Hydrocephalus: fixed pressure valves indications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Vilo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to look for informartion regarding fixed pressure valve indications. There are mainly low, middle and high fixed pressure valves. What are the indications for each one? I understand you need to know about the physiologyand dynamics of CSF. Please do not reply without any reference. I need scientic facts only.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Is Vancouver a suitable reference style for you my liege?[1]

1. Rigid DT. Do your own research. Neurosurgery 2015; 1(1): (accessed 14 December 2015).

Reactions: 1 user
http://www.bicakcilar.com/Upload/Pdf/Medtronic.pdf

Every patient has a csf pressure and flow rate that is ideal for them. The difficult thing is figuring out that pressure and flow before surgery, which is the major value of an adjustable pressure valve because you can try several options. My personal feeling is unless someone had an evd then the safest course of action is an adjustable valve and on the first revision you can switch to fixed pressure once you have found their ideal setting.

Members don't see this ad :)
A pubmed search would likely do you some good.

I'm a little lazy at the moment, but in my folder for papers I'm certain I have a review of the various programmable and fixed pressure valves and their, relative, indication.