I am not afreaid to admit...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erg923

Regional Clinical Officer, Centene Corporation
Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a break from the serious bickering about psychology, I thought all the regulars (and not so regualrs too, of course) could share a bit about ourselves by disclosing something that either shaped them into who they are today OR reflects a bit about themselves and what they were like when they were younger? I'll start.
I am not afraid to admit....Every. Sunday. Night.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I was obsessed with this show. Especially since it used to be filmed at my old elementary school in BK.

I'll also add that I am currently obsessed with Korean tv dramas. If its on Netflix or Hulu I've watched it. So much so, that I have several basic Koreans phrases down.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a geek, played AD&D throughout high school. Also a jock though, played football, wrestled, threw discus in track, played volleyball in college. As long as we're on TV shows though, I'm a fan of Supernatural.

Reactions: 2 users
I watched Gilmore Girls until the series finale. Now I watch Switched at Birth, which is another teenager show. Netflix must think I am adolescent girl.

I am going to second Ghostwriter (loved Jamal), Dawson's Creek, and Gilmore Girls. I basically wanted to be Rory Gilmore in high school. I'll also add this one...

Reactions: 1 user
I was the same age as the characters in Dawsons Creek.
I grew up in a forested suburb
I had a platonic relationship with the neighbor girl that evolved into an "off and on" long-term romance for many years.
Also obsessed with movies as a teenager.

There was always something very pure about that show that I like to this very day.

Last edited:
*EDIT* I'm not afraid to admit my interests in the shows below, but they didn't 'shape me'...I would have to give credit (to forming intrigue and empathy through character development) to Gone with the Wind and Sixteen Candles (circa 1984). If Scarlet O'Hara and Samantha Baker, could make it through the worst of times and the best, and still hold their heads high...so could I. :)(BTW: I've probably seen Gone with the Wind and Sixteen Candles about 500x each since childhood - we had VCR tapes of both.)

I love all Tatoo shows (like Bad Ink, Ink Master, Tatoo Nightmares, Tatoos After Dark), despite not having any ink on myself...anywhere. My husband has one tatoo, though so I'm not such a poser.

I also love the Challenge shows on Food Network (like Cake Challenge or Cupcake Wars).

And I am a forever fan of Breaking Bad, and now House of Cards (as I wait in peril for the Season 3 in Spring 2015).

There's something to say about the immediate gratification of seeing the finished product after 30-55 min that you just don't feel with say, ummm....a preliminary dissertation data set collection.

Last edited:
I LOVE mixed martial arts, and have watched it for years. My two favorite fighters of all time are Fedor Emelianenko:
fedor_emelianenko.jpg

And Randy Couture:
mma_e_couture_576.jpg

I was born near the end of the 80s and was pretty much a 90s kid, so...

And this one, which I still love to this day:

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought Dr. Quinn only existed on my grammys TV?

As a kid, yeah. I tried to rewatch it (there's a channel that airs reruns now) and it didn't really take.

When I was a bit older, I was also (and still am) heavily into this show.

Plus I literally grew up with the Simpsons and can quote pretty much every episode from the first ten seasons. But I don't think that's particularly unique.

I was born near the end of the 80s and was pretty much a 90s kid, so...

And this one, which I still love to this day:

Cara, I will most def " open up my morning light and say a little prayer for right" in your case....lol

Martial arts/combat sports, spirituality, culture, and music. I was a military brat as a child (now enlisted), so I traveled quite a bit. I am only 26, but these four things are still a big part of my life. Should I reach my educational goals, I do want to incorporate most of them or acknowledge them in others.
I don't play video games on a consistent basis anymore (even though I just bought Reaper of Souls :p), but some of the characters epitomize what I hope to be.

To show my nerd side:
333px-Monk-concept1.jpg

Martial artist, healer, spiritualist, balanced individual. Basically who I want to be in life. lol

Criminal Minds, Gossip Girl and 7th Heaven :cool:

Amazing thread that brings our dynamic personalities to the forefront.

I love Dawson's Creek (own the box set). It never ceases to amaze me how that show captures teenage angst and emotion.

I was, and still am a huge MMA and kickboxing fan. Rivi - Fedor is THE GREATEST of all time. I was involved in boxing throughout high school and undergrad. I found it to be a great resource for stress relief.

pokemon and sailor moon. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else watch Wrestlemania last night?

I geeked out when I heard that they are making a re-imagined BSG movie.

B.D. Wong from Law and Order: SVU may or may not have partially influenced my decision to study psychology.

BSG, Queer as Folk (it made me want to be a better gay :p...jk), Lord of the Rings/ The Hobbit, social documentaries, lots of symphonic, opera and ballet (formed my professional musician side of me way back when), video games, international cuisine, liberal news outlets and lastly, my husband who really helped facilitate my transition from classical music and the discovery that I was capable of learning other academic material.

I'm an opera and musical theatre geek, but I think most of you knew that.

There was a point in my life where I spent a great deal of time reflecting on the meaning of Babylon 5 and the universe that JMS (and many unequally credited others) created.

I'm a musical theatre geek too! I also have a continued absurd fondness for YA fiction (and some on the younger-than-teen side) and silly teen shows/movies. My husband doesn't really understand my love for Pretty Little Liars, but at least he DOES understand my love for Can't Hardly Wait and Teen Witch.

Ahhhhhhh, Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......

I'm a musical theatre geek too! I also have a continued absurd fondness for YA fiction (and some on the younger-than-teen side) and silly teen shows/movies. My husband doesn't really understand my love for Pretty Little Liars, but at least he DOES understand my love for Can't Hardly Wait and Teen Witch.

you funky, emotregulation!

Interesting thread, I'll play along. As far as media goes, Star Wars has had the longest, most profound influence on my life philosophy.

Learning. Teaching. Helping. Love. Spirituality. Struggle. Trust. Unknown. Adventure. Wisdom. Elders.

I was born in the mid 70's, raised by a single mom, and didn't meet my bio dad until my late 20's. I've also been blessed to have spent time in more than 20 countries on 4 continents and lived outside the US for nearly 5 years.

Some of my favorite Yoda quotes:

“A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.”
“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.”
“Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter.”
“Do. Or do not. There is no try.”

I'm not afraid to admit that My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic got me through internship year. Yep, way way better than it has any right to be.

Lots of people are talkin on here about TV... but what about music?!?!

I have always loved almost all kinds of music, but as a teenager....

We dont want no scrubs, ClinPsychEnthus.

Ill bite on that. In high school, I was primarily a punk/indie soccer player type (well, as "punk" as you can be in all boys Roman Catholic high school), but I do recall that this song was constantly on in the background during Senior spring break in Panama city, FL. I have always been fond of this song but never would have admitted it back then, as it was generally viewed as "pop crap" that I would just assume throw through a window. And yes, this is the same person who watched Dawsons Creek every Sunday night. Ah, the angst of youth...

Last edited:
Ill bite on that. In high school, I was primarily a punk/indie soccer player type (well, as "punk" as you can be in all boys Roman Catholic high school), but I do recall that this song was constantly on in the background during Senior spring break in Panama city, FL. I have always been fond of this song but never would have admitted it back then, as it was generally viewed as "pop crap" that I would just assume throw through a window. And yes, this is the same person who watched Dawsons Creek every Sunday night. Ah, the angst of youth...

I remember seeing them in a small concert when they opened for some other act (I think) during my freshman year of undergrad. They played maybe two or three other songs, and none of them sounded anything like Slide (for better or worse).

As for my high school experience, this song got quite a bit of play during my senior year...

I almost linked "Pony" by Ginuwine instead, which was basically the de facto theme song of one of our homecoming dances, but figured this was a bit more work-friendly.

I remember seeing them in a small concert when they opened for some other act (I think) during my freshman year of undergrad. They played maybe two or three other songs, and none of them sounded anything like Slide (for better or worse).

As for my high school experience, this song got quite a bit of play during my senior year...

I almost linked "Pony" by Ginuwine instead, which was basically the de facto theme song of one of our homecoming dances, but figured this was a bit more work-friendly.

I LOVED "The boy is mine" so much!! Haha This thread has become my favorite.

I recently learned "slide" is about abortion.

I'm into Uncle Grandpa. Came in handy during a recent child clinical interview, too!