I can't figure out this MCAT stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungProdigy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've completed Bio 1, Chem 1, and Physics 1, and I've been casually perusing MCAT prep books, and I'm so lost. I feel like I either haven't covered the concepts to solve ANY problems or I've forgotten the concepts the question is testing. Am I just looking at these books a little too early? I feel like a *******.

Apologies if this is in the wrong board.

TIA to anyone who offers me some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

A real young prodigy, huh? Well, there's a lot of material you haven't covered such as the second halves of biology, chemistry and physics as well as a year of ochem, first semester biochemistry and social sciences, so it would be expected that you would be lost.
Wait to prep for the MCAT until after you're done with the requisite courses. Otherwise, it's a waste of your time.

Reactions: 4 users
I actually think you don't need a strong foundation at all to do well on the MCAT. Just get the basic knowledge from examkrackers and have some inductive ability.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A real young prodigy, huh? Well, there's a lot of material you haven't covered such as the second halves of biology, chemistry and physics as well as a year of ochem, first semester biochemistry and social sciences, so it would be expected that you would be lost.
Wait to prep for the MCAT until after you're done with the requisite courses. Otherwise, it's a waste of your time.

Haha, everybody always makes a comment about my username when I ask questions, not to mention stupid ones, lol.

I'd like to see a question which covers topics from Bio 1 just to see what I'm facing. I'm just so confused on HOW the MCAT tests the materials, and think of everything in terms of the SAT, since that was the last standardizes test I took.

Taking the courses first should help most people, particularly for bio and orgo. The physics is high-school level in terms of calculations, but you will have to integrate several concepts to answer a question correctly. For verbal, no background is required.

As an aside, I knew someone who got a 39 on the MCAT freshman year who absorbed very little of the course material. This person was one of those weird standardized test geniuses who did poorly in actual prerequisite courses. Apparently, the MCAT is written in such a way that some people can just look at the answers and figure out which one is correct. He did have a 15 in verbal, though, so his PS and BS scores were only around 12.

OP, as I'm sure you gather, the MCAT differs substantially from the SAT. I still think it's way to early for you to be worrying about the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, as I'm sure you gather, the MCAT differs substantially from the SAT. I still think it's way to early for you to be worrying about the MCAT.

Indeed. I'm just having a hard time getting a footing on this test. In a word, I'm overwhelmed. I feel like I should know at least some of the answers to the questions I've looked at. Instead, I end up staring at the questions going WTF. Ugh, sorry to be venting, but how did you all begin studying? Just picked up EK, went over everything, and attacked the AAMC questions?

Indeed. I'm just having a hard time getting a footing on this test. In a word, I'm overwhelmed. I feel like I should know at least some of the answers to the questions I've looked at. Instead, I end up staring at the questions going WTF. Ugh, sorry to be venting, but how did you all begin studying? Just picked up EK, went over everything, and attacked the AAMC questions?
We took the classes first.

Reactions: 2 users
Right, but someone who has finished half of the classes should be able to open, say the first few chapters of a Physics prep book and do the practice problems in them. It's not like learning about magnetism is going to change your performance on the kinetics questions.
I'm not saying that it's efficient or effective to start prep this early, but if OP really can't wrap their head around the questions in prep books on the materials they've already covered in class, taking classes on other material isn't going to change or improve that and perhaps they're right to start pondering what additional steps they should be taking once they get to that point.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree, the problem isn't about taking classes it's about you and what you're getting from your classes in reality. Take me for example, once I started my MCAT prep, I felt like I had amnesia and didn't study a thing in my university, when in fact it was the quality of m classes that was the problem. First and foremost, you need to understand that your courses can in no way cover everything you need for the MCAT, that's just impossible due to time constraints.
Second, the MCAT is more about conceptualizing and really understanding the root of a subject as opposed to say pure memorization as you may have encountered in your class exams.
Just take it easy now, prep books exist for a reason. Try to learn as much as you can from your classes, but don't expect to go into your study period knowing everything.

Right, but someone who has finished half of the classes should be able to open, say the first few chapters of a Physics prep book and do the practice problems in them. It's not like learning about magnetism is going to change your performance on the kinetics questions.
I'm not saying that it's efficient or effective to start prep this early, but if OP really can't wrap their head around the questions in prep books on the materials they've already covered in class, taking classes on other material isn't going to change or improve that and perhaps they're right to start pondering what additional steps they should be taking once they get to that point.

I can do the practice problems in some of the prep books, but looking at AAMC Test 3R Bio section, I barely know any of it. IDK if it's because I'm not reading the passages (I've read in other threads that there are only a couple of questions directly related to the passage), or if I genuinely just don't know the information. I feel like for the Bio section, there's way more in it than just Bio 1 and 2 - am I wrong?

I can do the practice problems in some of the prep books, but looking at AAMC Test 3R Bio section, I barely know any of it. IDK if it's because I'm not reading the passages (I've read in other threads that there are only a couple of questions directly related to the passage), or if I genuinely just don't know the information. I feel like for the Bio section, there's way more in it than just Bio 1 and 2 - am I wrong?
OK, that's totally different. A test which covers a lot of material and specifically looks to determine your ability to link concepts is not one you should expect to do well on after studying half of it.
Until you've covered everything I would stick to prep book questions, which attempt to limit the scope of material required to answer the questions in a given chapter while still using AAMC style questions and passages. I didn't even attempt any AAMC exams until I'd finished my formal content review...it's just throwing valuable resources down the drain.

So I've completed Bio 1, Chem 1, and Physics 1, and I've been casually perusing MCAT prep books, and I'm so lost. I feel like I either haven't covered the concepts to solve ANY problems or I've forgotten the concepts the question is testing. Am I just looking at these books a little too early? I feel like a *******.

Apologies if this is in the wrong board.

TIA to anyone who offers me some advice.
"casually" "perusing"
the-office-14.gif

There are a ton of things that can help you determine if you're ready. The person I studied with took all off the courses first, did all of the AAMC practice tests, and did a review course by Kaplan. I had never taken Orgo or Bio, only did the one free test to see where I was at, and used the other person's books to teach myself the material. I'm sure you can tell from the tone of this story which one of us got a competitive score. It's just a matter of understanding if you're actually ready and taking more time is better than less.

Come back in about two years. Do NOT think about MCAT in that time.

Reactions: 1 user
Come back in about two years. Do NOT think about MCAT in that time.

Okay, thanks. Also, a question for you since you're a faculty member, and I'm just going to write it here, since I don't really want to create another thread. If I did dual enrollment in 11th and 12th grade and completed about 30 credits at the time of graduation, and am now technically my "first year" of college, spring semester, when is a good time for me to take my MCAT? I guess you could say that I'm a year ahead in terms of credits. Do I take it whenever I complete my ~90 credits (end of junior year)? I'm totally confused about this. TIA.

Okay, thanks. Also, a question for you since you're a faculty member, and I'm just going to write it here, since I don't really want to create another thread. If I did dual enrollment in 11th and 12th grade and completed about 30 credits at the time of graduation, and am now technically my "first year" of college, spring semester, when is a good time for me to take my MCAT? I guess you could say that I'm a year ahead in terms of credits. Do I take it whenever I complete my ~90 credits (end of junior year)? I'm totally confused about this. TIA.
Take it when you've finished all of your prerequisite coursework, when you have a solid chunk of time to study for it, and are within a year or so of your intended application - ideally as close to application time as is logistically feasible while leaving some time to retake or choose to delay your application if things do not go as you would hope. Remember, they're only good for 2-3yrs depending on the individual school policy, so if you take it too far in advance and end up reapplying, you risk having to retake...but take it too late and you risk applying blind, applying late, or unable to retake a poor showing.

This question isn't directed to me so I'm sorry I'm providing input.

Go to https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/testsections/. Research the MCAT2015 Exam. Find out all about it. Find out which classes you need to take in order to be ready for this exam. Then, find some good prep books, set aside 3-4 months, and kill it!

I think it's good you're thinking about the MCAT now. I did something similar my beginning sophomore year of college. I started looking at prep books and I was LOST. Even though I had taken all the classes you mentioned above. I ended up doing pretty well.

My belief is that you take the MCAT when you are ready for it. One shot, one kill.
Take as many diagnostics as possible and always practice, practice, practice.
Be well read too.