HPSP Navy medical scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats jp!
It's good to know they're still actively sending acceptances. It's been 2 weeks since I heard I'd get mine 'any day now.'

I'm glad for these forums! Like others have said, it has to be an individual choice only you can make. I had a major moment of doubt a few months ago but ultimately decided that I really want the Navy HPSP! It's good to be reminded, though, that unexpected downsides will always occur along this path (as with any path).

Members don't see this ad.

Dual citizenship shouldn't be a problem for HPSP acceptance or getting commissioned as an officer. It may be an issue and cause some delays in obtaining a security clearance.
mr. usarmyhpsp makes it sound like if you have dual citizenship its the end of the word. I had dual citizenship when i applied for the the scholarship and during the process of filling out the endless paperwork i signed a little line that said something to the effect of "i relinquish all other citizenships" and that was the end of the story. no problems with getting security clearance and i never heard about it again.

Dual citizenship shouldn't be a problem for HPSP acceptance or getting commissioned as an officer. It may be an issue and cause some delays in obtaining a security clearance.

Dual citizenship actually is a problem. You have to renounce the other prior to being commissioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, as NavyFP said, I was just instructed to renounce my other citizenship before my first day of classes, which is when they want to commission me. The day is getting pretty close, hopefully no more paperwork snags here :xf:

Last edited:
So... there may be no easy way for me to renounce my other citizenship, in a way that the other country would officially recognize. Long story short, they are asking for Apostille-authenticated paperwork and an application for renunciation submitted in person with a huge processing fee. I live far away from my birth state and my nearest embassy, and don't have the time or money to fly myself to these places and pay the fees. My recruiter says he's never heard of these sorts of requirements before...

Anyone heard of/experienced cases like this before, that could comment? Could the Navy accept my foreign citizenship renunciation even if the foreign country does not accept it? My recruiter seems a bit baffled too.

The Facts:

I am currently an active duty corpsman.

I have just applied to AMCAS (18 schools) and also AACOMAS (5 schools).

I want to use HCSP (which is very similar to HPSP for those of you unfamiliar, but it does not cover med school costs, but rather includes full benefits E-6/E-7 pay, and you can use your GI bill to cover school costs)

Question:

If I am getting out of the military in a few months with an honorable discharge, can I still get into HCSP or even HPSP.

I know that it would be very easy to get in while still active as long as I get an acceptance from an accredited med school, but I was wondering what the competiveness was like as a civilian and what criteria you are judged on.

Thank you.

Thanks and...

HSCP is now for the Medical Corps as well!!!

The beautiful thing is nobody knows about it. Its like this hidden program. Its hard to even find the instruction on it. I actually know a few physicians in medical school right now via HSCP. But most career counselors in the military are still unaware of it. I've finally found the medical officer recruiter in my area who handles the HSCP program, but he is very hard to get a hold of, so I occasionally ask questions on this forum.

Thanks for the help!

Interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is only open to prior enlisted, correct?

No, its open to anybody, however its only really practical for prior enlisted because it does not pay for medical school. Prior enlisted can use the GI Bill to cover costs at a state school, or even a private university and take some loans to cover the rest if need be. But for people without the GI Bill it would not be that practical.

The huge benefit for the HSCP program for myself are the following:

1. Full benefits for my whole family (I have a wife and 3 kids)
2. Time counts towards retirement
3. E-6 pay /or E-7 pay if you get deans list the first semester
4. No uniform (shorts, flip flops, and goatee here I come)
5. It says you may have to drill, but from the people I've spoke with, there is no drilling involved

While HPSP covers full schooling costs, it only gives you a stipend with no benefits. I can't cover my whole family off of 2K a month and no benefits.

Anyways, hope this helps for those of you who have never heard of it.

I think HSCP stands for Health Service Collegiate Program and it was previously only for the medical service corps, but thank goodness they extended it to the medical corps.

So, has anyone been offered the scholarship and/or sworn in at the very last minute? It's the weekend and my orientation starts Monday. Just twiddling my thumbs here about the tuition bill... Trying to rest on my recruiter's assurance from weeks ago that the Navy does want to commission me (pending approval of my citizenship-documents).

So, has anyone been offered the scholarship and/or sworn in at the very last minute? It's the weekend and my orientation starts Monday. Just twiddling my thumbs here about the tuition bill... Trying to rest on my recruiter's assurance from weeks ago that the Navy does want to commission me (pending approval of my citizenship-documents).

Yes, people are commissioned at the "last minute." It is a question of whose last minute you are talking about....the Navy's or yours. As long as they commission you prior to the end of the first term, your whole tuition is covered. Might you have to cover it until then? Yep.

Yes, people are commissioned at the "last minute." It is a question of whose last minute you are talking about....the Navy's or yours. As long as they commission you prior to the end of the first term, your whole tuition is covered. Might you have to cover it until then? Yep.
Thanks for the response. I would hope that I could swear in by the end of fall semester at least... Good thing I accepted my other financial aid offers anyway! How could I forget that the Navy's timelines do not equal my timelines?

EDIT: Got my selection letter today (the day before classes start)! So all is well, I can swear in next week. My school's financial aid office said that this sort of thing happens relatively often and it's no big deal, to get a scholarship later in the semester. I am soo tired, yet wired and excited just from orientation week! Can't wait to jump in to the real stuff now!

Last edited:
Hi,

My recruiter just called me. He said that even though the program manager told him that I was at the April Board, I really was not. He said basically that my application was never officially submitted by the program manager. Now he said I am now at the May Board. That they never actually looked at my application.

Ken

Get used to this if you are joining the military. I am currently in the Navy and I can't imagine a worse run company.

Members don't see this ad :)
My question is in regards to HPSP, FAP, and USUHS. I am prior service and am working on finishing up my bachelor's degree for medical school. Unfortunately, medical school does not accept the pre-req. science courses from any online schooling. I am considering whether to get out and finish the last few courses needed and then coming back in using one the above scholarship programs. My main concern is, how likely is it that prior service members who get out to finish/further their education and try to come back using one of these programs are accepted? What exactly is the service commitment that one will have to give back and what benefits do you receive while under any of the scholarship programs? Thank you.

And just think, if this is how they treat you when they are trying to sell you on the program, imagine what it will be like when they own you...

I want out

Reactions: 1 user
My question is in regards to HPSP, FAP, and USUHS. I am prior service and am working on finishing up my bachelor's degree for medical school. Unfortunately, medical school does not accept the pre-req. science courses from any online schooling. I am considering whether to get out and finish the last few courses needed and then coming back in using one the above scholarship programs. My main concern is, how likely is it that prior service members who get out to finish/further their education and try to come back using one of these programs are accepted? What exactly is the service commitment that one will have to give back and what benefits do you receive while under any of the scholarship programs? Thank you.
1. Prior service is definitely a plus but it wont always trump academics. I am not aware of many reputable med schools that value online degrees or similar. Could be wrong, though.

2. Getting out and getting your course work completed is a good option.

3. Your commitment with HPSP is the same as non mil types. 4 yrs.

I have been accepted into pharmacy school. Does anyone have info regarding the process for HSCP and if pharmacy is an acceptable program of study?

I have been accepted into pharmacy school. Does anyone have info regarding the process for HSCP and if pharmacy is an acceptable program of study?
I have a friend that was interested in this. Bad news for you is it can be really hard to find someone to help you out. My experience is that these recruiters aren't beating the bushes trying to find applicants so you have to reach out to them. You will probably have to call mult times and leave a bunch of messages before you get to talk to someone. Do this early. The application process only happens once a year. I'm not sure if they offer a full 4 year deal like med school. I know they do mostly 3 year tickets. When you do get a hold of someone, make sure you know exactly when and what you are supposed to do. If you miss the deadline, you are going to be sucking it until a year or two after graduation when you could try and apply for a direct commission. By that time, they only offer $80,000 loan forgiveness (sometimes a $20,000 sign on bonus but depends on the year).

Good luck

Also, I'm not sure your Navy salary is very comparable to civ side, especially at first. Later maybe, but definitely not for about 6-8 years

1. Prior service is definitely a plus but it wont always trump academics. I am not aware of many reputable med schools that value online degrees or similar. Could be wrong, though.

2. Getting out and getting your course work completed is a good option.

3. Your commitment with HPSP is the same as non mil types. 4 yrs.

Ok thank you. My grades are good I stand at about a 3.5 right now but I still have several upper level science courses to finish so I should be good in that area it will just be working hard to do well on the MCAT. Just wasn't sure if it was going to be worth it.

I have a friend that was interested in this. Bad news for you is it can be really hard to find someone to help you out. My experience is that these recruiters aren't beating the bushes trying to find applicants so you have to reach out to them. You will probably have to call mult times and leave a bunch of messages before you get to talk to someone. Do this early. The application process only happens once a year. I'm not sure if they offer a full 4 year deal like med school. I know they do mostly 3 year tickets. When you do get a hold of someone, make sure you know exactly when and what you are supposed to do. If you miss the deadline, you are going to be sucking it until a year or two after graduation when you could try and apply for a direct commission. By that time, they only offer $80,000 loan forgiveness (sometimes a $20,000 sign on bonus but depends on the year).

Good luck
I really appreciate your response to this post. You were very correct about how hard it is to get a hold of someone. I will keep pursuing it because i do have a lot of questions. Thanks again.

A website I was reading said that you don't get summers off when taking an HPSP scholarship in the "cons" column of its HPSP review. I know there's an AD requirement of 45 days per year, but other than the 3rd/4th year clerkships and ODS (which I plan to do before school starts) I can't see what would cause you not to have summers off. I know that school orders are also an option. Is there anything required that would cause you to lose your summer time off?

A website I was reading said that you don't get summers off when taking an HPSP scholarship in the "cons" column of its HPSP review. I know there's an AD requirement of 45 days per year, but other than the 3rd/4th year clerkships and ODS (which I plan to do before school starts) I can't see what would cause you not to have summers off. I know that school orders are also an option. Is there anything required that would cause you to lose your summer time off?

What you said is correct. ODS can count for one summer, although from my understanding you can complete it at any time as long as you do so before you begin residency. Some may even do it after medical school.

A vast majority of students I presume do at least one away rotation during fourth year. It is possible to squeeze a second one into the next fiscal year, one before October and one after October starts.

You will have your summers just like your civilian peers.

What you said is correct. ODS can count for one summer, although from my understanding you can complete it at any time as long as you do so before you begin residency. Some may even do it after medical school.

A vast majority of students I presume do at least one away rotation during fourth year. It is possible to squeeze a second one into the next fiscal year, one before October and one after October starts.

You will have your summers just like your civilian peers.

Thank you for your reply. Just wanted to make sure that I was not missing anything.