Hydroxyzine and QTc Pronlongation risk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfvgang22

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, the regulatory authorities in Europe have been a roll lately with drug recalls and new warnings. Now they are putting out warnings against Hydroxyzine. I hope the FDA dismisses these concerns, too, because I prescribe Hydroxyzine a lot in lieu of benzos. Of course, I use the lowest practical dose.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've lost count of how many times I've referenced this paper in my notes the past few months:

Hasnain M, Vieweg WVR: QTc interval prolongation and torsade de pointes associated with second-generation antipsychotics and antidepressants: a comprehensive review. CNS Drugs 2014; 28:887–920
There is little evidence that drug-associated QTc interval prolongation by itself is sufficient to predict TdP.

Reactions: 2 users
I've lost count of how many times I've referenced this paper in my notes the past few months:

Hasnain M, Vieweg WVR: QTc interval prolongation and torsade de pointes associated with second-generation antipsychotics and antidepressants: a comprehensive review. CNS Drugs 2014; 28:887–920

All that matters is when there is a bad outcome...

Reactions: 1 user