I am 2 weeks into my first year in dental school, ask me anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zammyd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember being in the same spot as you guys are now...worried about getting interviews, what school will actually be like, etc. Ask me anything and I'll try my best to answer it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
is there an advantage to interviewing early? and do school give out 2 to 3x acceptance over their target class size?

is there an advantage to interviewing early? and do school give out 2 to 3x acceptance over their target class size?

There is a definitely an advantage to interviewing earlier IMO. Some schools may give preference to earlier interviewed candidates when deciding december acceptances, and place others on hold for the next round of acceptances. Although, some schools may also go through multiple rounds of acceptance offers, so even if you're on the waitlist, you have a good chance of getting off it.

Members don't see this ad :)
what schools did you interview at? and what dental school are you currently attending?

what schools did you interview at? and what dental school are you currently attending?

Interviewed at MWU-AZ, UDM, and Pitt....got into the three and chose Pitt!

Reactions: 2 users
What classes are you guys taking?

Interviewed at MWU-AZ, UDM, and Pitt....got into the three and chose Pitt!

Hey Zammyd,

Thank you for making this AMA!

A few questions:

1. Why did you choose Pitt over MWU-AZ and UDM?
2. How are you liking your time at Pitt?
3. How are the faculty at Pitt?
4. Is it a lecture or PBL curriculum?
5. If lecture, are lectures recorded?

Thank you so much!

Did you takes classes like anatomy and neurobiology before you got accepted?

What classes are you guys taking?

Right now we have histology, embryology, professionalism in dent, evidence-based dentistry, cell biology, microbiology, dental anatomy, and dental anatomy lab...its quite a bit haha.

Hey Zammyd,

Thank you for making this AMA!

A few questions:

1. Why did you choose Pitt over MWU-AZ and UDM?
2. How are you liking your time at Pitt?
3. How are the faculty at Pitt?
4. Is it a lecture or PBL curriculum?
5. If lecture, are lectures recorded?

Thank you so much!

1. I liked MWU-AZ the best, but it was wayyyyyy too expensive. UDM was also more expensive than Pitt, and I didn't like Detroit, the UDM building, and even some of the other students I met at the UDM interview. At Pitt, everything was very professional, well organized, and the students I met seemed of a higher "calibre".
2/3. Pitt is pretty great. It's a great city to live in, and pretty cheap. Staff and other students are also overall pretty good. There are like 1 or 2 faculty I've met who have a bit of seniority complex, but the rest of them are very nice and easy going. Our class constantly helps each other out with stuff, and we all get along so far. Our class also seems very smart and studious, I haven't met one person yet who doesn't seem like they know what they are doing.
4. Lecture = most lectures so far are about 2 hrs long, can get pretty brutal and hard to stay focused. But our lectures are mostly recorded!
5. Yes, most class lectures are recorded and slides are posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Definitely feel the same about classes right now. There is a lot to keep track of. How's dental anatomy going?

Definitely feel the same about classes right now. There is a lot to keep track of. How's dental anatomy going?

Dental anatomy is dental anatomy hahah...not the most fun.. but to be honest it's not as bad as some people say. I never the knew there were so many aspects to teeth, and its kind of remarkable how many features can be unique to people.

How soon after completing your application did you receive an interview from Pitt?
I sent out my application mid october (very late), got an interview early Novemeber

Favorite tooth?
So far the maxillary central incisor, only cause my wax-up of that tooth came out so good haha. My bench instructor still told me 10 things wrong with it, but I think it looked beautiful :p

Reactions: 2 users
So far the maxillary central incisor, only cause my wax-up of that tooth came out so good haha. My bench instructor still told me 10 things wrong with it, but I think it looked beautiful :p
Eight or Nine??

Has your class' "That kid" emerged yet? Or is everybody pretty humble about what they know and willing to help each other out in a non-snobby way.

Pssh it's all about the maxillary canine (what we're currently working on).

Last edited:
Eight or Nine??

Has your class' "That kid" emerged yet? Or is everybody pretty humble about what they know and willing to help each other out in a non-snobby way.
8!

We have a ton of extremely smart and talented people in our class. Despite this, there is no "that kid", and no sobby-ness in our class. We all respect each other and get along pretty well!

We all help each other out all the time :)

Very interesting to see how Pitt 2020 turned out. They were my 2nd choice! Loved my interview experience.