I am an ebay power seller, should I put it into my resume?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fxok425

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will it look too crazy?
I am actually doing so many things at the same time: work full time in architectural firm, work in pharmacy in weekend, take classes in CC, and I was a power seller for 4 years (I just stopped it last week since I am taking two summer classes). I love buying and selling on Ebay and make a little bit extra money. (really not much)
What I learned on selling on Ebay is I provided great customer service. I learned how to deal with bad customers. I am much more patient now. But does it look too crazy?

Members don't see this ad.

forgot to mention: I sell cosmetics on eBay. And I do want to have my own pharmacy in the future with a collection of natural cosmetics in the store. I don't know if I should put the eBay experience into my resume as an work experience or e.c. I won't mention this in my P.S. since it's long enough already, but I will welcome to discuss my eBay experience in the interview if I get an interview.
My concern is I am a so non-traditional student, from architecture to pharmacy. it already looked very crazy. Will the additional stuff hurt?

Members don't see this ad :)
Will it look too crazy?
I am actually doing so many things at the same time: work full time in architectural firm, work in pharmacy in weekend, take classes in CC, and I was a power seller for 4 years (I just stopped it last week since I am taking two summer classes). I love buying and selling on Ebay and make a little bit extra money. (really not much)
What I learned on selling on Ebay is I provided great customer service. I learned how to deal with bad customers. I am much more patient now. But does it look too crazy?

I would defintely mention it. It makes you unique and that's really what schools are looking for!

Haha. Why not... I put on my app. that I am certified in supervising asbestos removal projects (which I am), because its just weird. Every person that interviewed me had a kick about it.

Will it look too crazy?

Might as well. List it as a job. Or a hobby? Hmmmm....

I included my blog on my application. I was also thinking about including that I am an active member of these forums. I would put anything that has been important to you.

Will it look too crazy?

I would list it. Ebay is awesome, I used to be an active seller too! :)

power seller!? thats pretty hardcore isn't it? I'm sure it eats up a lot of time, thus include it!

I included my blog on my application. I was also thinking about including that I am an active member of these forums. I would put anything that has been important to you.

I would NOT do that if I were you. I think it can come off as highly juvenile. The ebay thing I can see, because its like...a job. But sitting online and making posts is NOT appropriate for a resume or application.

I would not list the power seller as a stand-alone line item on an application. Without being able to mention the things learned from it, it sounds like you're reaching/desperate. Granted with your explanation, the experience seems useful, but without it, it sound very cheesy/unprofessional. (Granted this is my own personal opinion and apparently contrary to the rest of the users so far.) As for listing the forums, I'd also go against it. I mentioned being a moderator at my interview, but only because they seemed to be digging for more extracurricular/leadership experience and it's all I could come up with at the time. I wouldn't have done it had there been ANYTHING else.

I wouldn't put powerseller as not all admissions people are ebay customers. Just say you have your own "small online business" through ebay and link that to determination or something along those lines.

I agree with Farmer's post. It makes sense. Not to disrespect the idea or anything, but I laughed when I read the thread title. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If anything you can spin it not as an ebay powerseller but write it as an online commerce/marketing type hobby as not everyone will know what an ebay powerseller is

Will it look too crazy?

I am a Ebay powerseller too. I sell authentic Louis Vuitton bags and other designer products etc. I am also a member of my poupette. I would mention if I were you. I did. :thumbup:

You should definitely mention it. And dont forget to mention what you gained from the experience. If for nothing else I'm pretty sure it would lighten up the interview a little bit.

I am a Ebay powerseller too. I sell authentic Louis Vuitton bags and other designer products etc. I am also a member of my poupette. I would mention if I were you. I did. :thumbup:

Thanks for everyone's reply!

Oh> You sell LV Bags? What's your link? I am very interested in.

Mention it! It will help you stand out, and make you more well-rounded when it comes to the adcoms looking at applicants..

Personally, I came across this same dilemma when doing my application. Twice in my life I had been considered a professional video game player; once when I was 13-15 and again in my early 20's for a short time. Long story short, in the big scheme of things, neither the OP original career nor mine had enough of an impact to impress an adcom anymore that just saying, 'oh wow, they did <insert random fact here>.' For the worse, maybe that little random fact will actually make them think less of you. I suggest play it safe and leave it out, but you are the best judge of you and your application. Mull things over and make the choice that is best for you.

I would not list the power seller as a stand-alone line item on an application. Without being able to mention the things learned from it, it sounds like you're reaching/desperate. Granted with your explanation, the experience seems useful, but without it, it sound very cheesy/unprofessional. (Granted this is my own personal opinion and apparently contrary to the rest of the users so far.) As for listing the forums, I'd also go against it. I mentioned being a moderator at my interview, but only because they seemed to be digging for more extracurricular/leadership experience and it's all I could come up with at the time. I wouldn't have done it had there been ANYTHING else.

I agree...but if you *must* include it on your app, rename it to something else....like if this power seller thing is done with the name of a business you have....just put "Owner, Blahblah Business"

The blogging could be listed as a hobby if you even have such a section, but only if your blogging includes topics which interviewers would consider substantive (i.e. not Hollywood gossip or the latest news regarding your favorite sports team). Also, only list it if you are comfortable with anyone seeing this blog.

To be honest, both the blog and the forums seem very "desperate" and I wouldn't see it as helpful much. In fact, I'd see these as worse than the a "professional video gamer" and if that person got negative responses, I can only imagine you might get worse.

Who knows, maybe I'm totally wrong, and those admission committees dig these. But it's really not impressive being an active member on a forum - heck, you can just spam the hell out of the forum and still be considered an "active" (maybe soon to be banned) member.

And your blog is very lacking. I don't see what's impressive about it at all. Maybe in a year or two if you keep up with it, it will turn into something much more helpful, but at this point, it's more of a dear diary that you started not even a month ago, with a few vaguely helpful tips at the end of it. I am certainly not putting that I have a diary, online or in paper, on my application, and I fail to see why you would. Not to mention, it doesn't have anything yet! It just seems like such a desperate ploy, you trying to get an extra extracurricular on your application.

I could go join 50 new organizations this month and write them all down on my application but the start date being May or June is going to raise some eyebrows.

The ebay seller could be worth putting on, depending on you spin it on your application. if you only mention it for making a profit or whatnot, then it might not help much, but like others said, say what you learned from it. it also helps that it took you a while to become a powerseller so it's not something you decided to do on a whim. at the very least, it shows persistance until you succeed.

I might include it in a personal statement or something of the sort, however I would NOT include it in your resume. As stated above, it comes across as desperate and filler. I've done quite a bit of hiring in the past and it's easy to tell who just puts random filler crap in their resumes and who actually has accomplishments. On a resume, it just looks stupid. However, in a personal statement you'll be able to elaborate on it and show that it really does have meaning and is not just "filler." Also, by listing it on your resume, you're considering it a job/career and I seriously doubt you pay taxes on your sold stuff. If the IRS ever decided to audit you (not likely as a student, but still...), you'd owe back taxes on every auction you ever listed. Just an FYI.

I could go join 50 new organizations this month and write them all down on my application but the start date being May or June is going to raise some eyebrows.

I don't totally get what you mean by this...could you clarify? Do you mean it would look weird to cram all your volunteer/extracirricular work into just one summer? It would be better to spread it out?

I don't totally get what you mean by this...could you clarify? Do you mean it would look weird to cram all your volunteer/extracirricular work into just one summer? It would be better to spread it out?

Essentially, Izzy is making the quality over quantity argument here, and I agree with him.

2 or 3 organizations with a position of leadership and long-term membership vs. 10+ organizations with just your name on a piece of paper and nothing to show for it.

Length of membership also demonstrates sincerity to the cause, whatever cause it is you're contributing to.

Basically, if you don't do anything for three years and then all the sudden right before you apply you join a bunch of organizations and stuff, then it kinda looks like you're just padding your application. It doesn't show real leadership or committment.

Essentially, Izzy is making the quality over quantity argument here, and I agree with him.

2 or 3 organizations with a position of leadership and long-term membership vs. 10+ organizations with just your name on a piece of paper and nothing to show for it.

Length of membership also demonstrates sincerity to the cause, whatever cause it is you're contributing to.

It comes out during interview too. We had a few people who would mention they were with XYZ organization, but when asked what they did it was, "I went to meetings, and helped out at events." That doesn't really show leadership. The ones that stood out organized events, generally new or beneficial ones that showed either a benefit to the school or public. So a name on a paper may help get you to an interview, but genuine participation and leadership is what impresses the interviewer.(at least when I do them)

Will it look too crazy?
It does look crazy. Go find a volunteer position.

Basically, if you don't do anything for three years and then all the sudden right before you apply you join a bunch of organizations and stuff, then it kinda looks like you're just padding your application. It doesn't show real leadership or committment.

Yeah, exactly what the two quotes said is what I meant.

And I'm a girl. :laugh:

As I think about it, the power seller thing is a great thing to talk about in your personal statement and especially in your interviews. I like the idea of calling it a small business on your app/resume.

Will it look too crazy?

despite what some people have been saying, I think it is a GREAT idea to list this on your application. and as some have suggested, list it as a small online business. The fact that it is somewhat nontraditional makes you stand out. And since it is business, it will apply to retail pharmacy. And you plan to use this experience to open up your own natural makeup/pharmacy anyways. And make sure to define what a "powerseller" is since not everyone knows what it takes to be a powerseller.

I'll second revealing this but I would also call it an online small business selling natural cosmetics. It's not a lie - that's what it is. There are still an overwhelming amount of people who associate eBay with junk. Don't let the business's stigma infiltrate the positives it can bring on your application.