MD I am frustrated! AGAIN!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope_aim_06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I really don't know what to do anymore. Here is my life story.

I came to Canada from Bangladesh when I was 14, I did my high school in Toronto and with a 96% average I got into University of Toronto - this school pretty much ruined my life. I did horrible during first two years of my undergrad, then finally started picking up my grades during 3rd year. I have one "F" in a physiology course, which I retook it after. I think after 5 years, I had had enough and I decided to graduate without an honors degree, so I only have a BSc, not Honors BSc. By the end, my science GPA is around 1.9 and overall cGPA is around 1.7. I have taken all the medical school required courses, from english to chemistry, pretty much everything every school might require. Not to mention, I did two of the hardest majors at U of T: Neuroscience and Cell & Molecular Biology. While being in my last year of U of T, I started looking for options. I din't want to go to Caribbean or Ireland, because of the costs and also, I was not quiet sure, if I would be able to come back to USA or Canada. So I contacted many deans of many schools (in person and through emails), most of them suggested to do a Master's degree, so that, I can show that I can do better at higher level courses. So I took a year off, worked as an admin at a clinic, and while working I did my GRE and applied for Master's degree. I din't apply to Canadian Master's program, because of my low cGPA, I knew I would not get in. Finally I got into an MS program in Biology at Purdue University, Indiana, USA. This is my last semester, and I have a cGPA of 3.3. I did MCAT this July and got 484, which is super low, I know. I had classes and research so I couldn't invest enough time for MCAT. However, I am retaking it in a day.

Now I am back to square 1, I don't know where I should apply. What are my chances of being successful? etc etc. My first preference is Saskatchewan, Canada, because that's where my PR is. Other than that any schools in USA will be great. I don't want to go to Caribbean's still, but wouldn't completely eliminate that option. I am applying everywhere regardless. However, I am so not confident. I just want to be somehow selected for an interview. because I know I can do amazing at interviews.

This is a LONG post, I know. But any advice/ suggestions/ list of schools, that will be easier for me to get in - will be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
3.3/484 sounds uncompetitive for pretty much all US MD/DO. Your MCAT is at the 8th percentile of all test takers.

Best of luck on the retake- what are you doing differently this time?

I feel really bad saying this, but I am not sure you would even get into one of the big 4 Caribbean schools. The only US school you MIGHT(but probably not) have a shot at is LECOM because apparently they are letting people apply without MCAT scores. Even then I have to imagine you would have to be an amazing candidate in every other category. And your undergrad GPAs are way below average. Your master's GPA isnt impressive either.

IMO your only shot is retaking all your undergrad classes to bring the GPA above 3 at least, and then murder the MCAT and apply DO only.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, I would recommend you either find a different career path or acquire a PhD and go into teaching/research.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel really bad saying this, but I am not sure you would even get into one of the big 4 Caribbean schools.

Getting into a Caribbean school (including the "Big 4") is easy for anyone, as long you can write a tuition check and have a pulse ;)

Sorry OP, your chances of getting into any medical school in US and Canada are zero. Look for another career.

There is a much more important issue than how you should go about getting into any med school. As it currently stands there is very little evidence that you could handle med school. It's great that you found success in high school, but high school =/= university. Maybe it's different in the US, but in Canada classes in a research Masters are always marked very easily because the focus should be on your research, not whether you get a C or A- in some course.

Yes U of T has a reputation for being tougher than some other schools, but not so tough that a science student who is even close to prepared for med school would get UNDER a 2.0 (for US posters, Canada's GPA system is very different, and getting an average in the low 60s is really, really, really terrible). Your MCAT score also supports the notion that you really struggle with science courses, on top of critical analysis issues.

I don't relish being so negative, but if you went to a Caribbean school your academic history tells the story of someone who would be instantly demolished and kicked out. DO NOT DO THIS.

If you really want to prove, both to yourself and to medical schools, that you would be able to handle it, do another undergrad in Canada outside of Ontario. In the US your cGPA will contain every terrible mark you've gotten, but a lot of schools in Canada will only look at your most recent degree, or most recent X years. Take another science degree in a non-Ontario province that has a school with one of these policies. That way if you DO end up getting the 3.8+ you need in Canada, you'll have a very strong chance of getting in. If you get horrible marks again, this should tell you that you have to give up on medicine.

Sorry but this is really the only way I see this happening. It's way too risky to go international when you haven't had any success with undergrad science or the MCAT.

Last edited:
There is a much more important issue than how you should go about getting into any med school. As it currently stands there is very little evidence that you could handle med school. It's great that you found success in high school, but high school =/= university. Maybe it's different in the US, but in Canada classes in a research Masters are always marked very easily because the focus should be on your research, not whether you get a C or A- in some course.

Yes U of T has a reputation for being tougher than some other schools, but not so tough that a science student who is even close to prepared for med school would get UNDER a 2.0 (for US posters, Canada's GPA system is very different, and getting an average in the low 60s is really, really, really terrible). Your MCAT score also supports the notion that you really struggle with science courses, on top of critical analysis issues.

I don't relish being so negative, but if you went to a Caribbean school your academic history tells the story of someone who would be instantly demolished and kicked out. DO NOT DO THIS.

If you really want to prove, both to yourself and to medical schools, that you would be able to handle it, do another undergrad in Canada outside of Ontario. In the US your cGPA will contain every terrible mark you've gotten, but a lot of schools in Canada will only look at your most recent degree, or most recent X years. Take another science degree in a non-Ontario province that has a school with one of these policies. That way if you DO end up getting the 3.8+ you need in Canada, you'll have a very strong chance of getting in. If you get horrible marks again, this should tell you that you have to give up on medicine.

Sorry but this is really the only way I see this happening. It's way too risky to go international when you haven't had any success with undergrad science or the MCAT.
He's going to just waste his time again when he's already wasted so much. He's had multiple chances and hasnt proved himself, what makes him think this time will be any different?

I don't mean to rag on you, but if you got 484 on the MCAT despite have a master's degree, it is time to consider other options.

He's going to just waste his time again when he's already wasted so much. He's had multiple chances and hasnt proved himself what makes him think this time will be any different?

Yeah I agree that it would definitely be in the OP's best interest to find a new career path now. I was just suggesting an alternative to going to a Caribbean school if she absolutely refuses to give up. I feel like someone who is still this desperate even after so much of a struggle is the type of person who will fruitlessly go to the Caribbean and waste the same amount of time with 10x more debt. Trying undergrad one last time in Canada (or even the first 1-2 years of one) is a much better last ditch effort option.

Reactions: 1 users
So you have these stats:
MCAT-484=about a 15 on the old test
usGPA=1.9
ucGPA=1.7
gGPA=3.3

ECs-who knows???

You have no chance at any med school. If you really do apply it will be an exercise in futility. No person with any real understanding of the application process would even consider applying or asking for advice/list of schools. I frankly don't know how you got into Purdue. You need to get some career counseling before you waste any more time and money.

Why is it that so many people who do poorly on the MCAT rush to take it again within a few weeks or months? You're digging yourself into a deeper hole.

Reactions: 2 users
I think after 5 years, I had had enough and I decided to graduate without an honors degree, so I only have a BSc, not Honors BSc. By the end, my science GPA is around 1.9 and overall cGPA is around 1.7. I have taken all the medical school required courses, from english to chemistry, pretty much everything every school might require. Not to mention, I did two of the hardest majors at U of T: Neuroscience and Cell & Molecular Biology.

Oh don't worry I think the rigor of your major should make up for your GPA

Exactly this... going to the UofT doesn't excuse you from doing poorly in school ever.

He needs something like a fresh start program and do another undergrad + kill the MCAT. Otherwise you need to rethink your career.

@hope_aim_06 - I might differ slightly from the other posters but only slightly.

Take some time off from science. Some time = years, possibly a decade if not longer. Do something else for that time. Start volunteering for what you love to do. Have a life, see the world.

If in like 10 years, you still have the passion and desire, see if you can figure out what is wrong with your science classes. Is it something you just don't get? Don't have the capacity for? Don't ... love? Then you'll know at that point. If you find out you have some other learning disability, by then, without the pressure of a premed path, you'll know that too and how to overcome while retaking all the pre-reqs.

Right now, everyone is correct. You will never get into medical school in the US (MD or DO) or Carib. If you go international (Italy, Guam, Philippines) it is almost impossible to come back to the US for residency.

It probably seems daunting and sad. And for now, it is. Maybe in 10, 15, 20 years it won't be. Best of luck to you!!