Hypothetical scramble question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alisepeep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you pick a very crappy program in a perfect location? this program does not have a great reputation but will let you become a physician and get a job while being located in your ideal geographic area...vs a great program but far away from where you wanna be...
which would you pic?

Members don't see this ad.

Far away great program to get the best training possible then move after 3-4 years to my desired location. You won't have much time in residency to appreciate the place anyway

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on how extreme the two places are. If they are more similar in location than they are reputation etc

Great program far away.

I definitely prioritized location a little bit and didn't apply to any places I absolutely didn't want to live, but if it came down to it I'd pick a "bad" location for a great program any day. It's only a few years and I want to get the best training possible.

Great program far away.

I definitely prioritized location a little bit and didn't apply to any places I absolutely didn't want to live, but if it came down to it I'd pick a "bad" location for a great program any day. It's only a few years and I want to get the best training possible.
I would generally have to agree with this. If you're talking 2/10 quality vs 8/10 quality, then the better place with worse location would win for me. A few years vs the rest of your career. However if it's more like 6/10 vs 8/10, then better location may be the winner.

You only have one chance at PGY-1. It is the year that you will learn most about medicine in your entire career. Make the most of it.