Navy HPSP Active Duty Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pawprint

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding Active Duty while on HPSP. I just finished my first year of med school and was originally planning on going to officer training this summer, however all the ODS spots were filled and I was never pulled from the waitlist. I have made other plans and intend to just apply for "at school orders". However, the free clinic I am working for this summer wants me to go on a volunteer trip about 700 miles from my school for 1 week. I know while on Active Duty I am not allowed to leave more than 300 miles from my school.

Do I have to take my active duty time starting June 16? (thats when officer training was supposed to start and I was told if I don't go to officer training I can just start my AD time then). Or can I wait until after I go on my volunteer trip to start it? Im not going on this trip until the 3rd week in July.

Also, if I don't start my Active Duty time until the third week in July, will I still receive stipend payment in June/July, or will I not receive any money since my contract says I get 10.5 months of stipend pay and 1.5 months of active duty pay?

Thanks for any input, I plan on emailing OH next week but wanted to see if someone know any answers before hand.

Members don't see this ad.

Contact the HPSP Office and ask. The Army makes allowances for students in your position on case-byc-case basis frequently.