HPSP residencies a good idea post DO/MD residency merger>

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kp11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I am already considering a Navy HPSP scholarship to help pay for my school (very expensive private school), and I'm trying to get a full picture of the risks and benefits post graduating from medical school

After the DO/MD residency merger, MD's will now be able to match into previously only AOA residencies. This means that some of the more competitive DO residency spots (I'm thinking ER or Surgery) will inevitably be taken by MDs. Will also having Navy residencies open to me make any statistical improvement in my odds of getting into a more competitive specialty?

Thanks,
KP11
MS-1

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an expert here, but if you're HPSP then you will most likely be doing the military match and the merger won't apply to you.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not an expert here, but if you're HPSP then you will most likely be doing the military match and the merger won't apply to you.

from what I gather, you can do both civilian and navy residencies. I just have no idea if adding those military residencies to my list of options gives me any increased advantage for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that you can't apply for both and you should assume civilian match won't be an option, as in its difficult to default to the civilian match even though it's a "possibility."

from what I gather, you can do both civilian and navy residencies. I just have no idea if adding those military residencies to my list of options gives me any increased advantage for residency.

hpsp recipients are required to go through the military match.. they may apply for a civilian spot only as a fallback option if the military can't find a spot for them

Please don't go HPSP just to increase your match chances of matching a competitive residency. Do it because you want to. You'll still have to compete with people in the mil match. Anyways, just make the decision to join it separate from only thinking about your residency chances.

Also, first off, EM, while getting more competitive is very attainable as a DO (EM matches allover). Second he merger won't mean no more matching for DOs, and even if you were to believe it would mean that, it wouldn't mean that will happen by 2019, you know before the merger actually finishes. Third, tons (more than half) of DOs are currently matching ACGME, and overall placement rate is >98%, so I don't know that you're worried about.

Hallowmann makes a very good point. Hse is correct - you MUST apply to the military match.

There is one thing that hasn't been stated. Going the HPSP route simply for the money is not a good idea. The military, no matter the branch is the military and the needs of the military come before you and your family. You can end up in place that your spouse hates, working for someone who you do not like and no matter what, you can't quit.
I have known many who have thrived in the military system. I have known a few who were absolutely miserable for years. For the most part, those who were unhappy joined joined for the money, both while in school and for the pay that they would make as a fully trained XYZ physician/surgeon. While in school it's easy to put up with the few demands made by the military service sponsoring them. But not being allowed to make the same amount as their peers who don't owe the time makes Johnny a very unhappy saylor if that is the only end goal from the start.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys for the responses. I really want to serve my country and be a part of something larger than myself, so I am trying to figure out what I am getting involved in more than anything. So I guess to lead into my question a little more effectively:
I am worried about not matching into a specialty that I want in the Navy match. If I don't get my 1st-3rd match choices through the Navy residency match, do I have the option to defer to the civilian match, and then serve my time AFTER completing a civilian residency?

If you really want to do military I would suggest looking into FAP.

Thank you guys for the responses. I really want to serve my country and be a part of something larger than myself, so I am trying to figure out what I am getting involved in more than anything. So I guess to lead into my question a little more effectively:
I am worried about not matching into a specialty that I want in the Navy match. If I don't get my 1st-3rd match choices through the Navy residency match, do I have the option to defer to the civilian match, and then serve my time AFTER completing a civilian residency?

The Navy will not force you into a specialty you don't want but it can and often will defer training and force applicants to serve as a GMO post internship year.

Some people in mil med are able to do a civilian residency but there are many factors and service specific policies that make it very difficult to predict who will be allowed (or forced in some cases) to do a civilian residency. Check out the military forum. Lots of good info there.

There's some serious potential issues coming down the pipe for military GME: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-end-of-tricare-maybe.1118918/#post-16137212

Be wary of the HPSP unless you both really want to serve and are really okay with the military deciding what you do as a residency, as you'll be boxed into a milmatch that might ver well have far more limited options than it has historically if these changes go through.

Even if they don't, matches are made based on a points system. The most points go to those with prior military service, those with the potential to serve longer, those with a prior GMO tour, and those who went to USUHS (since they're locked in longer). Your board scores and every other thing that would normally make an applicant competitive matter very little. Given that you'll have no time served, your chances of matching a competitive residency will be very low.

Reactions: 1 users
OP...you would be making a big mistake. There is only ONE reason to do military medicine and that is because you want to selflessly take care of the women, women, and families of the military. They are the best patients in the world...and the most deserving of care.

Throw every other reason right out the window because I guarantee you that you will regret it if you do it for ANY other reason.

Military residencies can be competitive depending on the year. More and more civilians are gunning for competitive residencies...and the same can be said for military residency programs. There are fewer applicants on the military side...but there are also significantly fewer spots.

This year on the Navy side, only one person match Neurology...and at least four were rejected. Two of the rejected were coming off a 3-year GMO/FS tour. There were 7 people who applied PM&R this year (four coming off GMO/FS tours) in Navy, and the Navy didn't open up a spot. All four, including myself, will be heading to the civilian sector next year for training...where I will be far more likely to go a spot than the military.

You need to ask this same question on the military forum...and I am sure that you are going to get a very similar answer from everyone.

Reactions: 1 users