I am good to go for 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rushrhees

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
here is my breakdown

Good, 31Q MCAT
Bad, LORs will be mostly community college from bostbac work
Ugly. 2.9 Cum and Science GPA

Been volunteering at an ER for 9 months, trying to lock down a podiatrist to shadow. Other info 29 now, been working in R&D at a chemical company since college.

Am I good to apply for 2013, or should I do more postbac at 4 year college, or even an SMP somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratz on you MCAT score, its a very impressive score. Also don't worry too much about the LOR they won't look too into them and your GPA is fine. I know of people with lower GPAs and MCAT scores and they got into a couple of pod schools. With your MCAT score, most school will be drooling over your app. You'll get in all the school I believe and you'll get some nice money out of it too

here is my breakdown

Good, 31Q MCAT
Bad, LORs will be mostly community college from bostbac work
Ugly. 2.9 Cum and Science GPA

Been volunteering at an ER for 9 months, trying to lock down a podiatrist to shadow. Other info 29 now, been working in R&D at a chemical company since college.

Am I good to apply for 2013, or should I do more postbac at 4 year college, or even an SMP somewhere.

When did you take your MCAT? Is it recent? Is it safe to assume that your GPA is over 5 years old?

If you GPA is from back when you were 21, and you just pulled a 31Q, no one will care about your GPA nearly 10 years ago.

If the GPA is recent, and the MCAT is recent, you'll still be good to go. However, if your MCAT is also from when you were 21, they will most likely make you retake it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of my GPA is from '01.~20hours of post bac starting begining of 2011, MCAT was from March 2012.

Last edited:
Great MCAT score, congratulations. If you don't mind letting us know, which study materials did you use to get that high score??

Kaplan mostly, other sources are wiki premed sells good flash cards that I bought. I got the exam krackers 101 verbal passages book off Craig's list ( it is harder than AAMC, but good) there are these books on bit torrent sites.
Couple of tips, keep flash cards on you at all times. If you are waiting in line or on the bus or wherever you can study.
Read some obscure stuff on the Internet ( wiki premed has links to obscure reading) and read articles that interest you the least and try to dissect the arguments.
Finally take tons of practice tests. Those passages are not all that hard at the end of the day, they are designed to just mess with you. If you take enough tests you will start to see through the BS in the passage. You would be surprised the amount of passages that can be answered without reading it. The last big thing is keep a routine schedule to study. I stopped going to the bar on Friday nights to study and then be in shape to take a full lenght sat morning. Is it fun, no, but if you do not keep consistency it will be hard to get that score up.
Pm me if you want to continue this conversation more.

Excellent advice, consistency is the key.....Thanks a lot!......I will pm you if I have additional questions in the near future....

I would apply as early as possible and you really shouldn't have any problem getting your pick of schools. Practice interviewing and be prepared to discuss your underwhelming gpa and why podiatry is your career of choice. Other than that, don't act like a creep and you should get in for sure.

I am the same age, got nearly the same MCAT score and the same gpa.

I applied in December and got interviews to all 9 schools, interviewed and accepted into 4. Was offered a scholarship at 1 school.

Hope that helps.

ocpm will likely offer you a first year non renewable10k scholarship based solely on your 30+ mcat score.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using SDN Mobile

ocpm will likely offer you a first year non renewable10k scholarship based solely on your 30+ mcat score.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using SDN Mobile

I wonder of their admissions stuff will change (like scholarships) now that they are KSUCPM....

I am the same age, got nearly the same MCAT score and the same gpa.

I applied in December and got interviews to all 9 schools, interviewed and accepted into 4. Was offered a scholarship at 1 school.

Hope that helps.
Good to know, gives more encouragement. Every bit helps.

Excellent advice, consistency is the key......
I was saying in a PM to another that between working, postbac and studying, you have to find time and that often involves canceling on social or other fun events. It sucks doing it, but just a little can go a long way. You do not have to seal your self off from the world, but be prepared to turn down going out with friends or other things if it starts to dig into study time.

Last edited: