Army HRC Meddling. . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homunculus

SDN Caveman Administrator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
tossing out some feelers to see if anyone else has heard of this.

i discovered via some sources that in addition to making CCC, ILE mandatory for promotion and operational "broadening" assignments almost so, that they are also now attempting to make it more difficult to demonstrate "progressing increasing levels of responsibility or career advancement" by eliminating a lot of the leadership positions that people are currently filling. for example-- chief of inpatient medicine, outpatient medicine, chief of subspecialty, assistant PD, etc. are all supposedly going to be nuked by HRC on our ORBs. the only "real" positions that exist will be OIC and (maybe?) program director. that's it. this will effectively kill promotions for people not willing to cannibalize each other to get those few positions.

anyone heard anything similar?

just one more brick in the wall i suppose.

--your friendly neighborhood the new interns would never get that reference :( caveman

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about that but I did recently hear of a LTC who was either dept head or deputy dept head who got passed over for promotion just because they didn't go to ILE. Now the guy is getting out and going private practice.

Army wants us to be soldiers but they don't accept the notion that many of the soldier tasks and special schools for promotion are a waste of time and money for providers.

Well, not to agree with the good idea fairy but one frustration I had was that everyone was special (I'm the assistant to the regional manager so I can't see clinic, etc). Lots of made up jobs should go away.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure about that but I did recently hear of a LTC who was either dept head or deputy dept head who got passed over for promotion just because they didn't go to ILE. Now the guy is getting out and going private practice.

Army wants us to be soldiers but they don't accept the notion that many of the soldier tasks and special schools for promotion are a waste of time and money for providers.

this has been the rule as of late. people get passed over for O-5 routinely due to lack of CCC, and ILE will soon be a discriminator as well if not the major one.

Well, not to agree with the good idea fairy but one frustration I had was that everyone was special (I'm the assistant to the regional manager so I can't see clinic, etc). Lots of made up jobs should go away.

i completely agree with those positions. but subspecialty chief at a MEDCEN or outpatient or inpatient clinic chief or ICU is legit. complete with budgets, evals, employees, the whole magilla. not getting this recognized as a leadership position is a joke. and if they wipe it retroactively off the ORB's promotions will probably plummet even more. i'm not sure if it's going to be implemented or if it was a trial balloon but the impact will be huge if it goes down as the benefit to taking those positions would be even less.

--your friendly neighborhood 3.5 years until parole caveman

Just saw this today:

http://www.armytimes.com/story/mili...mand-opportunities-sharply-increase/19742799/

i discovered via some sources that in addition to making CCC, ILE mandatory for promotion and operational "broadening" assignments almost so, that they are also now attempting to make it more difficult to demonstrate "progressing increasing levels of responsibility or career advancement" by eliminating a lot of the leadership positions that people are currently filling. for example-- chief of inpatient medicine, outpatient medicine, chief of subspecialty, assistant PD, etc. are all supposedly going to be nuked by HRC on our ORBs. the only "real" positions that exist will be OIC and (maybe?) program director. that's it. this will effectively kill promotions for people not willing to cannibalize each other to get those few positions.

--your friendly neighborhood the new interns would never get that reference :( caveman

The writing was on the wall my first year out of training. I had a senior 06 from HRC come to my MEDDAC to talk military career to physicians at my MEDDAC. He basically said operational tours was the direction the Army was moving. Progressing in rank will heavily depend on operational assignments (Battalion-, Brigade-, Division-, Flight-Surgeon). These are all two year gigs. When people grumbled that there will be skill or knowledge atrophy he had the gall to say that clinical rotations can be arranged through the chain of command during operational billets. He also made it clear that the mission of Medical corp is treatment of war-fighters which means operational medicine. He said the Army was close to getting rid of GME in the 90s and to farm out all CONUS care to the civilian side but they realized they'd need physicians to deploy.

I have 1.5 years before I can get out. I could careless if CCC, ILE or whatever else is mandatory. I am 4 years in to being a Major and have no plans or intentions to do CCC.

Reactions: 1 user