I am in a CC with a low GPA and have been in the states for 2 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

POTUS1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am new to this website and would like any feedback. I have been in a CC for the last 2 years and have a low cGPA 3.23. I have been in the states for a little more than two years. My first semester was a lot harder than I thought it would be. My adviser didn't help me as much. I was on my own pretty much and took my prereqs and basically ended up with a C in Biology, B's in both my General chemistry classes . I honestly had a tough time adjusting with everything being foreign too (I am from South Africa btw) , coupled with culture shock. All this was and is done by a CC. This semester I am taking Calc-based physics and I will definitely be getting a B. My question is that should I drop this physics class and take it once I transfer, because a B will give me a much lower sGPA, and I can't take the chance. If I do end up keeping this B that means I will be taking the 2nd part next semester. Do I still have a chance of raising that GPA as I haven't taken a lot of prerqes? And I have recently began volunteering at a hospital and work in retail. I wanted to take EMT classes, however I have been told it is not a good idea because of my faith, I am a Muslim girl. Once I transfer next fall I will be majoring in Anthropology as I have taken a course and ended up loving it.

Note: I am willing to work really hard to get into med school as this has always been my dream.
Any feedback is welcomed

Thanks in advance!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Have you spoken with your advisor about the timeline of your transfer? Will your current gpa be enough to go to the school you want to go to?
Also, are you a permanent resident?

What do you mean by the timeline of my transfer? I have been speaking with my new advisor and it seems after this summer would be the right time to start a new school, even though I will not be earning my A.A. Yes I checked to the State school I will be transferring to and the minimum GPA required to transfer is a 2.0. I am a permanent resident

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by the timeline of my transfer? I have been speaking with my new advisor and it seems after this summer would be the right time to start a new school, even though I will not be earning my A.A. Yes I checked to the State school I will be transferring to and the minimum GPA required to transfer is a 2.0. I am a permanent resident
Great! Seriously work on your GPA and set up a studying routine that works for you. When you transfer classes should be significantly harder so watch out for that.
Don't do too many ECs until you are hitting 3.7+.

Thank You! Do you think it's possible to raise my GPA that high? I will be in the sate school for the next 3 years, so should I just Drop the physics class this semester in hopes of saving my GPA? a B will bring me closer to a 3.0 and that will hurt my chances of considering an MD school.

Thank You! Do you think it's possible to raise my GPA that high? I will be in the sate school for the next 3 years, so should I just Drop the physics class this semester in hopes of saving my GPA? a B will bring me closer to a 3.0 and that will hurt my chances of considering an MD school.
I meant 3.7+ each semester. Whether or not you can lift up your overall that high is up to you.

Drop the physics class this semester if you want, but do keep in mind that at the state school it will probably be significantly harder. What happens from now on and your potential future in medicine depens on you and your performance.

B in physics isn't bad, I don't see why you have to drop it. Just keep working hard when you transfer to obtain a strong GPA.

Shoot for a 3.5+. Everything is on you. B in physics isn't bad..

Thank you all for the replies! I have decided I will drop Physics this semester as to not jeopardize my already low GPA. I will retake the upper level course once I transfer to a University. This time however, I will work by butt off and start on a clean slate. :)

Reactions: 1 user