I am terrible at math and chemistry, do I have any future in any medical field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UghMyLife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a sophomore in college and I'm currently taking calculus and general chemistry. I have ALWAYS been terrible at math and my only prior knowledge of chemistry is from high school, and from what I remember it was by far my worst science (beating out physics by a long shot). Its been only one week since classes started and I have been greatly struggling in both subjects, and from what I understand, these subjects are necessary for any major related in the medical field? I attend tutoring everyday and I never retain any knowledge. I have absolutely no idea what goes on in either of those classes :oops: and I struggle to complete even the simplest problems. I also find both classes EXTREMELY boring and its quite discouraging that I seem to not be capable of the level of thinking that is required. I have not taken biology yet so I don't know how I am at it.

Should I consider a change of future careers? I mean, what well paying careers ARE available without math skills to begin with. I really just want to help people and I always felt that health was the most important thing in the world. Sorry if this question is a bit too broad for this forum.

I heard about physicians assistant, is that too far of a goal if I'm doing this poorly already?

Members don't see this ad.

"Practice, the master of all things."

Keep supplemental books, such as Calculus for Dummies or Chemistry Demystified. They also have workbooks for you to practice as well.

Ever consider a career in health business or management? It just sounds like science isn't your cup of tea. If you feel like you;re not only struggling but losing interest this badly from the start, I can't even begin to imagine how you're going to feel when the MCAT rolls around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I took Calc I and II in high school so I don't really remember much and definitely don't know how it's like in college, but my gf said she loved calc in college so much more than in high school since it was taught better.

However, I don't really remember ever using calc on the mcat or ever again really. If anything it's just to teach you more abstract and critical thinking skills.

Gen chem... talk to your TA, or tutoring. If someone is good at teaching, then you will do better. You need a decent grasp of the basics to really understand the later stuff.

Then again, you are in college. Think hard about what you want. Then put all your effort into it. If you really want to do medicine, it only gets harder so buckle up.

Hello everyone,

I'm a sophomore in college and I'm currently taking calculus and general chemistry. I have ALWAYS been terrible at math and my only prior knowledge of chemistry is from high school, and from what I remember it was by far my worst science (beating out physics by a long shot). Its been only one week since classes started and I have been greatly struggling in both subjects, and from what I understand, these subjects are necessary for any major related in the medical field? I attend tutoring everyday and I never retain any knowledge. I have absolutely no idea what goes on in either of those classes :oops: and I struggle to complete even the simplest problems. I also find both classes EXTREMELY boring and its quite discouraging that I seem to not be capable of the level of thinking that is required. I have not taken biology yet so I don't know how I am at it.

Should I consider a change of future careers? I mean, what well paying careers ARE available without math skills to begin with. I really just want to help people and I always felt that health was the most important thing in the world. Sorry if this question is a bit too broad for this forum.

I heard about physicians assistant, is that too far of a goal if I'm doing this poorly already?

I don't think you're bad in math and chemistry. You can improve in these subjects by using khanacademy or similar websites. Try Pauls Online Math Notes for math improving. I can't think of a site for chemistry, but you could always buy some review books for math and chemistry.

We all feel we're bad in some subject, but we need to build confidence and be sure we could master them. Practice is a way to go. Don't give up on medicine just because of your fear of doing badly. Think you'll overcome the challenges and do well.

OP says hes bad at math and chemistry, and that he was way better at physics than chemistry....

Not sure if srs...

Ever consider a career in health business or management? It just sounds like science isn't your cup of tea. If you feel like you;re not only struggling but losing interest this badly from the start, I can't even begin to imagine how you're going to feel when the MCAT rolls around.

I wouldn't recommend that if he's bad at math...

On a serious note OP, just keep practicing over and over until you get it. Justin Verlander wasn't born with the skill to throw a perfect four-seam fastball; he worked his ass off to master it through repetitive practice.