HPSP 1099-Misc 2013 Tax Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dnizzler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am an army HPSP medical student. My question is regarding a 1099-Misc for tax year 2013 issued from DFAS. I never was mailed one and filled my 2013 taxes with just my W-2 like I always have been doing while on HPSP. I just received a letter from the IRS stating that they have a reported income from DFAS on a 1099-Misc for 2013 that I didn't report on my 1040 and that I owe taxes on that 1099 income now. Was this a big mistake that they issued us all 1099-misc in 2013?? Do we really owe taxes on that? I presume it is for education expenses reimbursement items. I haven't gotten any previous 1099-misc forms any of the previous years on my scholarship. What should I do about this and who should I contact? I see that people have posted about this last year when they were first issued, does anyone know what ever came about with this issue?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't recall getting a 1099-MISC, but that was years ago and things have changed since then. I would absolutely call DFAS to ask about it. Be prepared to sit on hold for 40 minutes. Do you know if you have access to MYPAY?

I don't know enough about HPSP to answer all your questions, but I don't think DFAS has been mailing out tax forms for years now. I think it's just expected that you access and print them via MyPay. Did they mail your W2?

Members don't see this ad :)
I only have access to my W-2 on my pay website. From what I am gathering it looks like it was issued in error to some HPSP students for 2013 tax year. I believe the 1099-misc must have been sent to an old address. I got my W-2 electronically.

Hey Dnizzler I made a post on your profile. Please respond at your earliest convenience.

In case anyone is in a similar situation. I have been able to get this resolved. It was issued in error to HSPS students for tax year 2013. After many, many phone calls and emails they finally sent me a letter of explanation and a corrected 1099-MISC. To obtain or to inquire about your 1099 contact DFAS at email [email protected] or Fax them at 614-701-2511. When contacting them provide your contact info such as your phone number and fax number and your name. Easiest way is to just email them and tell them what is going on. They will eventually email you back and should get it corrected for you.