Hpsp recoupment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know the army's policy for recoupment of HPSP money if you have completed your ADSO but unable to complete the IRR portion. I am scheduled to ETS after 4 years next month and the CG is trying to chapter me for minor misconduct. He's being a hardass and has requested they void my orders so he can carry out the chapter. Does anyone know how they calculate recoupment for IRR time?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, does anyone know the army's policy for recoupment of HPSP money if you have completed your ADSO but unable to complete the IRR portion. I am scheduled to ETS after 4 years next month and the CG is trying to chapter me for minor misconduct. He's being a hardass and has requested they void my orders so he can carry out the chapter. Does anyone know how they calculate recoupment for IRR time?
Jag should be able to find out

Assuming Army - AR 351-3 here figure 2-1. Though you may have to search further into other regulations and US Code referenced in that AR.
The calculations appear to be based on ADSO/ADO. You have completed that.
Out of curiosity - Is the CG line or medical?

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I don't know the regulations. For the military one has to be combined active duty or reserve for at least 8 years. Residency counts towards your active duty time. So at a minimum if you did a three year residency and paid back 4 years you only have one year left of IRR. If you did anything more than a three year residency with four years of payback then you leave with a clean slate, in regards to obligations. If you owe one year of IRR but are getting chaptered out for misconduct, I really don't think it would be worth the military's time to harangue you for one year of IRR.

The OP is a dentist.

Just as a FYI, in cases of early separation, the Separations Branch contacts the HPSP office for a dollar amount. The HPSP office provides that amount as verified by DFAS, and the Separations Branch does the calculation of $ amount owed.

The OP is a dentist.

Just as a FYI, in cases of early separation, the Separations Branch contacts the HPSP office for a dollar amount. The HPSP office provides that amount as verified by DFAS, and the Separations Branch does the calculation of $ amount owed.

USArmyHPSP - What is the calculation that the HPSP office utilizes? Is this an early separation if the ADO/ADSO is complete?

The HPSP office does not calculate they simply provide the total amount expended and separations does the calculation.