I can't even VOLUNTEER!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

09javcar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I go to hospitals and tell them I would like to volunteer at their facilities and they ask me if I'm 18 years or older and out of HS. I tell no but that I am I'm college. They tell me you can't volunteer unless you are 18.

I feel useless right now, mainly because I can't find a job and now that I basically wanted to give away my time to help others I can't even do that! :eek: I'm worthless. lol Anyone else have this problem?

By the way, I'm 17, turning 18 in November.

Members don't see this ad.

you could try community service type volunteering. i dont think you have to be 18 for the majority of those types of services. not positive though, just another option. if not, just wait till november.

Ok, so I go to hospitals and tell them I would like to volunteer at their facilities and they ask me if I'm 18 years or older and out of HS. I tell no but that I am I'm college. They tell me you can't volunteer unless you are 18.

I feel useless right now, mainly because I can't find a job and now that I basically wanted to give away my time to help others I can't even do that! :eek: I'm worthless. lol Anyone else have this problem?

Just wait till November haha, chill for now and study hard. And there are plenty of volunteer opportunities that minors can partake in.

Members don't see this ad :)
november's not too far away...

so take a break and play some videos games until you are 18. You have plenty of time in college to get volunteering done.

i feel your pain. i graduated a year early, only to spend the next year out working and reapplying (but i got 7 interviews this year so i'm hopeful).

i would encourage you to talk to your high school to see what services they can refer you to that the hs students typically do. i would bet a nursing home or something would take you... id also recommend getting EMT certified (you cant work until 18 but the certification is just one step closer) because being an EMT was really awesome for me in my premed path.

good luck!

Not many people have a valid excuse for NOT being able to do all the neurotic things that pre-med students do.

I would take advantage of it. This is probably one of the few times in the rest of your pre-med journey where you can relax and not have the fact that you're doing so bug you.

Dude, I didn't even have any clinical experience at all my first semester of college. Go find something else you enjoy--I got involved in research, but I also spent the time adjusting to studying more in college.

you don't need to have any extra-curriculars whatsoever during your freshman year of college. no one cares what you do during your freshman year because you're still a little kid. your responsibility as a freshman is to just keep your grades up. that's it.

start up the clinical volunteering and research during this upcoming summer.

Hospital volunteering is overrated, often useless, and usually has no patient exposure. Go do something that helps people, like habitat for humanity, organizing a blood drive, or mentoring some kids that are having trouble in school.

Use this time to pick up a CNA degree. Then you can get some really good clinical experience later on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Join the Medical Reserve Corps - all you need is a signature from your parents. You may not have one in your area, though.

You only have to wait a month... so wait a month? >.>

just chill for a month. maybe you should just study more to pass the time

You're 17. Not volunteering right now isn't that big of a deal. You will have 3 years until you apply.

Bummer! At all the hospitals near me you can volunteer at 16 as long as you have parent consent :)

Just chill for a month!

To the above poster in some states you can't work as an EMT until you are 21, even though you can be registered at 18

ask the hospital volunteer coordinator what you need to do to be ready in November. You will need all sorts of shots and tb tests before you are even allowed to start volunteering so get all of that out of the way and set up a volunteer spot so your ready to start as soon as you turn 18.

How do I go about obtaining a CNA or EMT certification? Really confused and right now seems to be the perfect time to obtain one of those thingies. :idea:

How do I go about obtaining a CNA or EMT certification? Really confused and right now seems to be the perfect time to obtain one of those thingies. :idea:

see if your local community college has such classes.

Does training begin whenever you apply or does one wait for a class to begin?

that depends on the place that offers the class. find a schedule of classes and go from there.

Does training begin whenever you apply or does one wait for a class to begin?
The community colleges near me that offer multiple EMT classes as regular classes. You go through the regular sign up and start up at the beginning of the semester just as you would for English 100.

I would choose EMT over CNA. EMT seems more exciting plus you don't have to clean up poop or change diapers.