I am trying to find a Verbal tutor, any leads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bartzx3

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would prefer it over online. Anyone had a good experience?

I tried to incorporate the things I read on SDN but it isn't helping to improve my score. I think a tutor may help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man! I don't think there's a better person than Jack Westin to teach you not just verbal, but MCAT strategy itself. I've used Jack's services for some time now and it's been really helpful in everything from learning how to master verbal passages to understanding how the AAMC writes questions. Out of everyone, he's the best and you won't go wrong by picking him.

Hey man! I don't think there's a better person than Jack Westin to teach you not just verbal, but MCAT strategy itself. I've used Jack's services for some time now and it's been really helpful in everything from learning how to master verbal passages to understanding how the AAMC writes questions. Out of everyone, he's the best and you won't go wrong by picking him.

You seem to always posts stuff in support of jack Westin. That dude charges crazy amounts for his services. Perhaps so he can pay people like you do spam SDN. Screw off.

Reactions: 4 users
I would prefer it over online. Anyone had a good experience?

I tried to incorporate the things I read on SDN but it isn't helping to improve my score. I think a tutor may help.

Your best resource for MCAT verbal is EK Audio Osmosis:

51HFZ1YQJ7L.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
You seem to always posts stuff in support of jack Westin. That dude charges crazy amounts for his services. Perhaps so he can pay people like you do spam SDN. Screw off.

Lol, no man. There's no need to be rude here. If you've seen my past posts, you'll know that I don't spam SDN and have always acted in the best interest of people who post here. I'm just trying to help OP here and I've found Jack and his method of teaching to be really really effective. I get you're saying that Jack is expensive, but look at the price he charges vs. others who charge for CARS tutoring. CambridgeLearningCenter has a CARS tutoring and Jack's course is half the price.

I would say that it's not as effective to spend the money on a MCAT course since you could always buy the books and study on your own, but in terms of learning the strategy I think you could benefit a lot from investing in Jack. You were asking if people knew of a CARS tutor and I gave you the name of the best person I could think of, in your own interest.....

Reactions: 1 users
I just got my prelim scores back from the May 22nd date and got 85-100 percent on CARS. I've always scored really high in the verbal /CARS,( I remember on a Kaplan FL I only missed 2 of them...definitely an isolated incident haha but still). Just

comes naturally I suppose. But if you want some tips/advice and help in general I'd be happy to lend a hand!

I just happened to come across this post. What is written above is unprofessional and disrespectful. An opinion was requested and one was given. No need for profanity.
As for Jack Westin, he is legit (I just finished taking his course). Is he expensive? Maybe, but if we compare him to others:
1. Kaplan MCAT Private Tutoring (15 hours) - Live Online $3,999.
2. The Princeton Review MCAT Private Level 60-hr Tutoring Package $8,100.
3. NextStep - 16 hours Crash Course $1,899 (The cheapest of three available packages by NS)
Is he worth it? Yes, for me at least. He's not for everyone and you have to work with him. Don't expect a 130 without working hard for it.

Dr. Trenb...your comparison are not equal and thus don't make sense. Jack Westin charges $1,400 for group online sessions. Many of the other prices are for one-on-one Private tutoring, some in-person. With Jack Westin, you may get on average 20 hours for $1,400, that's $70/hr for group sessions. I found a VERY capable MCAT tutors in my area who charged me around $60 for one-on-one tutoring and was able to get me a very competitive verbal score. This is not something I achieved in a class setting.

I recommend the same to my friends, if you can benefit from a class, take Princeton Review, or Berkeley Review or Jack Westin and you'll be fine. If you have bigger issues in verbal, you will benefit most from individualized tutoring.

I think you should just practice. CARS/verbal isn't like the other sections, it draws on personal capability and practice more than anything. If you need improvement you may need to re-evaluate the way you approach problem solving which can be a strategy, but its also by practicing reading and writing over and over again. Try reading science or psychology journals and finding main ideas. Try strategy books from other tests like the GRE or LSAT. keep trying to improve on your own because no one can take the test but you. good luck!

You're correct. But, again if we compare prices above, average rate is $266, $135 and $118 for Kaplan, TPR, and NS, respectively. JW is roughly $35 (he gives over 40 hours of instruction). Check his course page: http://www.jackwestin.com/#!course/crru

On top of that, in no way I felt I was hindered to ask any question or say anything at any time. Obviously, he's not the only tutor and there are plenty out there who offer competitive prices with one-on-one tutor. I'm not here to advertise for anyone, but rather help clarify an issue.

Dr. Trenb...your comparison are not equal and thus don't make sense. Jack Westin charges $1,400 for group online sessions. Many of the other prices are for one-on-one Private tutoring, some in-person. With Jack Westin, you may get on average 20 hours for $1,400, that's $70/hr for group sessions. I found a VERY capable MCAT tutors in my area who charged me around $60 for one-on-one tutoring and was able to get me a very competitive verbal score. This is not something I achieved in a class setting.

I recommend the same to my friends, if you can benefit from a class, take Princeton Review, or Berkeley Review or Jack Westin and you'll be fine. If you have bigger issues in verbal, you will benefit most from individualized tutoring.
Apologizes, I must have accidentally deleted my post instead of editing.