HPSP Acceptance Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjdd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying for the Navy and Air Force HPSP. I am wondering if anyone has any information about the acceptance process when that time comes. Do you have to accept the scholarship right away? Is there any type of grace period that you can take to make a final decision? Does the binding contract take effect before you start dental school or does it not completely take effect until you begin dental school? I know that for the Navy you do not receive the $20,000 bonus until you begin the semester. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know for Air Force I had something like 48 hours to accept the scholarship after I had been accepted. I do not know if it is different for the Navy or for the 4 year scholarship, as I received the 3 year last year. I was under the impression that you are not necessarily bound until you take your oath, but I may be mistaken.

Members don't see this ad :)
After getting accepted is the MEPS physical. Then there is a bunch more paperwork and some waiting. I had my physical at the end of December and didn't take my oath until the first week of March. At least that is for the 3 year scholarship.

Generally speaking you are not obligated until you are commissioned. If you accepted money it will have to be paid back in full. I've known at least 3 people who took the oath and later decided not to stay in the program however they were ground officers.