i did exactly what i wasn't supposed to do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pretty sure telling 12 programs that they are your number 1 is a match violation. Its just that one of them would have to be pissed off to report you (which is possible). Also, since we are thinking about jobs, chances are you are planning on doing a fellowship. chances are you thus don't want to piss off every program you looked at. OP, you're safest if the program you told is so high up there that they totally ignore people who say that they are number one. But a program I spoke to today said that they DO care.
We're all going to be doctors. We don't all have to be devious gunners.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a game and strategy is certainly involved in playing it well. Candidate stand to lose more than the programs so a candidate would naturally want to increase their chances. What scared me was one lone PD1 contacting another PD2 where the candidate who told PD1 that they were #1 and PD1 told candidate was #1 but candidate matched at PD2. Doomsday scenario is PD1 calling PD2 and causing trouble for the candidate...probably less likely to happen but this is the major risk I see.
It's not a game and there's nothing to play.

If you come off this crazy IRL as you do here, lying to N-1 programs that you're ranking them #1 is not in any way going to be the reason that you don't match.

Reactions: 4 users
Pretty sure telling 12 programs that they are your number 1 is a match violation. Its just that one of them would have to be pissed off to report you (which is possible). Also, since we are thinking about jobs, chances are you are planning on doing a fellowship. chances are you thus don't want to piss off every program you looked at. OP, you're safest if the program you told is so high up there that they totally ignore people who say that they are number one. But a program I spoke to today said that they DO care.
We're all going to be doctors. We don't all have to be devious gunners.

Hope you wear a helmet when on that dangerous moped

oh my god. its not a personal PSA. it's a shared pseudonym from people I grew up with. Don't get pissy just because I don't think we should lie to every PD we interview with.

I'm not pissy.
You just don't know what you're talking about.
It's not a match violation and yes it has the potential to affect you in the future after residency. Then again, anything has the potential to affect your future. Being a ****ty resident may do more damage than lying to some random PD.

No, it's not. Stop spreading misinformation.

It's a bit unethical and kind of a dick move, but it's not a Match violation.
Someone elsewhere said they asked the NRMP. And an attending told me the same thing. I apologize if anyone heard the opposite from the NRMP.

Let me be clear.......I would not recommend telling 12 programs they are #1. But if you have a couple (no more than 3 programs) and not in a small field, it might not be a terrible move. Personally, I am not doing that. I have told my #1 they are so and left it at that. I have a clear number 1 and showed interest to some others that I have contacted and they have contacted me.

I think it is good business to send thank you emails and show true interest if you have it. And most of my conversations have been just that. Like I have done in my business life before school.

If you have two #1's then tell them. And see which one you get.

Hope you wear a helmet when on that dangerous moped
helmet.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Say no more! :)

This should clearly confirm it that it is NOT a match violation to tell more than one programs that they are #1. The rest of the debate is on the other side of the fence which is morals, ethics and personal values, no less important but still very important to separate the legal vs. non-legal stuff.
But, it is not a match violation. I had an attorney read the language just to make sure I would not get myself into trouble.

Reading this forum gives me a headache, they really should move up match day so that we don't leave applicants stewing like this. To my fellow applicants, we got this, deep breaths and que sera sera!

The motive behind that post is suspect. The user has locked the thread and says that he has fixed the --problem .. not sure how he fixed the problem or if there was a problem at all to begin with?
Can't say if the story is true but it's hitting below the belt to come up with such fabrication if this in fact is not true.....there's already too much stress as is. Hang in there folks ..me included!! and take deep breaths. I call that forum pink forum for its background color..
it seems like telling multiple programs they are your number 1 is starting to become a problem this year? http://www.usmleforum.com/files/forum/2016/4/821377.php

Reactions: 1 user
The motive behind that post is suspect. The user has locked the thread and says that he has fixed the --problem .. not sure how he fixed the problem or if there was a problem at all to begin with?
Can't say if the story is true but it's hitting below the belt to come up with such fabrication if this in fact is not true.....there's already too much stress as is. Hang in there folks ..me included!! and take deep breaths. I call that forum pink forum for its background color..

I agree. Sounds fraudulent.