I accidentally become a nontraditional applicant on my way to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gridguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No real windup - what are my odds of getting into a US MD school?

The GPA highlights (cGPA and sGPA include contribution from my post-baccalaureate)
  • cGPA - 3.23
  • sGPA - 3.08
  • SMP GPA - 3.47 (Georgetown SMP)
I have taken the MCAT four times, most recently in July 2011
  • 2006 - 28 (10P, 10V, 8B)
  • 2007 - 31 (11P, 10V, 10B)
  • 2009 - 30 (12P, 7V, 11B)
  • 2011 - 38 (13P, 10V, 15B)
Possess what people on SDN would consider 'strong ECs'
  • Fellowship with the NIH, complete with multiple coauthored journals
  • A great deal of full time clinical experience
  • Meaningful medical and non-medical community service
  • Lot's of full time experience in the IT field
I have presently applied to 24 US MD programs, with the most reasonable schools (in my estimate) being...
  • Creighton University School of Medicine
  • Drexel University College of Medicine
  • Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
  • Saint Louis University School of Medicine
  • Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
  • New York Medical College
I have applied before, interviewed before, but never made it off my waitlists (Georgetown SMP and 2011 MCAT are new for this application cycle). That's about it. Let me know what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow great MCAT!

I don't really have much to say except that I can predict that people are going to point out that your SMP GPA is not that great. I am unsure of how this will look to adcoms

With the SMP and MCAT, you're bound to get an acceptance SOMEWHERE. You show some serious perseverance man.

Members don't see this ad :)
I def applaud the effort you have put in. But like sector said, that SMP GPA is not that great compared to other who have done this type of program. It redeems your undergrad GPAs, which were pretty low, a bit but not a much as adcoms may like. I assume the GPA fell as a result of B's in the med classes. Its good you applied broadly, but remember, Loyola averages your MCATs together so it won't be that nice 38 and I think creighton may be a slight reach. But besides that, it seems you have picked decent schools.

With the SMP and MCAT, you're bound to get an acceptance SOMEWHERE. You show some serious perseverance man.

I agree.

Don't forget the publications.

Sure, the SMP GPA isn't great, but on a straight 10% scale that's like an 83%, which is more than passing at most schools. I think the OP has a chance at most schools, especially state schools.