Human Genetics Text

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ObLaDi

Now back to the good part
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a textbook on human genetics for me? I'd like to get a good overview of the subject. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i know you asked this a while ago but since no one else responded... we use "iGenetics- a molecular approach" in our class and it's to the point and a fairly easy to read textbook. it costs somewhere around $160 but i'm sure you could find an older version for much cheaper on ebay

If you want an overview of a subject, there's absolutely no reason for you to get a textbook. Textbooks are dense, detailed, and definitely not just for an overview.

Best bet for an overview would be to search PubMed for a well-written review article regarding the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Genetic-Analysis-Problems-Approach/dp/052160365X/

There's only a few chapters I would recommend:

Mitosis, DNA/RNA, Mendelian genetics, pedigrees, overview of genetic mapping, and bacterial/viral mapping. The statistical stuff is unnecessary.

Each chapter is bullet points of high yield information plus some problems with solutions. I highly recommend it.

I'm assuming you had a little bit of genetics in your biology class.