hSDN Class of 2012

I feel that medical ethics or some sort of ethics class should be a pre-requisite for medical school. There are so many issues (abortion, human euthanasia, cultural/religious views on treatments, domestic violence, and of life care come to mind) to be explored. Even outside of a medical context, plenty of ethical issues exist on the local, national, and international levels and offer themselves to discussion.

If it could be a discussion style class, it could help improve your public speaking and analytical skills, which are crucial for good doctors to posses.

Agreed. I'm minoring in "Health, Medicine, and Human Values" because I love all of these topics. There's a mandatory bioethics class that I'm really looking forward to taking. That being said, it looks like HS class of 2011 will be the last class to take the old MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree. From a non-medical viewpoint, I see so many arguments on issues that completely fail to adhere to the issue (politics, religion, etc.). That would be a great idea for a minor, as it'll help you prepare for medical school yet be interesting.

All around the world ethics are abused, even the American soldiers abuse it when they tied up hostages and took video footage of them naked. In addition, the health care reform that Obama's administration passed further merges ethics and medicine, especially due to the part about older people having to pay 2 to 3 times more for treatment or having treatment downright refused, essentially killing off the older generation.

Back to the MCAT, hopefully the curriculum that students are expected to know is released well before the test is revised. That way, we can angle our classes somewhat to fit that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Back to the MCAT, hopefully the curriculum that students are expected to know is released well before the test is revised. That way, we can angle our classes somewhat to fit that.

When do you enter college?

Well according to an article I read, supposed the aamc is set to approve the changes sometime next February and I'm guessing schools will begin to change their pre-med programs then in order to best prepare students for the new curriculum needed for the test.

Fall of 2012, hopefully at St. Michaels or UVM.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll have everything revised and planned by then. I just feel bad for you guys since it's all changing now. The first few years of changes are always a little rough

Yeah, I'm sure they'll have everything revised and planned by then. I just feel bad for you guys since it's all changing now. The first few years of changes are always a little rough

Life is all about adapting, no? :)
It's no different than any other cycle of applying, at least from my point of view. Those who score well will get in. The school in question may have to change their definition of "well," as it's unlikely scores would remain as high as they were in previous years in light of the new changes. I don't think we will see a gap between high scores and low scores, rather an overall shift down in scores. If the best of the best are scoring 28Os, then a 28O will be good enough to get into the most selective schools.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's all relative, so it's not that scary to me.

Do you guys go to private or public schools? I always thought most public schools got out mid-June.

Public School, but I also got out on the 18th.

I'm actually considering trying to get all my pre-req's out of the way my freshman and sophomore year and attempt it that summer, otherwise Gamma summed it up pretty well: ":("

MCAT scores are only valid for 3 years, so if you were considering a gap year you would have to forego it.

Wooooooo, class of 2012! Mostly likely I've be going to a CC then transferring to University of Miami!

I think I'm going to take a freshman English class summer of senior year, that or see if I could find a research position at either my local college, or where ever I go.

Just thinking out loud in "post form" :).

I think I'm going to take a freshman English class summer of senior year, that or see if I could find a research position at either my local college, or where ever I go.

Just thinking out loud in "post form" :).

Research as a freshman?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not uncommon. Some researchers like having freshman to do research because they usually have a lighter class schedule and can devote more time. I'm also pretty sure that a certain SDN member who is now a freshman in college did some research as a HS student.

It's not uncommon. Some researchers like having freshman to do research because they usually have a lighter class schedule and can devote more time. I'm also pretty sure that a certain SDN member who is now a freshman in college did some research as a HS student.

While I think doing undergraduate research is in my future, if I were you, I would sit down and write out a plan for your college years as far as research/shadowing/volunteering time goes. What benefit would you get doing it pre-freshman year? I know the many places have limited freshman research opportunities and that sophomores and up are given preference. Also, would you really have the science background to do/learn anything useful?

I feel that your time would be better used relaxing, moving in, or spending time with your friends for your last "real" summer, but that's just me. There's going to be plenty of time for us to work hard in the next four years.

Note: This is just what I would do, but what do I know? I may wind up at the Underground Caribbean School of Witch Doctoring. :laugh:

Haha, true. It's probably the "I want to get out of here/very bored" voice talking to me...

Last edited:
Princeton, I've heard that the acceptance rate EA is considerably higher than regular admission. They also just reinstated EA this year, so people may not know much about it :).

2011'er here.

The reason why some of these top schools have a higher EA/ED acceptance rate than RD is because these schools get the best of the batch applying EA/ED, meaning that they have a little flexabilty as to choose who they accept.

I also heard that only athletes, legacies, and URMs get the "applying EA/ED boost." However, this shouldn't stop you from applying early if you really want to.

Good luck.

I also heard that only athletes, legacies, and URMs get the "applying EA/ED boost." However, this shouldn't stop you from applying early if you really want to.

This is correct. Most schools, especially the Ivies, consider legacy applicants during EA/ED... Many Ivy applicants are legacies, and this is why the acceptance rate is higher. Athletes also need to apply EA/ED as the coaches encourage them to as the coaches can have sway over admissions. URMs I am not so sure about, but this may be correct also.

My view: Early Action is a gift... As long as it isn't single choice (Yale and Stanford), do it. Early Decision: Risky... But if you are 'deadset' or have legacy/connections, then do it. ED II (usually Dec/Jan not Nov) is sometimes an option if you are rejected or deferred via Early Action.

I actually just read that Princeton is only EA, so I'll still definitely do it. Even though I would like to go there a lot, I'm starting to think that wasting the 50k a yr. is probably not worth it in the long run...

I actually just read that Princeton is only EA, so I'll still definitely do it. Even though I would like to go there a lot, I'm starting to think that wasting the 50k a yr. is probably not worth it in the long run...

With Ivies, if you need the money... you will get it. As Conan O'Brien said his Harvard commencement speech (paraphrased): 'The Harvard Alumni committee called every single living graduate this past year for endowment donations and raised 3.2 billion dollars before they got to the Cs!'

Princeton is at 14.4 billion and has shot up around 15% over the last year.

Is being 150K+ in debt even the norm anymore? Just as JChait said, all these Ivies and LACs have fat wallets and allot millions of dollars to financial aid.

Also, a lot of Ivies, although they will not admit it, will 'match' the aid packages from other schools where a student is accepted. One of my friends (and research buddy) from high school got into MIT, Princeton, Brown, Harvard and Columbia. Harvard gave her more money, and she said MIT ended up matching Harvard's package. She ended up going to Harvard anyway... I know MIT is not an Ivy, but I believe she stated it was the same concept for all of the schools.

A lot of people don't call and talk to admissions/financial aid departments for more money... It works if your EFC isn't 50k+ and didn't just scrape by and get into the school.

I will more than likely not be receiving any financial aid. I just think that my parents/I wouldn't benefit from not having to pay $200k for an education that really doesn't matter after I (possibly) get into medical school, even if I love the school.

Last edited:
I will more than likely not be receiving any financial aid. I just think that my parents/I wouldn't benefit from not having to pay $200k for an education that really doesn't matter after I (possibly) get into medical school, even if I love the school.

I would you back you on this decision. Go to where you save the most money. Ultimately, the quality of your undegrad experience is largely determined by your own perception of it. Plenty of kids I know went to state schools and they are having a great time.

Debt sucks. Avoid it!

Even if you're unsure about financial aid, I would still apply to Princeton. You may get more than you expected. Also, if the financial aid doesn't match up to what you need, just pick a different school that you're accepted to. It isn't binding, so you'd only lose $50 for an acceptance fee. Better to try and see if Princeton works out than not try at all.

On a side-note, just took my last final of the year! Only have to show up tomorrow, and I'm done with junior year. :soexcited:

Last edited:
On a side-note, just took my last final of the year! Only have to show up tomorrow, and I'm done with junior year. :soexcited:

That's awesome! Now you can be :cool: like the rest of us who have been out for a month! :p

Also, this is now the longest thread on hSDN.

I know. :) Only 84 minutes until senior year.

But seriously, tuition shouldn't be a major concern while you're picking schools to go to. Maybe pick a state school as a back-up, both admissions-wise and financially. When you have your acceptances and everything is in front of you, then seriously consider tuition. I'm looking at Saint Mike's (my top-choice right now) and I'm going to wait until I get a financial offer 'til I decide whether it's affordable.

Well good luck doing a whole lot of nothing today, and your right, I should probably see if I get any FA or not before I make decisions, and even if I don't get any it probably shouldn't affect my college decisions. I wish that there were things that I could be doing now to get ready for admissions. Does anyone know if the essays are always the same for CommonApp essays?

Well good luck doing a whole lot of nothing today, and your right, I should probably see if I get any FA or not before I make decisions, and even if I don't get any it probably shouldn't affect my college decisions. I wish that there were things that I could be doing now to get ready for admissions. Does anyone know if the essays are always the same for CommonApp essays?

You could start making a list of deadlines for your college choices, set up college visits, get ready for senior year, etc.

FA should play a factor in your eventual decision, though. Don't want to end up at a super-expensive school which you can't afford, while not going to a terrible school simply because it's cheap. For example, I'm applying to UMass Amherst, but only as a total back-up (not a good school).

Yeah, I'm trying to schedule a visit to UMich, But it'll probably end up being sometime in the school year.

I found this :), which has the changes that they made to CommonApp this year, if anyone else wants to look at it.

If JChait still looks at this thread, how did the financial aid process work out for you? Did you get enough to cover college, when did you find out how much you got, etc?

By the way, GammaKnife, I found a way to fill my time today. Apparently, the Boston Bruins goaltender is getting his beard shaved off by Gillette for charity, and several TV channels have LIVE coverage of the shaving. I don't know whether to laugh or cringe.

EDIT: Big news; Tim Thomas is keeping a mustache! Newscasters commenting on it, and I'm so excited! :sleep:

By the way, GammaKnife, I found a way to fill my time today. Apparently, the Boston Bruins goaltender is getting his beard shaved off by Gillette for charity, and several TV channels have LIVE coverage of the shaving. I don't know whether to laugh or cringe.

Quality news reporting at its finest :rolleyes:

They're now holding a post-shave press conference with Thomas. God help me.

Anyway, congrats to everyone getting out of junior year and entering senior year.

If JChait still looks at this thread, how did the financial aid process work out for you? Did you get enough to cover college, when did you find out how much you got, etc?

I was a little bit different than the normal applicant, but everyone fills out a FAFSA and you guys should submit it as soon as possible, and definitely before the priority deadline. The earlier you submit, the earlier you have your EFC and then you can guesstimate how much you will receive. Check each of your school's percentage of need met. Most schools are in the 90% area, and many are in the high 90s.

Need = All costs of college per year - EFC (estimated family contribution per year AKA what the gov't expects you to pay... Based on income and tax brackets)

For example, mine was the following:

Need = ~38k - (EFC was 42k)

Due to my EFC being higher than the estimated cost, I did not receive any financial aid, but like all students, I was offered a 5,000 dollar loan I could take out through the school. You can always take out external student loans. Personally, my family didn not want me to take out loans, but since I received enough scholarship money, my tuition + everything else is below 20k.

Even before your school gives you a package, you should be researching for scholarships at each school, at your high school and at external sources. Fastweb is a good website to look for scholarships for individual interests and career goals. Most schools take anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks for a financial package. Mine took a week, since my EFC was above the cost of enrollment.

Personally, I didn't bother will my high school scholarships. Most awards were just a few hundred bucks, and weren't worth the amount of time I was going to spend writing essays, when I could just apply to better programs. At my school, I received around 8,000 at admission, and then another 10 for a special leadership scholarship.

Hope I didn't ramble (I do that often)... Ask any more questions if you need, as I check this thread once a day or so.

Does anyone know if the essays are always the same for CommonApp essays?

Yes, they are always the same for the general essay. Not the same for supplements, though. Some schools keep the same questions, but most do not.

The top two colleges I'm looking are around 80% of need met. Not too bad, seeing how some other colleges are much lower than that.

I just need a quick clarification on the schedule. I know our CommonApp is released around August. When do most people usually file CommonApp, FAFSA, and scholarship applications? I'm just trying to set up a schedule of what I need to do.

By the way, good luck to everyone on Thursday's SAT score release.

FAFSA is not Google Chrome compatible..:(. Oh well, January first is when it opens right?

Last edited:
Do you have any plans for vacationing soon, Anti?

DCI World Premiere is tonight... I'm pretty excited! :)

Nothing really. Just a trip to Vermont for college visits one day, possibly a weekend trip to Maine or Vermont at some point. That's all I can think off. What do you mean by DCI, by the way?

GammaKnife, I believe so. Here's a link I found that could help.
http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/fotw1112/pdf/Deadlines.pdf

Sorry for posting in you guys thread in all considering for 2011-2012 I'm only going to be a sophmore but I just wanted to say I'm so glad someone made this thread, it's actually very informative. HSDN isn't as active as other parts of forums, or 90% of them have no relative to me so I'm like this lonely flowing soul across forums..:( Anywho lol
Congrats to all the soon - to - be seniors!:rolleyes:
I never knew the process was so..complicated. I have a long way to go (ish) before I come to that but I'm glad there was a thread like this to help me know what to expect.
If it wasn't for this entire forum, I'm sure I can speak for a lot of people when I say, we would probably be a bit( extremely for me) more lost in this whole life training process. lol

I just need a quick clarification on the schedule. I know our CommonApp is released around August. When do most people usually file CommonApp, FAFSA, and scholarship applications? I'm just trying to set up a schedule of what I need to do.

This was last year, during the 2010-2011 cycle:

CommonApp opens: August 1st
Early Action/Early Decision I deadline: November 1st - 15th (most schools)
Regular Decision/Early Decision II deadline: January 1st - 15th (most schools)
FAFSA opens: January 1st
FAFSA priority deadline: February 15th
Regular Decision notifications: Late March to early April

I didn't list Early Action or Early Decision notifications because those 1. depend on the school and 2. are not always accurate. University of Miami's Early Action came back late January, while Tulane's came back mid-October.

Scholarships will vary. My advice is to make a calendar (I used iCal for OS X) for your college applications. Set dates and goals, and try to submit everything as soon as possible, even if it's regular decision.

Also, keep a physical copy and digital copy of all of your school login information. Almost every school, after your application is complete, will send you a login so you can check the status of your application and send a deposit if you choose to enroll. I lost these stupid logins so many times and had to reset passwords due to the ridiculous requirements they have for 'secure' passwords. Some schools required an uppercase letter, a lowercase letter a number and a symbol to be in the password which made remembering all of them impossible.

Sorry for posting in you guys thread in all considering for 2011-2012 I'm only going to be a sophmore but I just wanted to say I'm so glad someone made this thread, it's actually very informative. HSDN isn't as active as other parts of forums, or 90% of them have no relative to me so I'm like this lonely flowing soul across forums..:( Anywho lol
I never knew the process was so..complicated. I have a long way to go (ish) before I come to that but I'm glad there was a thread like this to help me know what to expect.
If it wasn't for this entire forum, I'm sure I can speak for a lot of people when I say, we would probably be a bit( extremely for me) more lost in this whole life training process. lol

GTFO!!!

Just kidding :), glad to help. I was just like you before I discovered hSDN, and probably would have gone into senior year completely clueless. Anyways, feel free to post questions, because you're right, not much happens on hSDN.

You're welcome! I had no idea this thread would be so active. It seems like yesterday that I was a sophomore... Even though two years seems like a long time, it flies by! Do you have any plans as of yet?

And I completely agree; SDN is extraordinarily handy in helping inform people on every step of this process... All the way through residency (and even then people discuss practicing here!)

Serious props to the attendings, fellows, residents, interns, professional students, and undergrads who contribute to not only this forum, but all other forums we will need in the future!

I must thank all of those who post here, as well. Coming from someone who just finished freshman year*, I have learned more in a month or so than I ever could have otherwise. It has created very black and white goals I need to set for myself/work for and, though when I first began learning I began to doubt my ability to accomplish that MD in the future, my passion and drive to work against all odds and 'do it' has only increased. This year was awful for me, academically; my test grades were strong, yet I did little to no homework. I'll be finishing with mid to high 70s (most likely), which is completely below my potential. Joining SDN and reading posts here - from hSDN to premedical to medical school and to residency - has motivated me to turn it around, and I actually received 80s and 90s for the last quarter of school. I'm taking a college course this Summer, as well, and, right now, I am managing a 4.0 with some ease (non-science course). Next month, I will be attending John Hopkin's Summer Program for middle and high school students (I have qualified since 7th grade, through adequate SAT testing, just never had the drive/motivation to do it), which allows its participants to take a non-credit college course - for me, it'll be Ethics. Though attention and developing the discipline needed is still/will still be a struggle, considering I was doing nothing only three or so months ago, I think I'm on the right track. My only regret is not finding this site sooner.

*In fact, considering I am fed up with the mind-numbing intellectual restraint that our country calls high school, I am looking into applying/attending Bard at Simon's Rock after next year (the admissions counselor is pushing for this year; but I don't think I could scrap the money together in a little over a month), a fully accredited, AA and BA granting liberal arts college specifically designed to educate teenagers who are ready for to move on from high school early. A good portion of their student body is premedical, in fact, so I would not be alone. After a year or two there, depending, I plan on applying to transfer either to Bard itself (and work on a BA in Human Rights) or to one of my state (SUNY) schools. Then, if all goes well, I should be matriculating into medical school by my 19th, 20th or 21st Birthday (Depending on when I gain admission to Simon's Rock and any gap year I may take. If my GPA does struggle, I already have a few Special Masters Programs in the back of my mind I would try to get through. My heart's with medicine, and has been for years). If that's not a turn around in mindset and motivation, I truly don't know what is.

Anyways, there's my sappy IloveSDNandithas100%helpedmeandwillhelpmeforyearsandthankgodIfoundit message. Now, to go study for my biology regents (oh, New York).

Peace.

Erika

Last edited:
Dang, I guess we just got unlucky then. We had some massive tree fall down on some of our power lines so it took them awhile to repair.
On a side-note, do any of yall know how pre-med will change cause of the new MCAT, seeing as we're the first class that's pretty much required to take it?

Actually the new test should be the same, because MCAT=MCAT.

Ahh...physics humor...:D

How are you guys spending your summer right now? A majority of the scholarships I've looked at so far are only intended for the graduating class this year, and college admissions start up in August. Sort of stuck in terms of what to do for college right now, except for work on AP Chemistry stuff and earn some money with work.

How are you guys spending your summer right now? A majority of the scholarships I've looked at so far are only intended for the graduating class this year, and college admissions start up in August. Sort of stuck in terms of what to do for college right now, except for work on AP Chemistry stuff and earn some money with work.

Relax... Seriously! If you can find some volunteer/research/shadowing work then do it alongside applications. Make sure to do something, but not to a point where you're so tired and burned out that you aren't ready for application season or senior year. I thought senior year was a joke, but the first semester was a slap in the face. I had a few applications left and a ton of stuff to do for my advanced classes. It was not fun, to say the least.