I didn't get in. . .MPH then DDS?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavity

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't get into any dental schools, i just got waitlisted but it doesn't look good. I have been admitted into a couple of Public Health programs though. I was thinking about getting an MPH from either Boston Univ. or Emory Univ. and then applying to dental schools again. Did anyone else do this? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Dentists with MPH degrees are actually quite common... The instructors here at my dental school who teach epidemiology, community dentistry and public dental health courses have MPH degrees in addition to their DDS.

So yep getting an MPH first can work.

Me, I attended an MS biology program before I reapplied to dental school to bolster my unremarkable undergraduate GPA. After maintaining a 4.0 average for two years in the masters program, I got into dental school no sweat.

So from personal experience I can say that going for a masters first before reapplying can work out quite well if you choose to go that route.

Good luck!

I have an MPH (George Washington Univ 2001).

I wouldn't recommend getting an MPH solely for the purposes of getting into dental school. I don't beleive it may be the best way for you to "bolster" your record for dental school admissions purposes:
1) MPH curricula gernerally don't have many science courses, therefore not many chances to increase your science GPA.
2) Unless you plan on going into dental public health, the training you'll receive in MPH won't be very useful assuming you get into dental school.
3) Assuming you don't get into dental school, you will be left with a degree in a social research field. If you don't plan on going into research as a back-up plan, then the degree is of no use to you.

Having said this, getting ANY graduate degree is better than nothing and getting an MPH will look better than applying again with just your bachelor's. If you DO plan on going, I would recommend going to Emory (of the 2 you mentioned):
1) Emory is situated near the CDC. Great for research/job opportunity.
2) The Rollins School of Public Health has the most resources for students of all the MPH programs I've seen

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope this doesn't discourage you from trying to get into dental school. If you don't mind me asking what were your stats when you applied. ALso what schools were you applying to as well? Instate or out of state schools. Maybe getting into MH programs is a blessing in disguise. You never know. Don't get discouraged becuase you got waitlisted as well, I have a friend who applied to medical school got waitlisted at all the schools he applied to. but a few weeks later someone dropped there spot to go somewhere else. It was very last minute. Now he goes to EMory medical school.

Thanks again
Hockeydentist:clap:

Hey there ! that was a nice thing to do. I don't know if i should apply for MPH or MS in oral biology/clinical research etc.
As in which amongst them would increase my chances of getting into DDS the most ?
Also suppose you dont get into a dental school even after that, then will an MS allow you to get a decent job ?

Dentists with MPH degrees are actually quite common... The instructors here at my dental school who teach epidemiology, community dentistry and public dental health courses have MPH degrees in addition to their DDS.

So yep getting an MPH first can work.

Me, I attended an MS biology program before I reapplied to dental school to bolster my unremarkable undergraduate GPA. After maintaining a 4.0 average for two years in the masters program, I got into dental school no sweat.

So from personal experience I can say that going for a masters first before reapplying can work out quite well if you choose to go that route.

Good luck!

Wayy to dig this post up from yester-year!

Reactions: 1 user