Hyperbaric medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scharnhorst

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a FP /geriatrics physician

I have been offered a position to train as a Hyperbaric /wound care physician

I wanted to know if anyone else had similar experience with it in the past ? esp those from a primary care background

Do you really need to be certified in ACLS, ATLS and able to put chest tubes/treat seizures if you want to be a HBO physician?

Members don't see this ad.

I rotated as a student with a hospitalist who did hyperbaric care. He would watch the person go into the chamber, get a call when they were coming out and listen to their chest and ears. I never had the impression that he would be able to place a chest tube or treat status epilepticus without calling for assistance. Mostly, it seemed like another way for this attending to pad his pocketbook.

So this hyperbaric chamber is in a critical access hospital
They are saying they that "I will be trained to teach those complications " and patient airlifted to another city if more serious complications happen

I have not worked inpatient for the last 5 yrs and never as an intensivist, I dont feel comfortable doing this unless there is backup from ER or ICU physician, at the very least hospitalist who can intubate/chest tube placement etc .

Do you guys think I m being too paranoid or over reacting ?

I mean screening for hyperbaric is easy and starting the treatment but isnt the physician also responsible if complications arise and if they cannot treat it then the hospital must guarentee backup ?