand/shoulder&elbow/sports are tougher markets but still easy to find a job if you don't need to be in a major city or coast. I'm sure you've heard all these types of rumors before too.

I wish orthogate was as good as it used to be, used to be great for these types of discussions. Now its just a cesspool of neurotic med students.

Yeah that's why I posted this thread here. Orthogate aside from residency interviews is a black hole.

F&A is good. And everyone says sports is tight, but then most of my chief class are going to sports. So it's hard to figure out.

It's funny how a nation of medical students are all gunning for specialties that they are stuck with for a lifetime based on so little information, often only what they see in the academic world, salary surveys and second hand rumors.

Know past residents who have taken / given the following jobs:

1. $500k (hospital employeed - no fellowship) - 20-30 minutes from a 500k metro area (midwest)
2. $600k (hopsital - fellowship) - ~1 million pop area (midwest)
3. $250k (pp - fellowship) - major metro area (midwest)
4. $350k (pp - fellowship) - hour away from major metro area (southwest)
5. $550k (pp - no fellowship) - 500k metro area (mid-america)
6. $450k (pp - fellowship) -<500k metro area (midwest-ish)

Know past residents who have taken / given the following jobs:

1. $500k (hospital employeed - no fellowship) - 20-30 minutes from a 500k metro area (midwest)
2. $600k (hopsital - fellowship) - ~1 million pop area (midwest)
3. $250k (pp - fellowship) - major metro area (midwest)
4. $350k (pp - fellowship) - hour away from major metro area (southwest)
5. $550k (pp - no fellowship) - 500k metro area (mid-america)
6. $450k (pp - fellowship) -<500k metro area (midwest-ish)

These are salaries offered as first year attendings? I was under the impression that salaries were lower your first couple years as an attending and then go up from there. Is this inaccurate?

These are salaries offered as first year attendings? I was under the impression that salaries were lower your first couple years as an attending and then go up from there. Is this inaccurate?

Those are year 1 offers after fellowship / residency. Some are a 3-4 years contract offers, others 1-2 years - then usually a re-negotiated deal with production based usually with low base salary for hospitals while PP are usually production after the contract period.

Reactions: 1 user