I am really tired of Pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throzen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am an immigrant, so forgive me for my English.

I just found out that I got my third B in biology class. I got As in both of the first two test and I thought I was doing great. I did work hard and tried to teach myself everything, even when my professor was horrible. I don't know what else to do. What is the point of studying hard and trying to do everything you can, when at the end it turns out to be pointless. One of my classmates from the bio class, did not study for anything and got Bs ( by cheating) in both of the test, but he also got B grade for the course. Now my GPA fell from 3.5+ to 3.4. I am just tired so much of all these nonsense. I was going to apply to medical school this summer, but I think it is pointless to apply with this low GPA.

I am thinking of changing my major to Pre-PA or CS. I don't think I can take any more of the disappointments and Medical school is going to be even harder and unfair.

Members don't see this ad.

Hm. Your 3.4 GPA coupled with your international status will in fact make it very difficult to get into a US medical school.

Before i go on further, we need more information. How are your ECs? How did you do on your MCAT? What is your sGPA?

EDIT: I'm sorry OP but be honest with us. Did you give up on medical school or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends... Are you just venting, looking for validation to switch career paths, or looking for encouragement?

Reactions: 1 user
B's in several classes isn't going to make or break your application. The context - tough school, family issues, etc. - also matters. Race also matters - look at average GPAs/MCATs of matriculants by race. The difference between a 3.4 and a 3.5 is not that big. But you are right in that medical school will be harder and you have to be able to accept not being perfect. Many pre-meds have the mindset that they have to ace every exam and just be perfect in every way to get into med school that they start to forget about themselves and what they really want. So think about it and do what it is you really want, not what other people tell you to.

Hello, I am an immigrant, so forgive me for my English.

I just found out that I got my third B in biology class. I got As in both of the first two test and I thought I was doing great. I did work hard and tried to teach myself everything, even when my professor was horrible. I don't know what else to do. What is the point of studying hard and trying to do everything you can, when at the end it turns out to be pointless. One of my classmates from the bio class, did not study for anything and got Bs ( by cheating) in both of the test, but he also got B grade for the course. Now my GPA fell from 3.5+ to 3.4. I am just tired so much of all these nonsense. I was going to apply to medical school this summer, but I think it is pointless to apply with this low GPA.

I am thinking of changing my major to Pre-PA or CS. I don't think I can take any more of the disappointments and Medical school is going to be even harder and unfair.

Honestly, that's just life. Life will have its disappointments, regardless of whether you decide to pursue medicine or not. But "failures" aren't always a bad thing. Sometimes these "failures" push us towards pursuing a more suitable path. Other times, these "failures" serve as opportunities for us to better ourselves.

If medicine is really your calling, stop complaining and start thinking about how you can improve your GPA. If you need time to work on it, take a gap year to do so. I'm not sure what you need to be competitive for DO schools, but definitely look into those programs. However, if you feel like medicine isn't worth all the trouble, then maybe it isn't the right path for you.