Human Cloning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/china/we-won-t-make-frankensteins-cloning-giant-boyalife-s-ceo-n480891

How long until the Chinese clone the first human? My hunch is that govt. will clone a human within the next 3 years. It will be a state secret but they will be cloning humans this decade.

Soon, a future Steve Jobs type will be able to be cloned by the Chinese and be a valuable asset to the State.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/dog-cloning-south-korea/

Cloning is going on right now. When will the Asians start cloning humans?

Cloning may be producing happy pet owners worldwide, but the technique is criticized by animal advocates and medical ethicists alike. Animal supporters point to the high price tag of cloning and question whether that money would be better spent supporting abandoned dogs in shelters, instead of producing designer dogs. Bioethicists also question the surgeries and other medical procedures inflicted on the dogs involved in the cloning process. The cloning process has a high failure rate with multiple attempts often needed to produce a single clone. These detractors, though, don’t deter per owners who want preserve their loving companions. The Duponts already are considering another clone of their beloved dog Melvin, this time the pup will be given to their grandson.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/dog-cloning-south-korea/#ixzz3vTSBoUHs
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

I would not be surprised if someone has already cloned a human. But will we hear about the first human clone in the next ten years? Probably. Maybe.

Members don't see this ad :)
cloning a person doesn't create the same person, fortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
cloning a person doesn't create the same person, fortunately.
Gives you a good baseline of genetics from which to build a person though. A clone of Arnold Schwarzenegger would be far more apt to make an ideal soldier than a clone of Steve Buscemi, while a clone of Steven Hawking certainly has the inborn potential to reach higher levels of scientific achievement than your average fast food bagger. Of course, there's a lot of variables in there, but I'm all sorts of mad scientist excited for someone to finally come out as cloning humans.

If they can clown cattle a human can be cloned. I think its the biodiversity that creates better then. I am more afraid of them handwriting a genetic genius ala Khan from Star Trek vice a clone of Arnold. A better question is do we have a social system setup to protect the rights of clones as human beings and not property of the original ala (whatever Liam nelson movie where humans were cloned for body parts, The Island)? I bet we have clones walking around our society to this day.

Gives you a good baseline of genetics from which to build a person though. A clone of Arnold Schwarzenegger would be far more apt to make an ideal soldier than a clone of Steve Buscemi, while a clone of Steven Hawking certainly has the inborn potential to reach higher levels of scientific achievement than your average fast food bagger. Of course, there's a lot of variables in there, but I'm all sorts of mad scientist excited for someone to finally come out as cloning humans.
Right, because if there's one thing China doesn't have enough of right now, it's people to turn into soldiers. :) What China really needs is a frighteningly expensive program to manufacture more people while pissing off the part of the world that thinks cloning is evil.

The notion that someone can clone Steve Jobs or Steven Hawking and get a genius who'll produce a great company or new physics is nuts. Do we clone the ALS into Steven Hawking Version 2.0 or do we fix it? What if it's the ALS that made him think so much? What if, absent the ALS, he spends all his time playing basketball at the park?

If we clone Steve Jobs, do we also need to clone Joseph Wilson and Chester Carlton so Steve Jobs Version 2.0 will have someone smart to steal ideas from?

This is silly. Nurture >>> nature. Success in anything is mostly environment.

When will the Asians start cloning humans?
How would we know? It's not like Americans can tell 'em apart right now!
8KoLIqh.jpg

Right, because if there's one thing China doesn't have enough of right now, it's people to turn into soldiers. :) What China really needs is a frighteningly expensive program to manufacture more people while pissing off the part of the world that thinks cloning is evil.

The notion that someone can clone Steve Jobs or Steven Hawking and get a genius who'll produce a great company or new physics is nuts. Do we clone the ALS into Steven Hawking Version 2.0 or do we fix it? What if it's the ALS that made him think so much? What if, absent the ALS, he spends all his time playing basketball at the park?

If we clone Steve Jobs, do we also need to clone Joseph Wilson and Chester Carlton so Steve Jobs Version 2.0 will have someone smart to steal ideas from?

This is silly. Nurture >>> nature. Success in anything is mostly environment.
Success is entirely dependent upon environment. Intelligence and strength, however, are highly heritable. Clone the right people, then provide them with the optimum environment in which to develop their talents. Steve Jobs is a rather poor analogy for this- he was smart, but not profoundly intelligent. His skill was rather in his design and marketing acumen. That is almost entirely environmentally dependant, I'd venture. China cloning people wouldn't be about such things though, they would do it simply because they could. Wealthy businessman loses his only son? Clone him for a few million, boom, there is your motive.

Reactions: 1 users
Success is entirely dependent upon environment. Intelligence and strength, however, are highly heritable.

Strength, sure. But strength is overrated, even for the military. Killing people and breaking things is all about technology, and the gear is built for normal people ... or small people (e.g. aircraft, ships).

IQ, that's debatable. Money spent cloning "smart" people would be more efficiently spent screening and nurturing the millions of not-clones born every day.

Clone the right people, then provide them with the optimum environment in which to develop their talents.

Of those two tasks, cloning isn't even close to the hard part.

China cloning people wouldn't be about such things though, they would do it simply because they could. Wealthy businessman loses his only son? Clone him for a few million, boom, there is your motive.

"Because it's there / because we can" is the best reason to do most things. :)

There are fewer hand wringers and pearl clutchers in China, so they've got that going for them.

I'm profoundly face blind; I can't tell anyone apart. :)

Truestory: I spent 7 months living in a dorm room while deployed to Afghanistan a few years ago. I had a roommate. One day about a month in, there's this strange dude in my room, I'm like, who the **** are you? And he goes "pgg who the hell do you think I am?" And I recognize his voice, and realize it was my roommate, and he just shaved his mustache that morning.

It takes me months to learn a new face, until that happens I rely on things like glasses, hair style, clothing style, voice. I'd be total crap as witness to a crime. :)

This is pretty good, but it does remind me about how often we interpret ignorance as racism. You're probably ignorant, NOT racist if: you can't tell people of a different ethnicity apart; you think their language sounds weird; you think they're universally good at something or bad at something; etc... If you interpret any of this stuff to generalize the inferiority or superiority of one group compared to others, than yes, you ARE racist.

Pgg
I have a friend who needs a date..... Shes a looker.....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 31
Pgg
I have a friend who needs a date..... Shes a looker.....
LOL

I can tell ugly from not-ugly from beautiful, and ugly person #1 from ugly person #2 (they tend to have memorable visual cues that I can sort out), and I can tell the beautiful blonde from the beautiful brunette (because the hair color is different), but people who look even vaguely alike might as well be identical twins.

It's nice that people in hospitals tend to wear name tags.

If you want to produce the next Einstein, you should probably just find 2 brilliant, young, PhD-holding astrophysicists (one male and one female), and have them do things the natural way. (Or, if they don't know how to do that, perhaps some veterinarian-overseen AI would be necessary...)

As nothing in genetics is guaranteed, repeat a couple dozen times (all around the world), and the probability that the next Einstein will be born within a couple years approaches 100%.

Realistically, cloning humans provides no conceivable benefit outside of proof-of-concept.

Genetic engineering of humans (ie. Einstein's DNA, plus these genes, minus those genes) has many more practical applications and is far more dangerous.