HPSP Stipend + MGIB As Income For VA Loan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

68PGunner

Has anyone have experience trying to get HPSP Stipend and MGIB as qualified income for a VA Loan? I'm working with a loan officer who's very new to the process and trying to steer me toward a traditional loan. I refuse to opt for an inferior loan especially when I qualify for a deserved benefit due to prior service. With both the HPSP stipend and MGIB, my annual income is around $53,000/yr, qualifying me for a $410-450 mortgage. The house is in a great location and my mortgage will be less than the rental cost of a similar property. Therefore, it's sensible for me to buy rather than rent a house.

For those that have been through the process, do you have any advice for me?

Members don't see this ad.

I found this blog https://www.veteransunited.com/valoans/explaining-standard-for-debt-to-income-ratio/ which states at the very end that the gi bill doesn't qualify as income. Also here: https://www.veteransunited.com/valoans/can-i-qualify-for-a-va-loan-using-gi-bill-income/ it comes up. Not an official source, but its the best I can find.

Also, buying a $400k house at $53k post tax income would really be stretching it. This is just the opinion of some random dude on the internet but I wouldn't go over 36% debt to income ratio so ~1600 to include mortgage, property tax, and mandatory home owners insurance.

Good luck with everything

It's not stretching it if you make 90K/yr during your residency years, along with about $130-140K/yr during the 4 HPSP payback years. In my opinion, the housing market is in a cyclical boom phase, so the worst case scenario will be to break even, meaning free rent during medical school.

Anyway, it seems that HPSP and MGIB income don't count into the income category. My wife and I will just get a rental for my years in medical school. We will revisit this topic again when I hit residency.

In my opinion, the housing market is in a cyclical boom phase, so the worst case scenario will be to break even, meaning free rent during medical school.
That is so far from the worst case scenario that its almost funny. Rent, move, rent, move. Or become a landlord in multiple places like the hotbed of Jacksonville NC, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is so far from the worst case scenario that its almost funny. Rent, move, rent, move. Or become a landlord in multiple places like the hotbed of Jacksonville NC, etc.

Before I joined the Army, my job was trading equities for a living. A huge portion of my time was dedicated toward predicting the cycle of recent trends. I was actually quite good at my job. If I'm right now in that US housing in still in the initial phase of a bull market, then breaking even on a house is not that farfetched. But, I totally see your points.

You may have been good at your job or you may have been lucky (or both). Neither of us know for sure. What we do know is that worse case scenarios for any investment are never breaking even (OK, except for the G fund and Congress is contemplating ****ing with that too).

Before I joined the Army, my job was trading equities for a living. A huge portion of my time was dedicated toward predicting the cycle of recent trends. I was actually quite good at my job.
When were you working in that field?

Every equity trader has been very good at their job since early 2009 ...

They were all winners in the late 90s, too. ;)

What's going on there?

The house budget included a provision to lower the rate of return (basically to zero). They didn't but it came up again in the fall. There was a WAPO article about it at the time and they were talking about it on NPR again recently.

When were you working in that field?

Every equity trader has been very good at their job since early 2009 ...

They were all winners in the late 90s, too. ;)

I started in late 2007. I nailed the financial crisis and the 670 SP500 bottom in March of 2009. I have outperformed the SP500 on an annual basis over the past eight years. I still trade equity as a side job because it's a hobby of mine which I am very good at.

Last edited by a moderator:
What planet do you live on? $400k mortgage on $53k/yr? What are you going to do when you move 2-3 more times? A $400k home is a stretch on $140k/yr once you factor in all the other bills you'll have in a few years.

I started in late 2007. I nailed the financial crisis and the 670 SP500 bottom in March of 2009. I have outperformed the SP500 on an annual basis over the past eight years. I still trade equity as a side job because it's a hobby of mine which I am very good at.

You're welcome to help me learn!

What planet do you live on? $400k mortgage on $53k/yr? What are you going to do when you move 2-3 more times? A $400k home is a stretch on $140k/yr once you factor in all the other bills you'll have in a few years.

It depends on a 30 yr mortgage relative to my supposedly monthly rent. With zero down, any mortgage that's equilavent to the rent is a good deal regardless of my annual income assuming that housing is in a cyclical boom cycle in which the worst case scenario is break even. Assuming an all across spectrum housing increase by 2% annual, tax free capital gain on a 400k house is higher than 200k house. Again, everything is relative depending on one's knowledge and risk tolerance. In term of relocation, it's all good if my net in renting it out pays for my mortgage and property tax. In fact, I wouldn't mind taking a 2-3% annual loss if the house is in a great location in which the property rises by at least 2-3% in value. The points are moot bc I can't get a VA loan anyway which is fine because I hate tying valuable cash to a house when I can yield about 20-25% annual gain through calculated investment means.

Members don't see this ad :)
Before I joined the Army, my job was trading equities for a living. A huge portion of my time was dedicated toward predicting the cycle of recent trends. I was actually quite good at my job. If I'm right now in that US housing in still in the initial phase of a bull market, then breaking even on a house is not that farfetched. But, I totally see your points.

If you think that you can predict the future...you are a fool. Even Benjamin Graham couldn't.

You shouldn't be spending more than two times your gross income on a mortgage, and that is ideally with 20% down and on a 15-year loan.

That's a bold statement, with an even bolder omission (yo, u make no comment on risk).

There is always risk when it comes to investment vehicles. But, there is a difference between calculated with high possible gain and low possible loss vs random investments. This is an example of a calculated pick to yield my 20-25% annual gain:

X Stock:
Market cap over 50 billions
Strong balance sheet with a viable business in the next 10 years, yielding positive cash flow
4.0-5.0% annual dividend yield
Possible 10-20% short term capital gain by the stock price in 10-12 months at the latest
2-3 months out covered call sell option giving me a 5-7% yield by Option Expiration date

I don't always pick winners all the time. But, in the worst case scenarios throughout my career, I normally take a 2-3% loss by my time period. This sometimes means selling the stock price at a 10-20% loss in stock price. However, due to my option hedges along with a 1-2% dividend yield in a quarter or two, my total loss is a 2-3%.

I obviously know what I'm playing with when it comes to risk, so it's not a big deal.

If you think that you can predict the future...you are a fool. Even Benjamin Graham couldn't.

You shouldn't be spending more than two times your gross income on a mortgage, and that is ideally with 20% down and on a 15-year loan.

I'm not saying that you're wrong or I'm right. However, investment decisions such as taking a mortgage are usually based on expected future income. Obviously, taking that mortgage without a backup plan is a terrible idea. However, I do have auxiliary savings in other sources that can probably shave that mortgage down to 150-200K in tough times.

This is funny stuff. Keep it coming. But please share why you left a job where you were the best in the world to join the Army.

I never quit equity trading in the first place. I still do it as a side job. I won't go into details why I join the Army. But, it was a contemplating process due to my belief, occurrences in life, and new additions to my family.

I am very well aware that things could blow up in my face forcing me to take on 50-60% drawdown. That's why I believe in continuous self-improvements in order to diversify my income streams. Obviously, one of my investments is to invest on myself, as evident by my medical pursuit. Income diversification is also the reason why I am itching to start building a portfolio of real estate at a young age. I'm not going to discuss my equity trading acumen any further because some of you are suspecting that I'm trying to impress the folks here in order to sell snake oil. That's far from the truth. One of the reasons why I don't bother to go into professional financial management is that I don't like the everyday burden of trying to sell people on products and that possible day when I have to explain to my investors why their retirement nest eggs take a 50% cut for the year. It's a hassle. I'm doing fine managing my money at this point. Family members and colleagues have approach me with six figures accounts, asking me to manage their money. I have turned their offers down. I love teaching and am always open toward teaching and guiding people through their financial learning. However, I refuse to give stock picks and advice because I am very well aware that my definition of normal risk significantly diverges from that of mainstream America. Throughout my life, I have only given out stock picks to friends and family members twice. Both of those picks return a 20-30% short term gain in 3-6 months with an annual dividend of 5%. Those picks were no brainers that only happen in rare occurrences. Short term and long term implications for those names yield multiple benefits. In my opinion, they were free money that only occur a few times in a decade because of panic selling.

Back to the topic, the point that I'm trying to make is that taking a $400k mortgage is not that asinine, considering the rate and 0% down from the VA loan. Even with the 400k mortgage, monthly mortgage and tax total up to about $2,000-2,200 a month. For that given area, I usually find the rent of inferior properties to be around $1,600-1,900. Given that situation, it was appealing for me to consider buying a significantly better property considering its proximity to good schools from elementary to collegiate levels. Perhaps, my thesis of a booming housing market is wrong. However, I can assure you that a myriad of factors go into my decision rather than the financial aspect of free rents with my supposed assumption of break even in the worst case scenario. The fact is that my wife and I don't mind possibly living in the area in the long run. Considering its location next to a marque university, it might not be a bad location for housing accommodation if our kids decide to attend that school for undergraduate studies. We love the area and could see ourselves living there for a while. With that in mind, I also have $150-200K in auxiliary savings to bring my mortgage payment down significantly if things diverge from my expectations. Lastly, it's not crazy when my expected gross after four years of med school is over $100K.

The house budget included a provision to lower the rate of return (basically to zero). They didn't but it came up again in the fall. There was a WAPO article about it at the time and they were talking about it on NPR again recently.

This sounds like a scam. What's stopping people from buying actual Treasury bonds then? I know that the yield isn't close to zero if you are willing to go to at least the 3yr mark:
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...interest-rates/Pages/TextView.aspx?data=yield

I'm not saying that you're wrong or I'm right. However, investment decisions such as taking a mortgage are usually based on expected future income. Obviously, taking that mortgage without a backup plan is a terrible idea. However, I do have auxiliary savings in other sources that can probably shave that mortgage down to 150-200K in tough times.

Your level of confidence tells me that you are likely heading toward a rood awakening one day. You can't predict the market...you just can't. The best investors in the world can't over the long run. Sure...there will be some that get luck for a few year span....but then they will lose. To think that you are the exception to the rule...that you can one up Benjamin Graham and Warren Buffett tells me that your overconfidence will likely be your downfall.

If you want to continue your incredibly high risk profile...do yourself a favor and wait until you get finished with your medical training, so that at least when the next good bear market hits that you can moonlight and find a way to prevent from starving. And please don't be giving financial advice to the incredibly naïve med students on this forum looking for the next get rich quick scheme.

Your level of confidence tells me that you are likely heading toward a rood awakening one day. You can't predict the market...you just can't. The best investors in the world can't over the long run. Sure...there will be some that get luck for a few year span....but then they will lose. To think that you are the exception to the rule...that you can one up Benjamin Graham and Warren Buffett tells me that your overconfidence will likely be your downfall.

If you want to continue your incredibly high risk profile...do yourself a favor and wait until you get finished with your medical training, so that at least when the next good bear market hits that you can moonlight and find a way to prevent from starving. And please don't be giving financial advice to the incredibly naïve med students on this forum looking for the next get rich quick scheme.

I never said that I can predict the market. When I buy something, I am willing to ride the down ride based on actual fundamentals. Obviously, when someone is buying a house, it should be based on other factors involved such as available school, neighborhood, amenities, and the most important factor of all is the foresight of seeing themselves setting down there for at least the next 10 years. Here're my thought process toward getting that 400k mortgage. If I'm right, I would break even and get free rent. If I'm wrong, it's a good property close to good schools allowing me to find a renter to help pay for my mortgage after med school. In the long term over 10 years, the value will probably rise due to expected inflation, immigration from other states, and study bodies from nearby colleges/universities settling down and attractive good jobs to the area.

I'm not the exception to the rule. I'm very well aware of this. This is why I want to diversify my income streams by trying to venture into real estate instead of limiting myself to equities. If you actually read my posts around here, I have never advocated anyone for a get rich quick scheme. In fact, most of my comments regarding financial management has been to be a prudent spender and planner with a target goal of 7-8% per year.

This sounds like a scam. What's stopping people from buying actual Treasury bonds then? I know that the yield isn't close to zero if you are willing to go to at least the 3yr mark:
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...interest-rates/Pages/TextView.aspx?data=yield

Not sure what you mean by a scam. People would move their money into other funds or out of the TSP altogether if this change occured. Selfishly, I hope this doesn't happen because I want the G fund to exist when I'm old.