I am new here. Please read my story and give me some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicnicinc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my own business to manage and I am going to college at the same time. Therefore, I am not doing so well in college. My plan was to graduate in biology. Now I want to go futher, optometry is my ultimate goal. What should I do? Try to bring up the GPA to 3.o or transfer to other college to obtain a higher GPA? Or anyother options? Please help me.

Members don't see this ad.

nicnicinc said:
I have my own business to manage and I am going to college at the same time. Therefore, I am not doing so well in college. My plan was to graduate in biology. Now I want to go futher, optometry is my ultimate goal. What should I do? Try to bring up the GPA to 3.o or transfer to other college to obtain a higher GPA? Or anyother options? Please help me.

How low is your GPA?

consider chiro or phys assist. - im not saying this to nock them, but entrance requirements are easier. if youre really set on optometry, make sure you know what optometry actually is. dont plan on having alot of respect in the medical community. dont plan on doing surgery either. not to deter you, but just some warnings. you could put alot less effort into some other degrees and end up making more money and more respect.

Members don't see this ad :)
...Maybe he is just thinking about running a optometric business, given his background.

stompy said:
How low is your GPA?

I feel shame. My GPA is only 2.4. Maybe you guys think I am make a joke of being an optometrist with this kind of GPA. But someone told me it is never too late to do something serious. I have to get my OD degree no matter how much it takes. However, I will a little lose now. I need some advice. I only want to work for myself. It is more flexible and I can have more control on the business. I am afraid of blood. So, I want to do no surgery. Optometry fits my the best. I am not a greedy person. I already have what I want, but a professional degree. If you were me, what would you do(except to give up)? I would be very thankful for any reply.

drgregory said:
consider chiro or phys assist. you could put alot less effort into some other degrees and end up making more money and more respect.

So are you saying that Chiro's or PA's have more respect that OD's. Chiro's certainly don't. PA's may have more respect in the medical community... but not to the general public.

As for the orginal poster... a GPA is below the minimum requirerments needed to get in at most OD schools.... (the exception would be Puerto Rico). If you are seriously considering OD school... you need to get your GPA to 3.0 for a fighting chance... coupled with a good OAT score.

Re-take your pre-reqs if you have C's or below. Also try and take other adavnced sciences coursed to boost your GPA. Study hard for the OAT and make sure you get excellent letter of recs from OD's.

Hines302 said:
So are you saying that Chiro's or PA's have more respect that OD's. Chiro's certainly don't. PA's may have more respect in the medical community... but not to the general public.

As for the orginal poster... a GPA is below the minimum requirerments needed to get in at most OD schools.... (the exception would be Puerto Rico). If you are seriously considering OD school... you need to get your GPA to 3.0 for a fighting chance... coupled with a good OAT score.

Re-take your pre-reqs if you have C's or below. Also try and take other adavnced sciences coursed to boost your GPA. Study hard for the OAT and make sure you get excellent letter of recs from OD's.

I am really appreciated for your kindly opinions. I am taking a advance bio course and a research course. I realize that I need at least a 3.0, but should I transfer to a different college? I think I can start a new GPA acculmation in way. Would you agree?

nicnicinc said:
I am really appreciated for your kindly opinions. I am taking a advance bio course and a research course. I realize that I need at least a 3.0, but should I transfer to a different college? I think I can start a new GPA acculmation in way. Would you agree?

opt school will still see your grades from your old school and take them into account when calculating your gpa

nicnicinc said:

It's not going to wipe out your old GPA. Each school calculates GPA seperately but they report ALL of your transcripts. Some will replace a bad grade with a new grade on a re-taken class.. some average bad grades with retakes. It totally depends on the school. But, starting over is NOT going to erase your current GPA

Someone said I should retake those science course with C or below. I think that is a good idea. Now, my question is should I retake classes in my college or transfer to the new one? What other options do have(except giving up)?

I'd say stay in your current college, assuming it's a 4-year college. REtaking courses at a easier junior college makes it look bad, I'd think.

nicnicinc said:
Someone said I should retake those science course with C or below. I think that is a good idea. Now, my question is should I retake classes in my college or transfer to the new one? What other options do have(except giving up)?

I'm going to reiterate my advice to talk to an admissions person at at least one optometry school that you are interested in. You don't even need to live nearby. I travelled 1000 miles for my meeting and made a vacation out of it the summer before I applied to optometry school. They will tell you if they think you should transfer to another school. What classes they think you should repeat, etc. Don't stress out! You will need to work hard but your hard work should be directed toward what is going to help you the most - that's what the admission people will tell you - what is going to help the most. If you can't go to the school set up a time where you can speak with someone over the phone. It may help them to have a copy of your transcript though.

I would agree with Matt. To be on the safe side talk with the school

Thank you x 100. I start to feel a little more positive now.

It is never too late to do something that you desire to do, so I suggest you to take/retake some of the courses that help you become more competitive (academically wise). In addition, try to take some other upper division courses that optometry schools would teach again (such as anatomy, physiology, neuro...), and also study really really hard for OAT so that it can make up for your low GPA. Don't feel discouraged with your current GPA, and don't underestimate the power of your strong determination of become an optometrist! I feel that if you do have the determination, you can eventually get what you want. Good luck!

aarlan said:
What type of business?

AA
I have 2 shoes store and 1 family base computer store. I work 8 days a week(including school). I think I deserve for what I have now. However, money is not my ultimate desire. I want to have a doctor degree, but I am afraid of blood. This is one of the reason I choose optometry. I usually don't tell people or friends I am a boss. I lost friends when they know I am so much ahead of them. Therefore, I lie to people that I work part time in a shoes store. Even in my shops, I only pretence I am a little worker. Isn't it funny that people usually lie about themselves when they chat on line, but I am totally opposite. I do not have many friends because I feel bad to lie to them. I feel better now, I finally find a way to spread out myself.

Rachelwu58 said:
It is never too late to do something that you desire to do, so I suggest you to take/retake some of the courses that help you become more competitive (academically wise). In addition, try to take some other upper division courses that optometry schools would teach again (such as anatomy, physiology, neuro...), and also study really really hard for OAT so that it can make up for your low GPA. Don't feel discouraged with your current GPA, and don't underestimate the power of your strong determination of become an optometrist! I feel that if you do have the determination, you can eventually get what you want. Good luck!

Thank you for your kindly opinion. As some people suggested, I will go to SUNY on monday to talk to the counselor. I wishI will meet some one nice and helpful. Coz many faculty are not as friendly as you guys here.

I have spoken to the school. They suggested me to take post-bac program.

nicnicinc said:
I have spoken to the school. They suggested me to take post-bac program.

What's involved in that?