hSDN Class of 2012

I post in Pre-Allo quite a bit, but mainly in the threads that get no love. (Or in some cases, excess hate/sarcasm).

AHMD: I got that question too, asked for a new camera. (Photography nerd alert). So excited.

Members don't see this ad.

I see. I think I'm going to wait until I start undergrad, or at least get really close. Haha, good for you for balancing out some of the haters Cee.

My grad present was a plane ticket, going to go visit my bestie who lives in SD for about 2 weeks :) I'm quiteee excited.

Well let me wish you an early welcome to the Rushmore state. If you breathe deeply, you will smell burning hair. (Branding Season).

Wonder where INS is. He usually pops up in the evenings....

cute-dog-hes-right-behind-me.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Looked through my 'interests' on Google Chrome. This came up. I feel pretty prime right now.

tumblr_lke3j6ZR8F1qclt3z.gif

Well let me wish you an early welcome to the Rushmore state. If you breathe deeply, you will smell burning hair. (Branding Season).

Wonder where INS is. He usually pops up in the evenings....

cute-dog-hes-right-behind-me.jpg

Well thank you! I have been there once before back in summer '10 and enjoyed it immensely, I'm looking forward to returning :) And I plan on trying a bison burger this time too :D

Yep, you are often stopped at the border if you leave SD without eating a buffalo burger. :D

NICE. Is that 7 school days or literally only a week? Either way, I'm so jealous. :p I have... 13 school days left? Something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Today I had to call Delta about my flights to SD (they changed my itinerary and scheduled me so that I would get into Minneapolis after my connecting flight from Minneapolis to SD departed #fail). All was resolved without incident, but I had to laugh as I was going through the automated system that you get when you first call. It asked for my trip confirmation number, and suggested that I "use common names, like 'M as in Mary, or T as in Tim' so that [it] can better understand what letters said". Of course my confirmation number had the most impossible letters ever, so there I was wracking my brain trying to come up with words for letters like X and O. The automated system gave up after a while (apparently 'xylophone' and 'octopus' weren't acceptable word choices) and just transferred me to the representative. :laugh:

R as in Robert Loggia
O as in Oh my God, it's Robert Loggia
B as in By God, it's Robert Loggia

:D

Word of advice to y'all. Study for college finals! I never studied for this class and My average test grade pre final was 96%, that dropped to a 90. (got a 72. :() I still got an A though, because of the lab portion, but damn was I :scarred:. Also it was ALL on Ecosystems and Zoology (wonder if they know what comprehensive means...) only one question on human biology... :(

Also it was ALL on Ecosystems and Zoology (wonder if they know what comprehensive means...) only one question on human biology... :(

That sounds like a FANTASTIC final. :D Kidding, that sucks, and I learned a similar lesson with my final in the college pre-calc class I took last year. Brought my class average down to a 79.4. Hello first C I had ever gotten in my life. :( I learned a lot from it though, that's for sure.

Yeah, finals are annoying me... that and trying to figure out where the eff to take my senior pictures at.... #firstworldproblems

BUT, huge bright spot in my day, I won a gaming tourney at our local library. #lolatfreshmentryingtobestmeatsmashbrothersbrawl

Hey guys! I'm technically suppose to be a senior in high school, but opted to do dual credit my sophomore year in HS - currently applying to med school!

Good luck in college, it is pretty easy - not too bad - obv more on your own. Keep an open mind and you will enjoy all of your classes. Also you premeds don't stress too much in the beginning and don't give up it can get rough mainly because y'all be focused on your GPA etc - prioritize and mainly time management is what keeps you on top of everything. Also don't think you won't have time to have fun - you will have plenty of time for sure!

-Keep yourself busy with your EC's and get do all the majority of your volunteer work your first two years while it's easy to do with your general courses!

-Get to know your professors early for letters and try to get your letters early mainly because they take forever to write - they are lazy
-If interested in research email or contact professors to see if they personally need help or if any of their PhD students need help. Do this early as well, and continue with it - if your lucky you can be an author of a pub if they include you. Don't let that be your main goal though
-Get involved in some leadership activities on campus

-The best advice would be to tutor the subjects bio, chem, physics, ochem after you take the course so when it comes time to study for the MCAT - the material will be so fresh when your doing content review.
-Non-clinical experience is always recommended - as long as you do your clinical volunteer work your good and you can also do shelter work etc

Good luck! It's funny literally two years ago i was a sophomore in HS - the majority of people I know are in the Class of '12 as well :thumbup::luck::xf:

Hey guys! I'm technically suppose to be a senior in high school, but opted to do dual credit my sophomore year in HS - currently applying to med school!

Good luck in college, it is pretty easy - not too bad - obv more on your own. Keep an open mind and you will enjoy all of your classes. Also you premeds don't stress too much in the beginning and don't give up it can get rough mainly because y'all be focused on your GPA etc - prioritize and mainly time management is what keeps you on top of everything. Also don't think you won't have time to have fun - you will have plenty of time for sure!

-Keep yourself busy with your EC's and get do all the majority of your volunteer work your first two years while it's easy to do with your general courses!

-Get to know your professors early for letters and try to get your letters early mainly because they take forever to write - they are lazy
-If interested in research email or contact professors to see if they personally need help or if any of their PhD students need help. Do this early as well, and continue with it - if your lucky you can be an author of a pub if they include you. Don't let that be your main goal though
-Get involved in some leadership activities on campus

-The best advice would be to tutor the subjects bio, chem, physics, ochem after you take the course so when it comes time to study for the MCAT - the material will be so fresh when your doing content review.
-Non-clinical experience is always recommended - as long as you do your clinical volunteer work your good and you can also do shelter work etc

Good luck! It's funny literally two years ago i was a sophomore in HS - the majority of people I know are in the Class of '12 as well :thumbup::luck::xf:

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't thought much about tutoring, but I really like that idea. And that's pretty dang impressive that you're 18 and applying to med school, wow. Best of luck to you!

Agreed, strong work!

Took my senior pics today, I don't wanna brag but I TOOK THEM WITH A DINOSAUR. :D

All the credit goes to that fabulous landowner who told me to go for it. I couldn't believe he said yes! Maybe I will post a pic when I get them back.

Finished my first 5K this morning at 30:41. Was hoping to break the thirty-minute mark, but still a good showing.

Good luck to everyone (myself included) taking the AP Chemistry exam tomorrow!

Finished my first 5K this morning at 30:41. Was hoping to break the thirty-minute mark, but still a good showing.

Good luck to everyone (myself included) taking the AP Chemistry exam tomorrow!

Nice dude, I'm sure you'll break 30m next time!

Nice work, AHMD! :thumbup:

And nice to meet ya, Texas! Welcome to the 2012 thread, aka where awesome lives. :)

So for anyone taking AP Chem, how did the exam go? There were a few multiple choice questions that threw me off, like when it asked about lab techniques and internuclear separation (or something like that), but the MC wasn't too bad. Free-response was tough, but hopefully I was able to grab enough points to get a good score.

Multiple choice was easy overall compared to mock tests I've had to take. Glad there wasn't anything about labs but had one free response that threw me off completely.

INS, I loled.

AHMD: Congrats on the 5K! Was it a charity race, or put on by your school or some such? I want to run this 10K coming up in August (local charity) but still have a ways to go training wise.

Also, welcome new peeps!

INS, I loled.

AHMD: Congrats on the 5K! Was it a charity race, or put on by your school or some such? I want to run this 10K coming up in August (local charity) but still have a ways to go training wise.

Also, welcome new peeps!

Was put on by my school's XC team to raise money for senior scholarships.

Hey guys! Graduating soon, excited about college. I found out last night I got another scholarship. I love free money.

Free money is a beautiful thing! Congrats on your scholarship, nice to meet you, and welcome aboard :) What's your major going to be?

Okay, so Felicia Day is a genius. #justsoyouknow

I am addicted to her new youtube channel. Bonus, Wil Wheaton is involved.

Skools out! except I have to go in tomorrow because of my damn AP Calc test today. :(

Whaa? two days ago was my 1 year on SDN anniversary and I forgot!11!!:(

Haha, congrats on both counts, INS! My last day is Monday. :D Everybody survive the AP Lit test today, by the way? I didn't think it was too bad. It felt kinda long, but not too bad.

Why can't I study everything? It would be awesome to be a doctor and learn about medicine and save lives, it would be awesome to be an engineer and develop the next great thing, it would be awesome to ... uh... Oh I guess that's all I want to do. Screw everything else, but it sucks that I can't do both.

You know what? I'm gonna try. I think my new plan is to major in Comp Science and take pre med required classes. I'll do software and voice recognition/response research as well as some hardware stuff and study for the MCAT, Screw these "don't major in something difficult" types, I'll do whatever I want to and excel at it. Unless it's English, I suck at writing English research papers, I don't get stuff like symbolism, style, and tone at all.

/rant

Translate: I'm good at science and math, suck at English and my research paper is holding me back from Michigan, at least my teacher is letting me rework it.

Why can't I study everything? It would be awesome to be a doctor and learn about medicine and save lives, it would be awesome to be an engineer and develop the next great thing, it would be awesome to ... uh... Oh I guess that's all I want to do. Screw everything else, but it sucks that I can't do both.

You know what? I'm gonna try. I think my new plan is to major in Comp Science and take pre med required classes. I'll do software and voice recognition/response research as well as some hardware stuff and study for the MCAT, Screw these "don't major in something difficult" types, I'll do whatever I want to and excel at it. Unless it's English, I suck at writing English research papers, I don't get stuff like symbolism, style, and tone at all.

/rant

Translate: I'm good at science and math, suck at English and my research paper is holding me back from Michigan, at least my teacher is letting me rework it.

Majoring in something other than pre-medical biology?

tumblr_m198f6uAov1r23xoc.gif

All jokes aside, that's great. If you're really interested in comp. science, more than any science, you'll probably do a lot better since you actually care about what you're learning about. It's odd. I went awhile where I wanted to major in civil or environmental engineering (a part of me still does). But, I'm really into biochemistry, so I'm going to go that route to start.

Love the gif man, and thanks, just needed to vent. I should be okay with english but I hate having stuff that needs to be done and not being able to do it.

Love the gif man, and thanks, just needed to vent. I should be okay with english but I hate having stuff that needs to be done and not being able to do it.

If you need any help with that English thing, I don't mind giving it a quick look-over or giving a hand with any issues you have. Just let me know.

EDIT: Granted it doesn't involved Brave New World at all.

If you need any help with that English thing, I don't mind giving it a quick look-over or giving a hand with any issues you have. Just let me know.

EDIT: Granted it doesn't involved Brave New World at all.

It's not like that, I turned it in a while ago and apparently sucked it up. My teacher is letting me fix it tomorrow because she knows that I can't get a C in the class or else I'll have to explain it to Michigan.

Edit: Wow, I was really freaking out there... I'll be fine, that'll teach me not to put off an 18 page paper until the last day... It's a good thing that my teacher likes me enough to give me this second chance though, I can't thank her enough.

Last edited: