I can't concentrate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to the library from 9 am to 8pm everyday and I only get like 2 hours of real studying done (I don't even know what I think about, nothing is really bothering me). I dont know what to do to concentrate and study faster. I find myself re-reading the same sentence like 5 times :( . Do u guys have any suggestions on how to concentrate and pick up the pace on studying for the DAT. Anything, please. I'm planning on taking the DAT in September.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

When I can't study, I either take a break or I will take a really hard practice test so I get scared into studying more. That worked real good for me when I took the DAT, and has worked well for the first 2 years of dental school. Hopefully it paid off for the boards... :)

Also, try doing a group study session where you review stuff in a "quiz" format. I study like this with 2 other students in my class, and it really helps you to learn the material well, plus its a change from the normal studying. And if you don't know your stuff, it can really motivate you (make sure to study with people that you think are just as smart or smarter than you are).

grtuck

That used to happen to me as well. I would have an 8 hr shift as a security officer and get nothing done. I would say to exercise beforehand. You might lose out on an hour of study time, but doing so will relax you and effortlessly boost your concentration.

Rob

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had that problem also, I fixed it by studying in two hour blocks and taking an hour off in-between each block. This worked great for me.

Hang in there!

dannon said:
I go to the library from 9 am to 8pm everyday and I only get like 2 hours of real studying done (I don't even know what I think about, nothing is really bothering me). I dont know what to do to concentrate and study faster. I find myself re-reading the same sentence like 5 times :( . Do u guys have any suggestions on how to concentrate and pick up the pace on studying for the DAT. Anything, please. I'm planning on taking the DAT in September.
Thanks

STOP GOING TO THE LIBRARY.

It is obvious that particular environment is not conducive to studying in your case.

Try something else like what the other guys said: Maybe work out first, maybe alternate studying and breaks/naps. You need to find a routine that works for you.

I can never study in the library either. I've always studied better on my living room floor-- I have a piece of clean carpet remnant that I can study on, and lay down and take a quick nap when I find I am too tired to absorb information (when you read things 5 times but it still doesn't sink in). I leave the TV on as background noise; for some reason I can't study in total silence. I also got a supply of Diet Dew handy.. I can't stay awake for 5 minutes without it. :laugh:

Bottom line: Keep experimenting to find a studying environment that works for you!

Good luck.

:thumbup: been there.Even i tired the library and couldnt accomplish much.try change of place.try near the pool it works for me.even with ppl having fun around i could study .when u feel bored u can talk to them or just look at them to relax. gl

go to borders during 11am-3pm it is relatively quiet but not too quiet where you wont want to study...plus it motivates you more when there are cute girls around you, you just want to show them your buff brain :)

sinned said:
go to borders during 11am-3pm it is relatively quiet but not too quiet where you wont want to study...plus it motivates you more when there are cute girls around you, you just want to show them your buff brain :)

I too would go to my local Borders. Their cafe was quite, soft music was always playing, and if I found myself unable to concentrate and going over the same sentence like you, I would take a ten minute break and go over to the magazines or music section and zone out. Plus, if you get stuck on something, there is a whole aisle of study guides at your disposal. I went there so often ( I studied there during school as well) that the employees counted down the days to my DAT.

Thanks for the advice guys

I scheduled myself out to the minute and set the alarms on my palm to let me know when to start and stop studying each subject, when to take breaks and when to stop. Also, don't go for so long! go for 5 hours or so at a time, that way you won't be thinking "well, I'm gonna be here for 11 hours, I have so much time to waste"

It's like one of my interviewers put it when asked how I studied for the DAT--he said "so you scheduled your mind and minded your schedule; habits like that will get you through school just fine." If only I could do that with my studies now :(

switch it up with variation. 8hrs in the same spot and same material would kill me. I always change the stuff I'm studying when I start to drift. Changing either the subject matter or like from reading to practice quiz.

Also I always change up the loci. Maybe the library for 2hrs, outside for an 1hr, coffee shop for a few, etc. Good luck. Chances are you are getting more accomplished than you think, but your just nervous that you haven't done enough. Be calm and you'll do fine.

take breaks. take a short walk.
..maybe try writing the material out when u arent concentrating...

me...
i play ncaa football with the roommates or play on the computer when i get bored studying...
(but i dont recommend my study habits)

If you find yourself procrastinating over and over, try using the following method. It's worked wonders for me.

Get a kitchen timer, preferably an electronic one that won't go "tick-tick-tick" while it counts down. When you are going to study, tell yourself that all you have to do is study for 30 minutes, and then you can play. Sit down, focus, and study for just 30 minutes, and then do something you really enjoy. Read a book, watch TV, surf SDN, play video games, talk to a friend on the phone, whatever. You might want to try timing your play time as well - 30 minute increments to start, and then cut it down to 15 minutes or so. After that, squeeze in just one more half-hour, then play again.

If you keep doing this, hours of study will pile up, and you'll have fun doing it. For me, it's worked to the point that I actually look forward to getting that half-hour of work done. The key is to make your playtime guilt-free; you've got to enjoy it thoroughly. Most people will procrastinate by doing something they should be enjoying, but instead they feel guilty as they play because they're procrastinating. You've got to get in quality R&R time. Break it up, like other people said.

Members don't see this ad :)
Coffee and a cigarette worked for me. :eek:

fear of failing worked for me :eek:

Dear Dannon,

When are you planning to write the DAT ? If you are studying a few months ahead of time , you can break your study sessions over all those months. You have to decide which areas are your weaknesses and perhaps keep a log to monitor your progress. You can focus on a different topic each day and at the end of the week, review all the topics. Once you feel like you have reviewed sufficiently, try to get your hands on some old exams and give it a try to assess your progress.

If you are really unsure of yourself and need some guidance, you can enroll in one of those prep-test institutes such as Kaplan where you have an instructor who will give you a program to work with, motivate you and help you with old exam questions that perplex you. If you review like mad- over and over again- eventually it will get into that neural network! Be easy on yourself though...learning takes time! Try not so much to memorize as to understand.

I know what you are going through buddy ! I need to really review a lot too. I get distracted easily. Studies have shown that the human mind cannot fully concentrate for more than one full hour at a time (even less for me :laugh: ) . So give yourself a break! Tell yourself that for every hour of study, you will take a few minutes break to do something fun like call a friend, listen to your favorite CD or munch on a favorite snack ( watch out for the latter as you don't want to gain too much weight!!!). After each week of studying, arrange to do something really fun to reward yourself. If you don't do this, you are going to have the high risks of having a burn out/breakdown and will have to check yourself in at some local hospital psychiatric department (dental school will also make some students go insane , but that's another story :laugh: )!!!!

Also, it would help if you exercise. I am a passionate swimmer (unfortunately not as much these days). I found that swimming really cleared my mind. Sometimes, I would visualize a certain goal in my mind and swim with that visualization and think of strategies about how I would attain it. All my anger, all my frustration, all my stress and all my worries dissipated with each lap of front crawl and breast stroke ... you will really feel fresh when you're out of the water. Exercise really gets all those endorphin levels high! I don't get this "high" or "revitalization" with other forms of exercise as I do with swimming. Whatever works for you...

Other ideas...if you know other people who are studying for the DAT , organize review sessions in which you could quiz each other, try old exams together and most importantly, motivate one another .

I have also found that keeping a diary/journal (for the past 15 years) really alleviates all the stress as well in difficult times in my life- it's a cathartic thing I suppose. I have always found that when I write about all the things that worry me, I feel much more alleviated. And if you're an artist/artistically inclined, take a break to paint or draw- that really relaxes me too.

Other ideas still? Don't just study for the DAT and read absolutely nothing else!!!! I love to read poetry from time to time- that really puts me into another frame of mind. I am an especially avid fan of Walt Whitman ( Leaves of Grass). If you really want to be inspired, read some spiritual literature or find yourself a "guru" or motivational speaker/writer. I personally love Dr Wayne Dyer and have nearly all his books including the latest " The Power of Intention". If you are too lazy to bother with reading, you can purchase the CD versions of some of these motivational books.

Sure you have to study hard for those prep-tests but don't let it consume you! Take time to smell the roses and see the sunlight of a summer's day!!!!
And remember, tests never test an individual's degree of intelligence nor do they indicate your potential as a human being. Tests are but a game you have to play to get certain things you want in life...we are merely players and like any game we win some and lose some but what differentiates a real winner from a loser is that the winner accepts his/her weaknesses and grows from the experience.

I am not a perfect "Miss Goody Two Shoes" . I am a a really bad preacher because I give all this advice and don't always follow it myself ! :thumbdown:
I try though...

Good luck!
xoxo Smilemaker
Laughter is the best medicine...so is smiling :)

"Our greatness is not in how many times we rise but in how many times we rise after we fall" ,Confucius.

Smilemaker100 said:
Dear Dannon,

When are you planning to write the DAT ? If you are studying a few months ahead of time , you can break your study sessions over all those months. You have to decide which areas are your weaknesses and perhaps keep a log to monitor your progress. You can focus on a different topic each day and at the end of the week, review all the topics. Once you feel like you have reviewed sufficiently, try to get your hands on some old exams and give it a try to assess your progress.

"Our greatness is not in how many times we rise but in how many times we rise after we fall" ,Confucius.

Wow, thanks for all the advice. I started studying July 5th and I'm planning on taking the exam September 25th. What do you mean by breaking up my study sessions over those months? I'm almost done with the Kaplan Rewiew notes. But I feel like I didnt absorb any information because there is so much detail. Anyways, I was wondering how you scored on your DATs if you dont mind me asking?
Thanks again for the advice

In general, Dannon, I don't like being asked about scores . I wrote the Canadian DAT. All my scores were in the 20s I believe ( that's going back quite a number of years ago...1996? I am getting senile). One thing I do remember was the score of 28 on the carving which apparently, was one of the top scores in the country. I worked my little ass off for that carving...I have at least a collection of 200 carvings as evidence ( soap and chalk) . I spent about 3 months studying for the DAT (not full time though). Oh yes, the PAT- percetual ability test was my lowest score- I think it was between 15 and 20.

To be honest with you, Dannon, those DAT exams are a load of crap (excuse my language). I took the Kaplan course too. In retrospect, they really screw you with money!!!! Honestly, the DAT is no indication as to what kind of dentist you will be. If I were in charge of the policy making in regards to dental school admission, I would get rid of that stupid exam and put more emphasis on the caracter/personality types that get admitted into the program that give the profession a bad reputation! :mad: My mother has had quite a lot dental work done on her- implants, bridges and crowns , so I have come across quite a lot of charlatans :mad: in the profession that treated my mother over the years and who make me want to puke when I hear or see their name ( and of course I will not name them as I am a PROFESSIONAL)!

dannon said:
Thanks
Hi, Dannon...

I just wanted you to know that the DAT's are not all that important if you have a good GPA...I had a very difficult time studying for this test and ran out of time during the exam the two times I took it. I found out that I have ADD and a Learning Disability. I often think I'm studying countless hours, when in fact, I have been studying about 2 hours. Just pace yourself and try hardest...You'll do it if this is what you really want.

Smilemaker100 said:
In general, Dannon, I don't like being asked about scores . I wrote the Canadian DAT. All my scores were in the 20s I believe ( that's going back quite a number of years ago...1996? I am getting senile). One thing I do remember was the score of 28 on the carving which apparently, was one of the top scores in the country. I worked my little ass off for that carving...I have at least a collection of 200 carvings as evidence ( soap and chalk) . I spent about 3 months studying for the DAT (not full time though). Oh yes, the PAT- percetual ability test was my lowest score- I think it was between 15 and 20.

To be honest with you, Dannon, those DAT exams are a load of crap (excuse my language). I took the Kaplan course too. In retrospect, they really screw you with money!!!! Honestly, the DAT is no indication as to what kind of dentist you will be. If I were in charge of the policy making in regards to dental school admission, I would get rid of that stupid exam and put more emphasis on the caracter/personality types that get admitted into the program that give the profession a bad reputation! :mad: My mother has had quite a lot dental work done on her- implants, bridges and crowns , so I have come across quite a lot of charlatans :mad: in the profession that treated my mother over the years and who make me want to puke when I hear or see their name ( and of course I will not name them as I am a PROFESSIONAL)!

Wow, 28 on the carving. I thought my 26 was high. :thumbup:

I have had the same problem and I've found that diet, exercise, and getting sufficient sleep is the key to studying well. Pay attention to what you have eaten before your unproductive study sessions. It may sound like nonsense but I started experimenting with my diet and found that when I eliminate certain foods my mind works better. The best book I have read in a long time is called Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman M.D.. It helped me a lot.

If that doesn't work, you might want to start doing crystal meth.

smoke some green that does the trick for me

I have trouble studying in the library to....always have. I study best in my own place, in my own desk chair, or in my bed. Its funny. I spend more time laying in bed and studying than anywhere else. It is my favorite place to study. Sprawl all my stuff out, and get to work. The more comfortable I am, the better I learn.....but for some, this is just the opposite. But it has always worked for me.

qaztake82 said:
smoke some green that does the trick for me

Do dental schools have random drug test?

How do you study for your classes? If you have concentration difficulties in general, you may have a legitimate ADHD type condition. Spending 11 hours at the library to only come away with two hours worth of productivity is a bit extreme.