I could use some guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedishard624

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I am going to be honest, I had no interest in being in medicine for my first three semesters. So I had gotten a GPA of 2.8 by the end of my fall semester of sophomore year at a top 50 private university. Relevant classes and grades of this time period include:

Freshman Fall Semester
Intro to EBIO (Intro to Ecology and Evolutionary Biology): B+
EBIO Lab: B+
Long Calculus 1 (First of 2 part Calculus 1 class): C+
Archaeology: C

Freshman Spring Semester
Psychology: B

Sophomore Fall Semester
Economics: C
Evolutionary Psychology C+
Animal Behavior B+
Gen Chem 1: B+
Gen Chem 1 Lab: B+

So these are all my bad grades/grades that have to do with science. Most other courses were either Liberal Arts or Language related.

I decided to be pre-med my second semester sophomore year, and received a 3.6. Then took full Calculus 1 over the summer at a commuter college near my hometown and got an A (although the credit transferred, the grade didn’t to my GPA). Then I got a 3.7 last semester. I am probably going to get around a 3.7-3.75 this semester. I currently have a 3.56 Major GPA (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology) and a 3.2 regular GPA. My science GPA is higher than my non-science. I am in Sigma Chi, where I’ve held three positions, one semi-impressive, I could make sound impressive in a resume. I took a Chemistry Service Learning my sophomore year, which allowed me to teach underprivileged kids in middle school about chemistry. I am very social, and would probably do very well in an interview. I have a highly unique upbringing with incredible medical relevance (father was in wheelchair my whole life, nurses constantly in house, constantly needs care, constantly in hospital). Here are my relevant courses:

Sophomore Spring Semester
Gen Chem 2: B+
Gen Chem 2 Lab: B
Conservation Bio: B+
Intro to Cell&Molec Bio: A

Junior Fall Semester
Orgo 1: A
Orgo 1 Lab: B
Genetics: A-
Theories and Methods of EBIO: B+
History of Life (scientific history): A

Expected Grades for Junior Spring Semester
Orgo 2: A or A-
Processes of Evolution: A or A-
Expository Writing: A
Gen Bio Lab: B- or B
Orgo Lab: B- or B

I plan on taking Physics, Stats, Biochem, Ecology, two high level EBIO labs, and an eastern perspectives course.
I am going to be funded as a St. Baldricks Summer Fellow this summer under the SURF (summer undergraduate research foundation) program. This is for pediatric oncology and hematology research. I will also be meeting with children who have cancer during this program. I plan on having a 3.4 by the end of my senior year. Possibly 3.45. I am going to have an incredibly difficult senior year, and will not be able to study for the MCAT until I graduate. What should I do, Study all summer after? Will that be enough? Should I take two gap years? What can I do in my gap year to best increase my chances? Will Med Schools like that I have a very large upwards trend, and that I did very well in all science courses besides Calculus? Will they factor in the fact the thought of pre-med had not occurred to until my second semester sophomore year? What should I worry about and what should I work on? All relevant advice would be welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

The B-'s have to stop if you're serious about an MD degree.

What should I worry about and what should I work on?

If you can keep on acing things, there are MD schools that look more at the last 2-3 years of your performance. DO programs will, of course, give you more love. Take the time you need for MCAT study and take it only when ready.

I am going to have an incredibly difficult senior year, and will not be able to study for the MCAT until I graduate. What should I do, Study all summer after? Will that be enough?

Any gap years should be for the ECs to top off the academic performance. Do something that's not the typical box checking thing. Find something you love and do it well.

Should I take two gap years? What can I do in my gap year to best increase my chances?

See above
Will Med Schools like that I have a very large upwards trend, and that I did very well in all science courses besides Calculus?

Possibly
Will they factor in the fact the thought of pre-med had not occurred to until my second semester sophomore year?