I don't know what to do anymore…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

believe <3

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This all sounds very poorly organized to me. June 2nd is in eleven days!! It doesn't sound like you are in a state to take the test that soon. You need to give it everything you've got and leave everything on the table ONCE. Don't go into it expecting a possibility of retaking it. If you prepare diligently, something goes horribly wrong, and you need to retake it, then so be it. But you should go into the test expecting it to be "Plan A".

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Let's just say I have to apply this cycle for a variety of reasons which would take forever to explain :(

Assuming I'm going to apply this cycle, which option would be best? Also, it's not like I've been slacking off for this test. I've studied and just am waiting to see what my AAMC scored test will be like before signing up.

I just wanted to figure out a plan if I find myself having to retake. In such a case, really how bad would the July 22 test be for a retake?

Depends on your gpa ec and test score. If you need to retake you won't be ready by July. And your scores won't come out til August. Overall not the best plan.

How have your practice test score been like?

From my experience this past cycle I believe it's better to have your app ready before applying. Take the year off. Do well on your mcat. Do more EC. If your mcat turns out bad you may be throwing away money.

Be patient. Your first shot usually is your best shot. Once again I do not recommend applying without a mcat score. And I do not recommend applying late.

At this point you want to have your personal statement finished and secondary statement started.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So you want to take a very high stakes, critical thinking exam that most people prepare for over a course of months in 11 days based off of what you get on the practice test you haven't taken yet? :smack::slap: Dude chill. Honestly I know in your head there is probably some grand reason as to why you absolutely have to apply this cycle but let me be very clear, There is absolutely nothing that should make someone "have" to apply in any cycle. Take your time and make sure you put in the right amount of effort, you only want to do this once, this isn't like applying to college. And lastly, Goodluck flying across the country to find an open seat in the 2nd. This late in the game is practically a guarantee that anywhere close will be all filled up.

It's very hard to improve on the MCAT in a month because you can't just go home and memorize more material to do better. It takes the development of logic and reasoning skills which takes time. This is why people find it so hard to improve on sections like CARS. So if you spend 3 months studying and fail to reach your target score, you likely won't reach it by scheduling for the next MCAT administration. However, if you spend 2 weeks studying and go into it unprepared and get a bad score, it's quite possible to get a higher score after 1 month. But that would beg the question of why you wouldn't just wait and take it the next month to begin with. Which would beg the question of why not wait until the next cycle since then you wouldn't have your scores back until August, which is very late in the cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Take the test only when you are 100% ready. The MD season is fine from June through Labor Day. Then it gets tougher.

Fo DO schools, the cycle is longer, all the way through Oct/Nov.

I think this is a bad idea, but tbh, I don't think I have any other options. But if you could hear me out and give me some advice, that would help tons!

I want to def apply this cycle, but I haven't taken my MCAT yet. I've been studying and am planning on signing up for the June 2 date after seeing my score on the AAMC test. If I can get at least a 510 on that, I think I will go ahead with June 2. If not, then I think I will go with the June 18 date instead.

BUT for either of these options, it looks like finding a date to retake the test will be difficult in case I'm in that situation. Here are my options:

1. Take the test June 2 (based on AAMC score). If I need to retake, sign up for July 9th test date as back-up w/o knowing your score (which comes back July 6). If the score is good, cancel July 9 and lose $300. This option may help me be early in the cycle…idk

2. Take the test June 2. If I need to retake, sign up for July 22nd after knowing my score. This saves me $300 and gives me more time to prep for retake.

3. Take the test June 18. If I need to retake, only option is to sign up for July 22 without knowing my score and then cancel when score comes out and if its good. But here also, lose $300.

Thoughts? At this point, money is being used up like water, so I'm just going to go with the option that will work best regardless. I would actually prefer Option 3 tbh. I could try to do my best for June 18, and then still keep July 22 handy in case I need to retake and still apply this cycle. Of course, I wouldn't stop studying.

However, is a July 22 retake date okay? How late would I be? I'll have everything prewritten and hopefully complete by late August at all med schools.

It seems like you're pretty confident that you'll have to retake your June 2 score. Why not just call the June 2 a loss and sign up for July 9th? That gives you 7 weeks to prepare and your application will be fine timewise (and you can apply this cycle). That way you can avoid the stress of cramming like mad for June 2, which is almost certainly a recipe for disaster. You want one solid score, not a bad one followed by a mediocre one five weeks later.

You can do a lot in 7 weeks, especially if you're studying full time, but you need to make sure you have a robust study plan. Take a practice test every week to get your timing down. Learn the common pitfalls and problem types. Then knock it out of the park and get into medical school.

am planning on signing up for the June 2

Just saw this...are you sure that you can even get this date in your area? Seats fill up pretty fast.

The planned immediate re-take is a sadly common "strategy."
I can't remember anyone admiring this behavior on my committee, without regard to the result.

So you're saying that if an applicant gets like a 510 on the June 2nd test but a 515+ on the July 22nd test, they will still be rejected at your school? :/

So you're saying that if an applicant gets like a 510 on the June 2nd test but a 515+ on the July 22nd test, they will still be rejected at your school? :/
The screener will question their judgement.

It seems like you're pretty confident that you'll have to retake your June 2 score. Why not just call the June 2 a loss and sign up for July 9th? That gives you 7 weeks to prepare and your application will be fine timewise (and you can apply this cycle). That way you can avoid the stress of cramming like mad for June 2, which is almost certainly a recipe for disaster. You want one solid score, not a bad one followed by a mediocre one five weeks later.

You can do a lot in 7 weeks, especially if you're studying full time, but you need to make sure you have a robust study plan. Take a practice test every week to get your timing down. Learn the common pitfalls and problem types. Then knock it out of the park and get into medical school.

Just saw this...are you sure that you can even get this date in your area? Seats fill up pretty fast.

I'm just worried that I won't have the time to retake if I have to…with July 9th, there is not even that option. Tbh, I don't even know if I will need to…it's just a fear strengthened by SDN :( after reading all the posts about how difficult the MCAT is for people that score even 520 on the practice, I'm feeling really discouraged.

I can get a date for June 2 (there are seats in my area, and I don't think they will close up). But now, I'm debating maybe just taking it June 18th instead for which there are currently no seats. I think some will open soon though hopefully.

Why do you feel that applying this cycle is such an important endeavor? News flash, it isn't.

The MCAT is a career deciding, high stakes exam. It is not to be approached so cavalierly, as you are doing.

Take it when you are 100% ready, even if it means skipping an app cycle . Med schools aren't going anywhere.

I'm just worried that I won't have the time to retake if I have to…with July 9th, there is not even that option. Tbh, I don't even know if I will need to…it's just a fear strengthened by SDN :( after reading all the posts about how difficult the MCAT is for people that score even 520 on the practice, I'm feeling really discouraged.

I can get a date for June 2 (there are seats in my area, and I don't think they will close up). But now, I'm debating maybe just taking it June 18th instead for which there are currently no seats. I think some will open soon though hopefully.

Reactions: 4 users
The MCAT is a career deciding, high stakes exam. It is not to be approached so cavalierly, as you are doing.

Take it when you are 100% ready, even if it means skipping an app cycle . Med schools aren't going anywhere.

MCAT is only small fry. At worst, you get suckered into pursuing a medical career. At best, you've spent 500 bucks to learn that this career path is full of BS and you're dodging a huge bullet to the bank account, bill of mental health, and personal relationships fund.

Now, STEP1 is a career deciding, high stakes exam. And there are no effing do-overs with that one too.

Reactions: 1 users
Remember that you can only take mcat 3 times in the year. I agree with goro, use caution.

Every time you do a retake, it generally makes it harder for you. Take the test when you feel you are ready. Your plan as stated is not a good one and it's a recipe for failure. You don't want to apply late in the cycle either. You can wait a year if it gives you a better application. You want your first application to be your best.

Failing to preparing is preparing to fail. Proceed with great caution.

Okay, I have an update, I just took the AAMC unscored and got the following percentages:

C/P - 83%
CARS - 98%
B/B - 81%
P/S - 86%

Does anyone know what that translates to? To be more conservative about my score range, and since the sample test is supposed to be easier than the real deal, I'm going to decrease my percentages. So, lets say I got:

C/P - 78%
CARS - 90%
B/B - 75%
P/S - 83%

What would this score be?

Now, based on the above scores, can you all please give me some advice on whether I will be okay to take the test and apply this cycle? As I said, everything else about my app is good. I'm thinking if I can take the test June 18 with a little more review in the sciences, I might be okay?

Also, fyi, I received 83% on the P/S section bank, 88% on Physics Q-pack, 90% on Gchem. Q-pack, 83% on CARS Q-pack 1 and 88% on CARS pack-2 (but these CARS scores are bit inflated since I did these last year, but had never checked my work)

@gyngyn @Goro @gonnif @aldol16
Now that I have some concrete evidence, I was hoping you could help me! Thanks again :)

Let's just say I have to apply this cycle for a variety of reasons which would take forever to explain :(
Well you can apply this season but if you do poorly... you are forced to take another year...