HPSP and specialization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bimmer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

So i've done a decent amount of research on the HPSP scholarship, but I couldnt really find a clear cut answer for specializing. So I was wondering if I could get some clarification on if you can specialization or how that track looks in combination with the HPSP scholarship.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Curious about this as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my limited knowledge, someone correct me if I'm wrong, if you specialize through the military those years are added towards your payback. If you decide to specialize outside of the military, it will not be paid for through the military unless you get the single FAP (I'm guessing this stands for Financial Assistance Program or something of the sort) scholarship, and then again those years would be added to your payback. I know about this program because my recruiter told me about it as he has assisted the last 2 years recipients. I'm not sure how it works (payback-wise) if you specialize outside of the military without their assistance.

From my limited knowledge, someone correct me if I'm wrong, if you specialize through the military those years are added towards your payback. If you decide to specialize outside of the military, it will not be paid for through the military unless you get the single FAP (I'm guessing this stands for Financial Assistance Program or something of the sort) scholarship, and then again those years would be added to your payback. I know about this program because my recruiter told me about it as he has assisted the last 2 years recipients. I'm not sure how it works (payback-wise) if you specialize outside of the military without their assistance.

Yeah i'm wondering how the timeline works if you want to specialize outside of the military after dental school.

Hey All,

So i've done a decent amount of research on the HPSP scholarship, but I couldnt really find a clear cut answer for specializing. So I was wondering if I could get some clarification on if you can specialization or how that track looks in combination with the HPSP scholarship.

Thanks in advance.

Say you have a 4 year scholarship, and you get a 3 year prosth. residency out of school..

Scenario 1: You complete OBLC after you graduate dental school....so you'd have: year 1-active duty general dentist at the base you're likely to do a prosth residency; year 2-begins your prosth residency; year 3-resident; year 4-resident; year 5-active duty prosth; year 6-active duty prosth; year 7-active duty prosth---done with your hpsp payback.

Scenario 2: Now, if you've completed your OBLC training before dental school, you can start your residency right after your graduate. The reason why you start a year later (as stated in the first scenario), is because that assumes that you haven't done OBLC training before school starts. OBLC coincides with the start time of non AEGD 1 residencies, which is why you would have to be a general dentist for that year.

This is what I was told by a few military dentists, by the way.