I could really use some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
U

umassmedkid

Hi everyone,
This is my first time posting here and I don't really know how it works but I am going to give it a shot anyway.

I graduated in May 06 from WPI with a 3.51 in biotechnology and minors in biochem and computer science. I have lots of extracurriculars, a senior thesis, 2 internships (both at pharmaceutical companies doing research). I am currently enrolled in a PhD program in biochemistry at Boston University School of Medicine... but recently I realized I made the wrong choice and med school is what is right for me.. not a PhD.

I would really like to go to University of Massachusetts School of Medicine (Theyre average GPA is a 3.6 and average composite MCAT is a 10.6). I don't have any clinical experience but I have been an RA for 4 years which I think shows that I care about people etc...

Anyways I think my plan is to apply for Fall of 2008 (hopefully leaving my PhD program with a masters in biochem). I really dont know much about the MCATs or how to study for them. I don't know when I should take them, I really am just new to this whole thing and would appreciate any guidance. It's pretty much all I can think about... it makes it hard for me to do my course work and lab rotations because all I can focus on is how to become a better applicant so I can get in.

Can anyone give me ANY advice whatsoever? Any advice about Umass specifically? Any hints on how to study for the MCATS? When I should take them? My chances of getting in? Anything whatsoever would be great

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

You need clinical experience to get into medical school. Being an RA is nice, but it doesn't cover that base.

You can take the MCAT many times next year, so you'll have plenty of time to study. Give yourself at least 3 months. I already took it so I can't speak to how the scheduling will work for the computerized MCAT.

When you say clinical experience do you mean shadowing a doctor or volunteering at a hospital? How many hours would you say is appropriate and does it matter what the volunteer work is? I've looked into volunteering opportunities and a lot of them are things like filling up patients water cups, filing, clerical work, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
When you say clinical experience do you mean shadowing a doctor or volunteering at a hospital? How many hours would you say is appropriate and does it matter what the volunteer work is? I've looked into volunteering opportunities and a lot of them are things like filling up patients water cups, filing, clerical work, etc...

Ideally, you should get both volunteer and shadowing experience. Look into volunteering at a free clinic or a children's hospital which are the most likely to offer you patient interaction, which is what constitutes clinical experience. Volunteering a in a big research hospital you'll likely be doing those things you listed.

Find a free or sliding scale outpatient clinic (places that serve the homeless and/or the working poor). You may start out doing the work of a receptionist/clerk but as you go along and pay your dues, you will have the opportunity to do other tasks such as obtaining vital signs, obtainign information from patients, providing paitent education. This might work with your schedule because these clinics often have evening/weekend hours that work with the schedules of the volunteers.

If a doc there will let you watch during a patient encounter, that could be called shadowing. I don't put much weight on shadowing; 8-10 hours should be enough.

OK- I will definitely start my volunteering and shadowing ASAP but what about my other questions. Does anyone know anything specific about UMass Med? What about a good MCAT for my GPA (3.51) Will schools look down on me for quitting my PhD program and leaving with a masters?

Also I was looking through some interview archives and one of the questions was "why do you want to go into medicine when you know where it is going" Where is medicine going? Is something bad going to happen in the near future?

Anyone out there interested in Umass that can give me any info? Also I havent filled the physics and orgo lab requirements... will that prevent me from applying? Should I take them this summer or wait and see if I get accepted and take them the summer before med school? Does it matter?
Thanks

OK- I will definitely start my volunteering and shadowing ASAP but what about my other questions. Does anyone know anything specific about UMass Med? What about a good MCAT for my GPA (3.51) Will schools look down on me for quitting my PhD program and leaving with a masters?

I think that you should shoot for a 34 (10 12 12) or better. Maybe you could get by at UMass with a lower score but why chance it. Are you a lifelong resident of Mass? I'm told that they have rather strict residency requirements.

Also I was looking through some interview archives and one of the questions was "why do you want to go into medicine when you know where it is going" Where is medicine going? Is something bad going to happen in the near future?

In some areas, wages are stagnating. Pressures associated with the cost of malpractice insurance, the aggravations associated with third party payers who can deny coverage for services and pull other stunts, unrealistic expectations of patients leave some physicians disenchanted.

I havent filled the physics and orgo lab requirements... will that prevent me from applying? Should I take them this summer or wait and see if I get accepted and take them the summer before med school? Does it matter?
Thanks

No point in getting the PhD if you don't want to be a bench scientist. I doubt that any school would hold it against you. You should take physics and/or organic before applying. You could take one before applying and take the other during the year that you spend applying. Don't wait until the summer before matriculation.

Figure on applying in June '07 (or the year before you earn your M.S whichever is later). This means taking the MCAT in April of that year, or earlier. You would be on interviews during Fall-Winter 2007-8 and starting med school in Fall 2008.

Don't quote me on this, but I've heard that med schools do not like people dropping out of other programs to try medicine....it shows a lack of responsibilty....why would they offer a position to someone who may decide to drop out!:oops:

Don't quote me on this, but I've heard that med schools do not like people dropping out of other programs to try medicine....it shows a lack of responsibilty....why would they offer a position to someone who may decide to drop out!:oops:

I think dropping out of a pHd program to go into medical shows dedication to medicine. I'm not sure where you're getting your info from. Non-traditional applicants are well-liked by Adcoms.

Hi everyone,
This is my first time posting here and I don't really know how it works but I am going to give it a shot anyway.

I graduated in May 06 from WPI with a 3.51 in biotechnology and minors in biochem and computer science. I have lots of extracurriculars, a senior thesis, 2 internships (both at pharmaceutical companies doing research). I am currently enrolled in a PhD program in biochemistry at Boston University School of Medicine... but recently I realized I made the wrong choice and med school is what is right for me.. not a PhD.

I would really like to go to University of Massachusetts School of Medicine (Theyre average GPA is a 3.6 and average composite MCAT is a 10.6). I don't have any clinical experience but I have been an RA for 4 years which I think shows that I care about people etc...

Anyways I think my plan is to apply for Fall of 2008 (hopefully leaving my PhD program with a masters in biochem). I really dont know much about the MCATs or how to study for them. I don't know when I should take them, I really am just new to this whole thing and would appreciate any guidance. It's pretty much all I can think about... it makes it hard for me to do my course work and lab rotations because all I can focus on is how to become a better applicant so I can get in.

Can anyone give me ANY advice whatsoever? Any advice about Umass specifically? Any hints on how to study for the MCATS? When I should take them? My chances of getting in? Anything whatsoever would be great

Thanks everyone!

i took princeton review course. worked out well. my advice is study study study for about 1 months kind of, and then about a month before the exam, study all day with practice full-length tests at least once a week (its a long test, you have to have the discipline and endurance). i dont know how to comment for this new computerized format test though... i know its not as long.. but that also means less room for error. good luck. if you want more specific mcat advice, PM me. ill give you my secrets.

I think that you should shoot for a 34 (10 12 12) or better. Maybe you could get by at UMass with a lower score but why chance it. Are you a lifelong resident of Mass? I'm told that they have rather strict residency requirements.

Yup- I'm a life long resident of Massachusetts :) born and raised and proud of it! I will obviously aim for the best score possible... I just dont know how much above a 30 I can get... but I guess we'll see.

I will take physics and orgo lab this summer and get them both overwith so I dont have to stress about it in the future- also that way I can put them on my application which I plan to submit June 1 2007

Thanks for the advice :)

I think dropping out of a pHd program to go into medical shows dedication to medicine. I'm not sure where you're getting your info from. Non-traditional applicants are well-liked by Adcoms.

I am hoping that is how they percieve it... I mean I think it shows that I am dedicated and make a decision to CHOSE medicine rather than my PhD you know? I hope it helps and doesn't hurt but I guess we'll see.. I'm sure they will address it in my interview (if I get one).

Does anyone know about how competitive UMass med is?

Also- can people comment on how they KNEW they wanted to do medicine and nothing else. I feel strongly that I want to do medicine and get my MD but I am not 100% positive yet... I think my volunteering at a hospital will help decide but I am curious how other people KNEW for certain.
Thanks!

According to US News and World Report, UMass's acceptance rate in 2005 was 24.8% Thank God you're not a Californian: our "easiest" schools accept about 8% of applicants. Anyway, just had to whine about that. You look like you're in good shape. Just study for the MCAT and you'll do fine. :thumbup:

I have heard that dropping out of a graduate program is very bad many times on these forums. I don't have any personal knowledge of it, but it seems like adcoms would have reason for concern about an applicants committment.

Not to pile on, especially since you are usually an excellent resource, but... this is pretty much dead wrong. Dropping out of a program (without a MS) is more often frowned upon than not.

See the nontraditional forum for lots more discussion about this (admittedly controversial) topic.