hSDN Class of 2012

Hi, i'm from the class of 2012. I'm taking AP calc AB, AP Lit, and AP Govt. Anyone else here from the West Coast? I noticed everyone here is mainly in the East.

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke with a local vet who went to Cornell for both UG and vet school, and she re-interested me in Cornell. I'm thinking about throwing in an application, but I don't think I'd get accepted. Are any of you familiar with Cornell?

Not much, but if you want to increase your chances, you could ask her for a letter of recommendation. My grandfather was on the adcom of a certain medical school, and said that letters from alumni were a plus.

Also, a little off topic, but to assure that you don't get into a school, feel free to not follow application instructions. For instance, his school required a 2.5 x 3.5 inch black and white head and neck photo. He would throw out an application instantly if the picture did not meet those requirements. You could have scored a 45T and get a 4.0 from MIT in Engineering, as well as cured cancer, AIDs, solved world hunger, fixed the economy, and turned Africa into a first world country. But if you had an 8 x 10 colored photo of you and the puppies you saved from euthanasia, he would throw you out.

Not much, but if you want to increase your chances, you could ask her for a letter of recommendation. My grandfather was on the adcom of a certain medical school, and said that letters from alumni were a plus.

Also, a little off topic, but to assure that you don't get into a school, feel free to not follow application instructions. For instance, his school required a 2.5 x 3.5 inch black and white head and neck photo. He would throw out an application instantly if the picture did not meet those requirements. You could have scored a 45T and get a 4.0 from MIT in Engineering, as well as cured cancer, AIDs, solved world hunger, fixed the economy, and turned Africa into a first world country. But if you had an 8 x 10 colored photo of you and the puppies you saved from euthanasia, he would throw you out.

Hmm. It must be tough to turn Africa into a country! Major props to whoever did that! :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm. It must be tough to turn Africa into a country! Major props to whoever did that! :smuggrin:

He/she unified all of Africa's individual countries to make a single country. Therefore, it can be considered a country or a continent. Duh :hungover:.

Or I messed up, but I seriously doubt it. :D

But seriously, follow instructions, it would suck to not get into your top school because you were careless.

Last edited:
Hi, i'm from the class of 2012. I'm taking AP calc AB, AP Lit, and AP Govt. Anyone else here from the West Coast? I noticed everyone here is mainly in the East.

Welcome to another fellow 2012-er! Nice to meet you kenshin421. I live in the Midwest, don't know of any other West Coast people but I'm sure there is someone! :)

2 days until ACT scores!!!

I felt like such a freaking geek last ACT score reporting date.
I stayed up until midnight doing nothing in particular to get my score.

I was a little underwhelmed with the 32. I felt like I made at least a 33+.

And then I stopped being such a whiny b**** and figured that a 32 was good enough to get a serious look from any college.
I think Princeton will give you a good look so long as you have at least a 30 (although higher would be nice,) and strong academics.

And then I stopped being such a whiny b**** and figured that a 32 was good enough to get a serious look from any college.
I think Princeton will give you a good look so long as you have at least a 30 (although higher would be nice,) and strong academics.

me. :laugh:

Edit: Ah, Nebraska. From 90* and sunny to 60mi/hr winds, rain, and house shaking thunder in a matter of hours... :)

Edit #2:

Also me :D

Last edited:

Haha I think everyone here knows exactly how you feel. I'm even the worse, SAT score availability changes to "available soon" at midnight and I stay up till 3 just to see my score, which was definitely less than a 32 equivalent.

On a side note, I contacted a Biology/Pre-Med chair at my top choice college, and she said that at the end of sophomore year, pre-med students meet with the pre-med council at the school to discuss grades and reasons to pursue medical school. Am I the only one who thinks that this means they limit the number of students they allow to apply?

Same here. :D And then mine weren't posted immediately after midnight and I went :bang: and resolved to check them again in a few hours when I got up for school. :p

I won't have any ACT results to look at, but good luck to everyone with the score release (or whenever they come out)! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with a local vet who went to Cornell for both UG and vet school, and she re-interested me in Cornell. I'm thinking about throwing in an application, but I don't think I'd get accepted. Are any of you familiar with Cornell?

Very familiar. Since I went to a New York high school, everyone and their mother applies, and a good amount get in. My best friend is going there for Computer Science this Fall.

Cornell has the stigma of 'the easiest Ivy to get into and the hardest to stay at', which is entirely true. It has the highest admission rate of all the Ivies, but also the highest attrition rate. This is due to the fact that they make their kids work ten times harder than anyone else's. Our tour guide said an average semester was equivalent to the work of about 15 AP classes. On the other hand, the average graduate school matriculant has a 3.4 and 88% get in (so that may be a plus for some).

I visited Cornell twice. It's an absolutely breathtaking school... Literally. It is the most beautiful campus I have visited (and I've visited over 15 schools). I can't describe in words how it is there, but once you go, you will be deadset on applying and enrolling. They have great majors, amazing facilities and a very 'open' style of learning. Besides the ILR and Engineering school, a student has almost total freedom of classes they take. Very loose requirements, which i liked.

On the other hand, students are extremely tense, competitive and not friendly. From the two times I was there, I felt that everyone I saw was a gunner. I visited a week or so before classes started, and the library was already packed with kids pre-studying for courses. Also, the 58k/yr tuition was definitely a con in my decision making as was the bitter and long winters I would have to endure.

tl;dr:

Pros:
-Good med school matriculation rates
-Flexibility (courses and majors)
-Wide variety of majors
-Beautiful campus/facilities
-Decent research opportunities
-High 'need met' (good need based scholarships)
-Greek life is good
-Free alcohol
-Apartments in Ithaca are cheap (but you need a 4x4 for the snow)

Cons:
-Gunnerville, USA
-High attrition rates
-Weather
-Price
-No med school or hospital on campus = less research than most schools
-Little to no merit based scholarships
-PRICE!!!!!!! (steadily rising at 5% increase per year)

From the tour, and two friends who already go there, all parties are free... They are usually hosted by the frats and sororities and alcohol is free. I'm not into the whole party scene, just listed it if anyone else is or is planning to hatch into a social butterfly during their college years :p

From the tour, and two friends who already go there, all parties are free... They are usually hosted by the frats and sororities and alcohol is free. I'm not into the whole party scene, just listed it if anyone else is or is planning to hatch into a social butterfly during their college years :p

Oh...that makes more sense than the "free samples" campus liquor store that came into my mind. :D

Didn't get my ACT scores today. :(

I have no idea as to why.

Didn't get my ACT scores today. :(

I have no idea as to why.

Did you not have your ticket/paper thing when you went to take the test? If you didn't, they use your SS number instead of ACT ID number and it takes longer for your scores to come.

Nope. Had my ticket and everything. Filled out all the info correctly, I checked probably 4 times.

Bummer :/ I have friends who didn't get theirs until a couple days after the first score posting date in Feb. Hang in there! :)

So I've been looking at scholarships and things, and came across the Intel Science and Engineering Fair. I looked through the website, and thought two things: This is a great opportunity for high school students who are interested in science and engineering, and why haven't I heard of this ever in my 3 years of High school?

I thought that it would be a great experience and that their would be a lot of people at my school that would be interested in such a project. So I'm talking to the science dept at our school to see if it would be possible to put a "team" together and enter the competition.

I was wondering if anyone else is going to participate in the event, or if anyone's school has ever mentioned the competition to them?

So I've been looking at scholarships and things, and came across the Intel Science and Engineering Fair. I looked through the website, and thought two things: This is a great opportunity for high school students who are interested in science and engineering, and why haven't I heard of this ever in my 3 years of High school?

I thought that it would be a great experience and that their would be a lot of people at my school that would be interested in such a project. So I'm talking to the science dept at our school to see if it would be possible to put a "team" together and enter the competition.

I was wondering if anyone else is going to participate in the event, or if anyone's school has ever mentioned the competition to them?

I'm pretty familiar, let me know if I can help you out...

Our school does this every year (only 7 seniors including myself for c/o 2011), along with Siemens Westinghouse among others. This is THE premier research competition for high school students. Most do research the summer before their senior year, work closely with their profs/mentors and write the paper during the end of the summer and beginning of the school year. ISEF = International Science & Engineering Fair, so to get there one must go through two regional qualifiers to be eligible to go.

Our regional, Long Island (LISEF), had a ton of applicants and one girl from our school made it to ISEF. Everyone except one student made it from LISEF Step 1 to LISEF Step 2. The ISEF nominee developed a bio-sensor for polio and a few other diseases and the paper is on it's way to getting published. She is going to Harvard to study physics and wants to do an MD/PhD in medical physics.

I was really lazy about my project (my mentor and PI made me their lab b*tch so I got none of my project done) so I ended up not entering and giving my spot to a junior who did marine bio research. I'm glad I did... After going to various other local fairs and presentations in our area and seeing the ISEF nominees, it was evident that these kids had some real deal projects and had been working on them for longer than one summer. Most of the ISEF people are going to top 10 schools, most to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, MIT and CalTech.

The program is pretty cool, but demands a ton of work and dedication along with a stellar research project. Also, the ISEF competition takes place in the beginning of May in California, so many students are forced to take some of their AP and IB exams while at the competition (ISEF has AP and IB proctors at their location to do so, so you don't have to worry about that).

Thanks, that helps a lot, as our school has NO information on ANYTHING. Honestly, I think that I'll make it my responsibility to get my school more involved with it's underclassmen. My first few years of HS I had no motivation to do anything because I didn't know about anything college related at all. It's really pissing me off that I had no idea how important EC's were until the second half of junior year, and I'm struggling to make it look like I gave a damn at all.

Also, instead of this ISEF thing, we have National History Day (which is incredibly boring in my opinion), where all AP History students are required to put together some crappy slideshow about obscure historical events two days before the competition in an attempt to make it look like we care about this class. To me, it makes a ton of sense to get a team of about five people that are really interested in science together at the end of Sophomore/junior year to come up with a project that they could collaborate on for the next 1/2 summers. Being an optional event, they only people that would sign up would be people who are genuinely interested in science and research, and provide them with a chance to work on a large scale project and compete in a competition that they actually want to attend.

Sorry, just venting, but seriously, my school really needs to change. Who knows? Maybe we would have more than 1/3 of our senior class going off to college this year if they knew more about it when they were younger.

Same sort of thing with my high school. I only knew of some college-related stuff through my own research, not through our guidance department. Extracurriculars were only mentioned by a teacher of mine. I didn't take it seriously, but fortunately I found some positions with local newspapers (my unpaid work experience counts as volunteering, what luck) and a media job with the local access channel. To be perfectly honest, I honestly can't think of anything that guidance has said that I haven't found online already.

GammaKnife, terrible luck with your National History Day (as a former APUSH student, I find it quite interesting :sleep:). No chance of getting an exemption through the school because of the science competition?

Haha, you're not alone Gamma Knife, my school is exactly the same! Only through internet research did I find everything out :(

At least you have a competition that your school hosts... We don't have any. Our counselors don't tell us any information other than keep your grades up and challenge yourself with Honors and AP classes... I didn't even know about the ELC and dual-enrollment programs at our school until this year (barely anyone else knew about them)! At least we now know to self research on the internet about the future...

Hey, guys. I thought I would make a thread in which the rising senior class can discuss their plans for the coming year and college. What are you taking? How are you doing? Where are you planning to apply or go? What profession(s) are you considering? What are some of your potential majors?

I'm considering applying to Tulane and two of my in states (Auburn and Alabama.) I'll probably go IS (because my family not having to contribute anything + no under grad debt = :) right?)
I'd like to major in biology or some related science, depending on what the school offers. Torn between going premed or prevet, so I've been shadowing this year to see what happens.

Congratulations! Let's keep up the good work and have fun!

Staying in state to stay debt free. My plans for senior year is to just sleep through, im soooo over high school. Doing bio or chem.

Same sort of thing with my high school. I only knew of some college-related stuff through my own research, not through our guidance department.
Next year I'm going to try to fix this at our school. I'm thinking either coming up with a mentoring program where seniors help the freshman, or just a reform of the orienteering process (maybe both?), and mentioning it to someone. It's kind of crap that High school, it's role being college preparation, doesn't tell you jack about college until senior year.

No chance of getting an exemption through the school because of the science competition?

Fortunately, I don't have any more history classes to take until college, but still, no chance because its a grade that no one takes seriously but everyone still gets a 90% + for participation, unless your project is 100% horse crap, in which case you get an 89%.

At least we now know to self research on the internet about the future...

I hear that it only gets worse in college with premed advisors and med school applications. Yay internet! :rolleyes:

Staying in state to stay debt free. My plans for senior year is to just sleep through, im soooo over high school. Doing bio or chem.

Welcome to the thread! High school blows, I'm so sick of it right now. I was thinking chem/physics/psychology. Nice MDapps by the way (about 3-4 years ahead of schedule though :D)

I confess: I had to call in and get my AP scores before my written report arrived.

AP US History: 5
AP English Language: 5
AP Biology: 5

Hooah!

Aiming for history or math major here. Not going to a UC school should be against the law if you're a resident! It's so cheap compared to OOS.

I confess: I had to call in and get my AP scores before my written report arrived.

Hooah!

Bah. Mine isn't released by phone for another hour. Don't you have to pay $8 if you go by phone?

Bah. Mine isn't released by phone for another hour. Don't you have to pay $8 if you go by phone?

Yep. It's an $8 fee per call; you can pay with a debit or credit card.
And they were all released at 12:00 EST. Yours are available.
I had mine at 11:00 CST.

It's so tempting to go and call now :scared: Must resist! Congrats on all 5's though. Hopefully my AP Bio will be good.

Hooah!

Nice job! my friend just got his AP calc score back got a 5 so hes really excited. I didn't take the APUSH test because our class is dual enrollment with a university, so I have credit that way. Taking AP chem next year, but I think that I'll take freshman chem either way to lighten the load during pledging. Unfortunately, our school doesn't have AP bio, but we do have AP English next year (18 page research paper minimum :eek:). Anyways, congrats to everyone that took the AP exams. :)

Hooah!

Impressive! Nice job... I'm too lazy to even call and get my Calc score. I doubt I even got a 4 (to place out) as by the second semester of senior year I just stopped doing anything school related.

When do they come in the mail? I'm heading on a week cruise this Sunday and kind of want my score before that. IBs come out on the 7th... I'll be in the middle of the Atlantic and end up paying the extremely expensive WiFi charge on the ship to get my scores then.

Impressive! Nice job... I'm too lazy to even call and get my Calc score. I doubt I even got a 4 (to place out) as by the second semester of senior year I just stopped doing anything school related.

When do they come in the mail? I'm heading on a week cruise this Sunday and kind of want my score before that. IBs come out on the 7th... I'll be in the middle of the Atlantic and end up paying the extremely expensive WiFi charge on the ship to get my scores then.

I remember reading that they're mailed out near the beginning of August. Not available online, however.

Finally got my ACT score. I got a composite score of 25 which I'm happy with for it being my first time seeing the ACT format and test. I got my PR and Dissecting the ACT books to study and go over for the test come fall. Hopefully I can get a 30 or so. :)

Finally got my ACT score. I got a composite score of 25 which I'm happy with for it being my first time seeing the ACT format and test. I got my PR and Dissecting the ACT books to study and go over for the test come fall. Hopefully I can get a 30 or so. :)

Congrats! The ACT can be a bit overwhelming at first. That's a great score for your first time. Just study hard and work on your time management for the next test. My biggest problem tends to be the math section. I filled the last 7-8 bubbles in the last 15 seconds of the test. Just figure out your weaknesses and work on those. I'm sure you'll do great next time. Also, if you're planning on applying EA to any school, the October ACT may be your last chance.

I plan on taking the earliest one possible. I think September? Then October SAT. Not certain though.

Good news! Just heard back from my retired Spanish teacher! She said she'd love to write me a LOR, she also told me to list where I'm going, what I want to do, future goals, etc.. She's been writing LOR's for 30+ years, and since she's retired, She only has to write one this year. I'm expecting a GREAT letter.

Good news! Just heard back from my retired Spanish teacher! She said she'd love to write me a LOR, she also told me to list where I'm going, what I want to do, future goals, etc.. She's been writing LOR's for 30+ years, and since she's retired, She only has to write one this year. I'm expecting a GREAT letter.

I'm getting one from my Latin teacher. I've had her for four years, and, simply put, she's one of the best teachers I've ever had.

In addition to this, I'm pretty sure I'll be working at the vet's office all next week, which I'm pretty stoked about. :love:

I'm getting one from my Latin teacher. I've had her for four years, and, simply put, she's one of the best teachers I've ever had.

In addition to this, I'm pretty sure I'll be working at the vet's office all next week, which I'm pretty stoked about. :love:

Did you like your Latin class? I know it's a dead language, but it sounds like an interesting thing to learn. I think that language classes have the best LORs because students usually have the same teacher for more than one year.

Are you considering vet med and med?

I was just wondering about the latter because I'm really good with animals (seriously, go find the most antisocial dog you can and it will like me, it's almost scary :scared::)), and I've honestly never considered it before. The main reason that I would be against VM is that I don't think I could handle putting a dog down/watching one die. I had to carry my dead dog who was just run over back to our house and almost lost it.

A bit off-topic, but I'm bored: What's your opinion on animal euthanasia?

Last edited:
That makes sense, and when you put it that way, it seems like a great way of peacefully putting a sick animal to rest, and it doesn't make sense to me why we don't use it on humans, because if you know a patient is going to die a horribly painful death, they don't get the luxury of going out peacefully. Death row victims get a peaceful euthanasia assisted death, while hard working, upstanding citizens have to suffer through the pains metastatic lung cancer or ALS.

However, I was kind of talking about euthanizing dogs/cats that don't get adopted at a shelter, although your answer was very detailed and interesting.

However, I was kind of talking about euthanizing dogs/cats that don't get adopted at a shelter, although your answer was very detailed and interesting.

The way I look at this issue is that, although it happens, you don't have to do it. In practice, you don't have to do convenience euthanasia if you don't want to (i.e. the owners can't pay for treatment, they don't want the animal, etc.)

Although they'd probably take the dog to another clinic, you don't have to deal with it if you don't want to -- or so I'm told.

I see, I did not no that. I sort of believed that it was some sort of necessary evil that must be done at one point or another in your life. I could never put down a healthy animal.