I Am Become Stupid, Derpifier of Worlds....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MetalloBetalactamase

vaxn8 ya dammt kids dammt!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One word friends, Neuroanatomy. Or as I like to call it taking a two hour make-or-break test with 550 mLs urine in a 150 mL bladder.

image.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Totally wanted to quit medical school because of neuro. The only thing that saved me was the pathology portion. Totally LOVE pathology

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Neuro is a tough course. I'm in the thick of it right now. The amount of material is unreal.

Totally wanted to quit medical school because of neuro. The only thing that saved me was the pathology portion. Totally LOVE pathology
Opposites here. Want to quit medical school because of pathology. Only thing saving me is Neuro.

Reactions: 3 users
Neuro was a beast for my class...most of us, while finding it interesting, had fits with the tracts and minutiae of the entire thing.
Good luck. It gets better

You know what's worse than a 2 hour neuro test? A four hour neuro test like I had yesterday.

Reactions: 1 users
Neuro was a beast for my class...most of us, while finding it interesting, had fits with the tracts and minutiae of the entire thing.
Good luck. It gets better
Ya, I remember sitting in class everyday feeling like the professors where speaking some alien tongue. Have no idea what they were saying. I think going into the final at least 80 people out of 250 were failing the course. Lets just say the curve was ridiculous.

One word friends, Neuroanatomy. Or as I like to call it taking a two hour make-or-break test with 550 mLs urine in a 150 mL bladder.

View attachment 190950
Neuro was my hardest course in the preclinical curriculum, largely because of neuroanatomy. Hang in there. At my school, if you can survive Neuro, you're very likely to survive all of second year as well. And you really don't want to remediate it.

Neuro was my hardest course in the preclinical curriculum, largely because of neuroanatomy. Hang in there. At my school, if you can survive Neuro, you're very likely to survive all of second year as well. And you really don't want to remediate it.
Music to my ears!

I am so barely right now.... Thanks!

Last edited:
I have classmates with undergraduate degrees in Neuroscience. They still had a hard time with Neuroanatomy 1st year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder what % of med students who were neuroscience majors end up becoming neurologists?

I might of got a degree in neuroscience if I could do it all over again.

O, yeah, Neurology is kinda cool too ;)

:uhno: Dang, may I ask which book did/are you guys use/using for neuro?

if it's any consolation to you, I barely passed neuroanatomy with literally 2 points to spare.

if it's any consolation to you, I barely passed neuroanatomy with literally 2 points to spare.
Yes, I am consoled a bit. I thought Gross was a vast sucking black hole that ate all of my time, including cleaning, cooking, pooping, and social. Neuro is after my daily four hour nap too.

Last edited:
Haines. Haines as far the eye can see. No one I know uses the book cause ain't no one got time for that blah, blah, blah. I have BRS and usually only do relevant questions. I look at the Haines atlas if I'm lucky, I passed this last test by redrawing and combining all of the ppt info into summaries and tables. I did get Draw It To Know It.

My big whine here is self inflicted damage. I chug a Monstor every day as prep for school, I chugged one test day but absolutely blew the timing. I may have a blow out on my left kidney ;) I need to Monstor up 30 mins sooner than I did next this next test, I did this last test before the caffeine peaked, but after the liquid hit the old Loop of Henle(s).

Last edited:
Haines. Haines as far the eye can see. No one I know uses the book cause ain't no one got time for that blah, blah, blah. I have BRS and usually only do relevant questions. I look at the Haines atlas if I'm lucky, I passed this last test by redrawing and combining all of the ppt info into summaries and tables. I did get Draw It To Know It.

My big whine here is self inflicted damage. I chug a Monstor every day as prep for school, I chugged one test day but absolutely blew the timing. I may have a blow out on my left kidney ;) I need to Monstor up 30 mins sooner than I did next this next test, I did this last test before the caffeine peaked, but after the liquid hit the old Loop of Henle(s).
Looks like you share the Monster with the cat in your avatar...

Reactions: 1 user
We use the blumenfeld neuro through clinical cases book.

Neuroscience sucks. Hard.

I'm going to be that guy and say neuro was good times for me.

Well crap. This is what I get to look forward to in a few weeks. I better stop my bitching about pharm.

Well crap. This is what I get to look forward to in a few weeks. I better stop my bitching about pharm.

At my school, pharma is not a separate course. For every system we do, we also cover the pharm corresponding to that system. Therefore, you can only imagine how of a nightmare to have to know the anatomy, the physiology, the pathology, and the pharm simultaneously. My second exam is on Monday, and we will have about 50 different drugs to know for it. Keep in mind, that pharm was only 5/40 lectures, so this should give you a very good idea about the volume of material that is covered on the test.

Well, compared to the nightmare of a gross anatomy course that proceeded it, I guess it wasn't that bad...

I agree. GA was the worst course ever. I don't know why. Maybe because it was the very first course we had in school.

Siegel and Sapru Essential Neuroscience, they used Haines last year. Labs are in a powerpoint. Ours is lumped into our Gross Anatomy grade, with Neurophysiology on the same exam, broken out with Physiology grades.

Apparently, I had my light bulb moment yesterday for all the material we were supposed to know for this past Monday's exam. The dumb, I haz it.

At my school, pharma is not a separate course. For every system we do, we also cover the pharm corresponding to that system. Therefore, you can only imagine how of a nightmare to have to know the anatomy, the physiology, the pathology, and the pharm simultaneously. My second exam is on Monday, and we will have about 50 different drugs to know for it. Keep in mind, that pharm was only 5/40 lectures, so this should give you a very good idea about the volume of material that is covered on the test.

We have pharm integrated into systems courses second year as well. But this semester (2nd of MS1) we have a dedicated pharm course. For our first block we had about 20-25 drugs per lecture...

This is how SOMA's entire curriculum is structured. There are no separate courses (except for OPP, Medical Skills, and Epidemiology/Biostatistics in 2nd year).

But Pharm, Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, Clinical Science, Embryology, Genetics, Immunology, Pathology etc etc etc, it's all taught simultaneously and in context of whichever particular organ system we're covering that block. The exams are like mini-boards, which is probably why USMLE/COMLEX didn't seem so bad.

I actually really liked it that way.

But the Neuro-block was pretty horrible. I wouldn't say it was the worst, that honor probably goes to Renal IMO, even though I thought Renal was fascinating, it was definitely a pretty heavy work load to get on top of it.

Just wait til they cross section the spinal cord, lay out the various levels, stick a pin in one, hand you a magnifying glass and as what spinal level the tagged specimen is in? As far as suck profs, we had a PhD course director who couldn't pronounce bruits even when coached. He got called out at an exam review by a neurologist reviewing a question who stated the information was not used in a clinical setting and the question must have been written by someone testing your ability to remember minutiae rather than testing anything of clinical significance....

Last edited:
DCOM has an awesome neuroanatomy professor. I thought it was one of the easier classes.

Exxxxxcellent.

I liked him when we had head and neck for gross anatomy, but I've heard he's even better for neuro. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Check out this video. It really tied things together for me in neuro. I didn't even have to study neuro for boards because this video stuck with me:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=sZkoVb3gN4emNpSOgcgL&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQjgsQ5G8ug&ved=0CBwQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNFfDdoiaZ8df2wFGvEmZ5TRu2epkQ
First years - don't worry if you don't understand this yet. By the time you finish neuro you'll realize how basic of an explanation this is. E=2R.

Last edited:
In neuro right now. I'm finding it pretty boring. I liked micro/immuno stuff more. I don't like anatomy /neuroanatomy. Maybe it will get more interesting now that the tracks are over.

In neuro right now. I'm finding it pretty boring. I liked micro/immuno stuff more. I don't like anatomy /neuroanatomy. Maybe it will get more interesting now that the tracks are over.
Tracts?

I share your opinion. I like cell bio/micro/biochem much more than anatomy. The parts of neuro that I enjoy mostly are the physiology and the pharmacology, not so much the anatomy or the clinical concepts.

I share your opinion. I like cell bio/micro/biochem much more than anatomy. The parts of neuro that I enjoy mostly are the physiology and the pharmacology, not so much the anatomy or the clinical concepts.
Yea I always loved the physiology aspects. I even like pharm better than just straight anatomy. Anatomy is like "oh.. Great.. There something is.. And it will stay put forever "

The only reason I passed this course was there were 8 exams. Pathology being the last exam. We had Dr. Frienlander (pathguy.com) come lecture. He is crazy awesome and I loved path. Knew it would be my saving grace. The curve was crazy because I think over 100 people were failing going into the final.

I knew that if I could get a 50% on the first exam I would able to pass overall in the end (got a 54% and was so super happy - you don't even know) Got a 100% on the path portion (all the questions were from Dr. Friendlander's GRIPE series) so overall I passed with an 88%. Can't tell you to this day anything about neuro except the path portion. Just an overall hateful waste of a person's life IMO. Cardiology was second on my hate scale.

Just had our first neuro exam. It wasn't that bad, at least I gave myself plenty of cushion for the next one.
Still getting reamed by physio tho :(

Neuro is a systems course at my school, but unlike all other systems, we do it 1st year. I like the actual brain stuff a whole lot better than anything to do with the spinal cord. A LOT of people ( including myself) are not doing too hot in this course. Funny, because the course load is way less than last term.. I think it's because you have to really think AND memorize, whereas you usually just memorize

I was lulled into a false sense of security and bitchslapped. Goddammit.