Hypothetical situation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xc_stallion92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got into the MD program at one of my top choices. I won't find out about the MD/PhD program for a while. I'm not too concerned about getting into a combined-degree program somewhere. With that being said, what would you do in a hypothetical situation where you got into an MD program, but not an MD/PhD program? Wait it out another year? Take a chance and apply internally as an M1?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take it and apply as MS1, or ask for one year deferral and reapply for MD/PhD at that single school, if you don't get in, then do the MD only. The year of deferral is requested only if you are rejected for MD/PhD this current cycle, and you should do research to improve your portfolio.

Reactions: 1 users
Take it and apply as MS1, or ask for one year deferral and reapply for MD/PhD at that single school, if you don't get in, then do the MD only. The year of deferral is requested only if you are rejected for MD/PhD this current cycle, and you should do research to improve your portfolio.

Oh, I hadn't thought about deferral. That's a really interesting idea. Thanks for the insight!