HPSP and fail out of med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reg15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although, I don't forsee this happening, what happens if you fail out of medical school while on an HPSP scholarship?? I assume you still owe 3 years of active duty service, as what, though??

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about it too hard. Contrary to popular thought it is extremely difficult to *fail* out of medical school. My experience (not personally... I had l33t med school skillz) is that it reflects poorly upon your school if you can't hack it there. After all they thought you were intelligent enough to get in, they weren't good enough educators. So they don't want people to fail out. They will work with you.

As for the military question... I believe that there will have to be some form of recompense for the military.

reg15 said:
Although, I don't forsee this happening, what happens if you fail out of medical school while on an HPSP scholarship?? I assume you still owe 3 years of active duty service, as what, though??

The way I've heard it is this- they have the OPTION of taking you for your service time at your skill level. I understand that most are just required to pay back their scholarship, including stipends :scared: . Granted, I could be wrong. Getting here was the hard part. work hard and failure won't be an option! steve

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, i agree with you both. i was asked the question and didn't have a good answer, so this was helpful.

Actually if you have to retake a year, you go on Leave of Absence (replete with the customary paperwork), do your year sans benifits, and then resume your med school course with HPSP back on board (AFTER, of course, doing the required paperwork). It's no biggie - now actually failing out of med school - THAT'S tough...

serve as MSC officer = no real medicine