HPSP-MEPS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snook1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read online that you swear in at the end of MEPS. I want to make sure I get the HPSP scholarship before actually joining the Army, so do I not swear in? I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but I didn't want to ask my recruiter. I keep thinking I am going to accidentally sign something and be stuck in even if i don't get the scholarship haha. Mainly from horror stories I've read of people getting lied to by recruiters.

Members don't see this ad.

I posted this in the wrong area, meant for it to be for dental HPSP. Sorry, but the question is still the same regardless.

The whole hpsp process takes forever. Your meps and contract signing will not be on the same day, as you are not an enlisted guy. You will have a bunch of other meetings and finally do a swearing in ceremony most likely months after you meps, definitely after your confirmed boarded for hpsp

Members don't see this ad :)
The whole hpsp process takes forever. Your meps and contract signing will not be on the same day, as you are not an enlisted guy. You will have a bunch of other meetings and finally do a swearing in ceremony most likely months after you meps, definitely after your confirmed boarded for hpsp

Also, enjoy your duck walk

I read online that you swear in at the end of MEPS. I want to make sure I get the HPSP scholarship before actually joining the Army, so do I not swear in? I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but I didn't want to ask my recruiter. I keep thinking I am going to accidentally sign something and be stuck in even if i don't get the scholarship haha. Mainly from horror stories I've read of people getting lied to by recruiters.

Make sure you are working with a physician recruiter, not a normal enlisted recruiter. If your recruiter offers you a contract to sign at MEPS do not sign it: that's a contract to enlist in the military, not to be a military doctor.

Make sure you are working with a physician recruiter, not a normal enlisted recruiter. If your recruiter offers you a contract to sign at MEPS do not sign it: that's a contract to enlist in the military, not to be a military doctor.

That would suck

Reactions: 1 user
Probably best to read the contract before you sign it, no matter what the case may be. I found it hilarious how many enlisted members failed to read what they were signing themselves up for back in '05. I had them try to screw me with a contract at MEPS as well. The whole process is disingenuous, and should be scrapped and rebooted.

USMC - U Signed the Motherf***ing Contract

Semper Fi.

Reactions: 1 user
MEPS sucked. Didn't swear in, but just a ton of waiting around. I was very surprised at how hard it was for people to follow simple direction.

So after meps i met with my recruiter (it's an AMEDD recruiter), and ended up signing for a $20,000 sign on bonus for when i do finish up. the recruiter said I wouldn't owe more time since ill be doing 4 years. I am pretty worried about what I signed for that one since it seemed too easy to just get the sign on bonus, or i could have just denied it. I asked the recruiter like 3 times if it meant I'd owe more time, and the recruiter kept saying no so I signed it.

MEPS sucked. Didn't swear in, but just a ton of waiting around. I was very surprised at how hard it was for people to follow simple direction.

So after meps i met with my recruiter (it's an AMEDD recruiter), and ended up signing for a $20,000 sign on bonus for when i do finish up. the recruiter said I wouldn't owe more time since ill be doing 4 years. I am pretty worried about what I signed for that one since it seemed too easy to just get the sign on bonus, or i could have just denied it. I asked the recruiter like 3 times if it meant I'd owe more time, and the recruiter kept saying no so I signed it.

It doesn't matter what the recruiter told you, it just matters what the document you signed said. Once you get money, you're on the hook.

The 20K bonus incurs an automatic four years of obligation, so, if you are geting a four year scholarship, and sign up for the accession bonus - it' just that - a bonus. If you are looking at HPSP for anything less than four years of scholarship, it will tack on more time. The other downside is that if you start medical school and do not finish for whatever reason, you will still owe the four years and can be called to active duty as something other than a medical corps officer.

The 20K bonus incurs an automatic four years of obligation, so, if you are geting a four year scholarship, and sign up for the accession bonus - it' just that - a bonus. If you are looking at HPSP for anything less than four years of scholarship, it will tack on more time. The other downside is that if you start medical school and do not finish for whatever reason, you will still owe the four years and can be called to active duty as something other than a medical corps officer.

Thanks for clearing this up! Im actually dental not medical (i messed up and posted this in the wrong section).

I'm new and don't know if I'm supposed to post a new question on it's own thread, but I just heard back from my recruiter that the MEPS people gave me a PDQ and that that means that my file will be decided by the surgeon general (of the AF). I had elective foot surgery 3 years ago that they asked me a million questions about, and I have slightly high blood pressure. I've since run a marathon on said foot and am sure that's not the (whole) problem. I'm 25, in good shape, but unfortunately have been blessed with genetically high blood pressure (that has very likely been exacerbated by 3 years of applying to medical school before finally getting in). My BP was definitely high at the MEPS and was still high after they gave me ten minutes to relax and think about my blood pressure being high before they tested it again. So my question is,

How often does the SG give waivers, and do we think he'll give one to me? I'll find out in a few months, but I'm just asking for some opinions.
Also, should I, in the meantime, apply to the navy and/or army. I've read that their standards are a little less exacting on the MEPS front. From what I understand, the PDQ stands for all branches, but the different SG's can decide differently when it comes to waivers.
Thanks for the help.

I'm new and don't know if I'm supposed to post a new question on it's own thread, but I just heard back from my recruiter that the MEPS people gave me a PDQ and that that means that my file will be decided by the surgeon general (of the AF). I had elective foot surgery 3 years ago that they asked me a million questions about, and I have slightly high blood pressure. I've since run a marathon on said foot and am sure that's not the (whole) problem. I'm 25, in good shape, but unfortunately have been blessed with genetically high blood pressure (that has very likely been exacerbated by 3 years of applying to medical school before finally getting in). My BP was definitely high at the MEPS and was still high after they gave me ten minutes to relax and think about my blood pressure being high before they tested it again. So my question is,

How often does the SG give waivers, and do we think he'll give one to me? I'll find out in a few months, but I'm just asking for some opinions.
Also, should I, in the meantime, apply to the navy and/or army. I've read that their standards are a little less exacting on the MEPS front. From what I understand, the PDQ stands for all branches, but the different SG's can decide differently when it comes to waivers.
Thanks for the help.

I'm AF HPSP and was also given a PDQ at MEPS. My recruiter knew it was going to happen since I had elective back surgery in college. My recruiter did all of the paperwork for the appeal process and I was subsequently granted a waiver by the SG. I don't know the stats on how many waivers they grant but my point is that a PDQ doesn't mean you're out.

My recruiter actually told me that the AF grants fewer waivers than the Navy and Army but hey, he also told me that the AF match rate is 97% and you only do a flight surgery tour if you choose to.

Good luck!

Getting a waiver for the medical side is quite easy. You may have to go through a secondary evaluation, but the Air Force needs warm bodies to fill slots. And hey, you're a warm body

So update, turns out my pdq wasn't for the BP or the elective surgery. I ran track in high school and I had some phlegm and the pediatrician I went to suggested that I try an inhaler. I tried for a month or so, it didn't change anything, so I stopped. The MEPS people have decided that that means I have asthma. I got an official medical DQ letter from the dept of defense saying I'd been dq'd for asthma. I've never had asthma or even come close to something that resembles an asthma attack. My recruiter seems to be putting me off somewhat by saying that it'll take a few months and that he still is getting info from MEPS. I contacted the pediatrician who gave me the inhaler and while she said she couldn't outright say that I had no asthmatic symptoms/asthma (which is pretty annoying), she is willing to write a letter outlining her plan and that I wasn't seen for recurring symptoms. She also suggested that I get a pulmonary function test.

What are the chances that I get a waiver from the AF surgeon general for this?
Should I get a workup with a pulmonologist?
Also I really want the hpsp scholarship/signing bonus, and I realize that the pdq is for all branches but should I start applying for a waiver for the other branches in the interim just to see?
Sorry for the novel. Thanks for any insight.

Last edited: