Hydrocodone 5/325

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It all depends on which chain or hospital you work for and what your district manager or whatever your superior is called wants you to do. I've worked with pharmacists who don't care and I've worked for pharmacists who cancel the scripts and make you get a new one. IMHO Vicodin is just hydro/apap in a different strength and everyone knows the doctor just means Norco 5/325. I think it's kind of a hassle but I know that many pharmacists oftentimes call the doctor and clarify via phone.

I think the patient really loses in this situation - they are the ones who have to bite the bullet through pain.

Members don't see this ad.

You are INSANE. You probably drive doctors offices CRAZY. Talk about freaking doing things to the letter of the law.

How would that phone call to the doctors office go?

"Hi, I'm calling from pharmacy to speak to Dr. Roberts?. Hello doc. I see you wrote a script for John Doe for Vicodin 7.5/325. Vicodin doesn't come in 7.5/325.

Md: Of course it does. I dispense Hydrocodone and apap 7.5/325 all the time!!!

You: aha! But That is Norco. Not Vicodin. You see Doc, the Hydrocodone and apap in Norco and Vicodin are the exact same drug. But since Norco is 7.5 of Hydrocodone and Vicodin is not 7.5/325 but rather 7.5/300, I am afraid you have to re-write this prescription."

What a freaking waste of EVERYONES TIME. NO WONDER EVERYONE COMPLAINS ABOUT the lack of tech help. When you spend 15 minutes of your day doing this ****, you DESERVE TO BE SWAMPED WITH WORK.

I don't know anymore. Some of you RPhs give me migraines just READING what you do on a daily basis.

I work in a state where there was a specific FAQ created about this, and it blatantly said that you cannot sub without talking to the doc. So there's kinda no choice.

And no, the phone call is more like "Hey, vicodin doesn't come in that strength and since it's a C2, I have to ask before I can change it. Can I make it 300 instead of 325? Awesome thanks! Sorry for the trouble but I suppose rules are rules, have a nice day!"

But sure, yeah, I guess you could be more dramatic about it if you wanted with your all caps rage lol

Reactions: 1 user
Why not just document "as per md, the 325 mg refers to APAP" and get on with your day?

What do you think the 325 mg refers to though? Seroquel???

You guys must be doing like 25 scripts a day if you have time to do all of that

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't clarifying the 325 be essentially changing the drug? TSBP has told me that we cannot change the drug on a C2.

Wouldn't clarifying the 325 be essentially changing the drug? TSBP has told me that we cannot change the drug on a C2.

In certain states you can change the strength of a C2 after talking to the prescriber. You can't change the name of the drug. So if a doc writes, "vicodin 5/325" you can't change it to "norco 5/325" because that would be changing the drug name. You also can't sub "hydrocodone 5/325, because vicodin only comes in 5/300. So what you Can do, is call the doc and just get them to say ok to change it to "vicodin 5/300".

It's annoying, but it's a law and like I said, in my state it is Clearly laid out in black and white. So you don't really have a choice.

Why not just document "as per md, the 325 mg refers to APAP" and get on with your day?

What do you think the 325 mg refers to though? Seroquel???

You guys must be doing like 25 scripts a day if you have time to do all of that

Oh yeah, it totally refers to seroquel! Harhar, thanks for clarifying that for me! I'm glad we have such a smart guy here on the forums to give out such great answers!

If the doc writes Vicodin 5/325 you input norco 5/325 and that's it! DONE! Only on sdn...

If the doc writes Vicodin 5/325 you input norco 5/325 and that's it! DONE! Only on sdn...

Lol. Okay, you go do that! Everyone else: do what your state board tells you to :) 'Nuff said!

What's weird is vicodin 5/300 is triple the price of norco 5/325 and not covered by some insurances.

What's weird is vicodin 5/300 is triple the price of norco 5/325 and not covered by some insurances.
That's not weird. It makes perfect business sense. It's a horrible thing for a corporation to do, but basically status quo.

I work in a state where there was a specific FAQ created about this, and it blatantly said that you cannot sub without talking to the doc. So there's kinda no choice.

And no, the phone call is more like "Hey, vicodin doesn't come in that strength and since it's a C2, I have to ask before I can change it. Can I make it 300 instead of 325? Awesome thanks! Sorry for the trouble but I suppose rules are rules, have a nice day!"

But sure, yeah, I guess you could be more dramatic about it if you wanted with your all caps rage lol

Your state sees the same way California does.
For C2, California board allows changing name of med over the phone, fix omission, errors over the phone. The only 2 things we cannot touch are signature and date. The rest, if error, if wrong, if blank, if omitted, can be fixed over the phone. And I present the proof:

Reference: Official statement from California Board of Pharmacy, inside the document called The Script, issue of 07/11/2011, page 15, you will find and I also uploaded here for your quick reference:
Q. What does the pharmacist do upon receiving a Schedule II prescription on which the prescriber has omitted the quantity or has written the wrong strength?
A. Section 1716, Title 16 of the California Code of Regulations (CCR) prohibits the pharmacist from deviating from the requirements of a prescription except upon the prior consent of the prescriber. Further, section 1761 does not permit a pharmacist to compound or dispense any (emphasis added) prescription which contains any significant error, omission, irregularity, uncertainty, ambiguity or alteration. Upon receipt of such prescription, the pharmacist must contact the prescriber to obtain the information needed to validate the prescription.
#####################
My understanding of above language: If I get a script with any significant error, omission, irregularity, uncertainty, ambiguity or alteration, call prescriber, fix over the phone. No law forcing us to give back the paper and force patient to get new paper.

Q If a physician prescribes MS Contin 30mg qty 60 1 bid, can the pharmacist call the physician and request to change the prescription to Kadian 30mg qty 60 1 bid without requesting a new prescription? And if the physician authorizes this change over the phone and the pharmacist documents the conversation with the physician for this change on the original prescription, is all pharmacy law fulfilled?
A. The answer to both questions is yes. After you have discussed changing the prescription with the prescriber and received permission to do so, the change can be made on the prescription, and no new prescription is required. The Board recommends documenting the discussion with the prescriber,
including the receipt of consent, on the prescription. (CCR 1716 and B&PC 4073)

#####################
My understanding of above language: If I get a script with med name that I don't have in store and I need to change name of medication, call prescriber, fix over the phone. No law forcing us to give back the paper and force patient to get new paper.

Q. If there is an error or omission on a CII prescription, can the pharmacist call the prescriber to orally change or add the necessary information onto the prescription? Or does the pharmacist have to send the prescription back to the physician to make the necessary changes, or write a new prescription?
A. Title 16, CCR 1716 and 1761, relating to deviating from the requirements of a prescription and errors/omissions on a prescription, do not address whether to send the prescription back to the physician for a new prescription in such instances. They do, however, require the pharmacist to obtain prior consent of the physician before making any change to the prescription. The Board recommends that the pharmacist note the conversation with the physician on the back of the prescription, and enter the changes on the front as one possible method of documentation.

#####################
My understanding of above language: If I get a script with any significant error like VICODIN 5 /325 which does not exist, omission like no quantity, irregularity, uncertainty, ambiguity or alteration like someone circle refills of Norco to be 5, call prescriber, fix over the phone. No law forcing us to give back the paper and force patient to get new paper.

That's California.
Reference: Official statement from California Board of Pharmacy, inside the document called The Script, issue of 07/11/2011, page 15.

Any written DEA law that bans ''fixing C2 paper over the phone"? Thank you very much for your helpful thoughts.

Attachments

• 11_jul_script,p.15,C2, after talking to prescriber, pharmacist can fix paper then fill.pdf
    616 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
We got a script for Vicodin the other day with no strength. We told the patient to take it back and have him write the strength. An hour later the patient returns with a script that says Vicodin 10-325 lol

TSBP says that we cannot change the drug, date written, patient name, or doctor's signature. If a doctor writes for "Vicodin", we can call and get it clarified to "Vicodin 5/300" as an example. If a doctor writes for "Vicodin 5/325", we can only change to the 5/300.

TSBP says that we cannot change the drug, date written, patient name, or doctor's signature. If a doctor writes for "Vicodin", we can call and get it clarified to "Vicodin 5/300" as an example. If a doctor writes for "Vicodin 5/325", we can only change to the 5/300.
So you couldn't change to 7.5/300 or 10/300? Sure they didn't write ES or HP, but the majority of them don't. It's simply Vicodin 7.5 or Vicodin 10 .

NY lets us add or edit the strength, so best case scenario (other than the prescriber doing it correctly in the first place....) would be for the rx to just say Hydrocodone / APAP. We can clarify that to any of the strengths, brand or generic.

So you couldn't change to 7.5/300 or 10/300? Sure they didn't write ES or HP, but the majority of them don't. It's simply Vicodin 7.5 or Vicodin 10 .

It was an example.

I also saw someone wanting to call on an amoxil 500 mg tablet prescription because the doctor may have wanted amoxil 875 mg or augmentin because they are tablet form but capsules are 500mg.

???? Amoxil DOES come in both 500mg tablets & capsules, so why would the pharmacist have filled it as Amoxil 500mg tablets?

Doesn't matter. You are allowed to change the dosage form in consultation with the patient and informing the doctor later.

In what state? FDA does not consider different dosage forms bioequivalent, so they can not legally be changed without consulting with the physician....I mean, I suppose you might live in a state that doesn't go by the FDA, but I would be surprised. Some states are more stringent, I've never heard of a state that is more lenient.

you just write "capsules ok per prescriber" and move on with your day

The pharmacists I work for just input it as caps and move on. I got a script for oxycodone 5 mg caps and I just dispensed the tablets

We dispense whatever inhaler is covered. Living on the edge...

Texas c2 laws are a PITA. But to be fair, they were written when c2s were rarely prescribed outside a hospital.

The whole name/name/name business, while easy to remember, actually makes it harder to practice now that so many heavily prescribed drugs are c2s.